No announcement yet.

Antibiotics & Alcohol.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harumph! OH tells me my new medication says not with alcohol - strangely it's to stop my world spinning and my falling down! Perhaps that's how it works - just stops me drinking, cos it doesn't seem to do much otherwise
    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

That makes good sense but how many of us today really really need antibiotics. If a good dose of 'owsyourfather' does the trick - go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
        That makes good sense but how many of us today really really need antibiotics. If a good dose of 'owsyourfather' does the trick - go for it.
        That usually comes after the alcohol.
        Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Remind me not to give Lily a whisky tonight!!!!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Professionally speaking alcohol is an absolute no no with Metronidazole as this has what is known as an antabuse effect when mixed with booze (throw up, very sick, low blood pressure, risk of kicking the bucket etc.) all others general advice is around moderation being OK, true alcohol has a diuretic effect so some antibiotics that are excreted in urine may have a faster excetion rate but normally that is not clinically significant.

Not professionally speaking - alcohol makes me feel good )
            The cats' valet.

Comment

Originally posted by dogsbody View Post
              Not professionally speaking - alcohol makes me feel good )
              OMG..we must be from the same genetic stock cousin!!!!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos: aren't we all??? Must be something in the ethanol....

Comfreyfan: alcohol makes me spin and fall down too! (Puts professional head on) medication for dizziness often has drowsy side effects so alcohol avoidance is advised to stop the booze adding to the drowsiness. In many cases there is no black & white with medicines, ask your local doc or pharmacist for specific personal advice (takes professional head off and goes back to glass...)
                The cats' valet.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  OMG..we must be from the same genetic stock cousin!!!!
                  I'm naturally from this group too!! Well normally that is, at the moment I feel like I've been drinking for much too long and I haven't touched a drop - Not in a good way though
                  Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                  So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
                    That usually comes after the alcohol.
                    You could'nt have put it better

Comment

Well here's the advice from th NHS on whether you can drink alcohol while taking antibiotics. You can take it or leave it.
                      Can I drink alcohol while taking antibiotics?

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

That's useful, thank you.

It's never occurred to me that different types of alcohol should be avoided depending on which antibiotics one is taking.
                        If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          It's more like SONN-fwah
                          have a listen (click the play button) sangfroid pronunciation: How to pronounce sangfroid in French (Français)
                          Originally posted by Incy View Post
                          I'm not convinced the French would understand you if you pronounced it like that. The 'w' is actually a rolled 'r' and it's virtually impossible to write the word phonetically for an English language speaker in my opinion
                          Also it is pronounced very differently in different regions

As far as the alcohol and antibiotics is concerned, I heard some years ago that it was an old wives tale but do know people who find they get drunk quicker if they are taking them.
                          I just copied the pronunciation off the dictionary (but what would they know!)
                          Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                          Snadger - Director of Poetry
                          RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                          Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                          Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                          piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                            I just copied the pronunciation off the dictionary (but what would they know!)
                            Sorry Ollie, didn't mean to be pedantic but being a French speaker I just couldn't help myself
                            Last edited by Incy; 24-10-2009, 09:56 AM.

Comment

As it was I fell asleep before getting to open anything last night!but my new found knowledge is bound to help me through the X Factor later!.....not "through" as in "through",just sitting down with the kiddies enjoying some good ole family viewing!!!
                              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Incy View Post
                                Sorry Ollie, didn't mean to be pedantic but being a French speaker I just couldn't help myself
                                Nah that's cool, I know what you mean.
                                I regularly have a conversation with my Ma about pronunciation. Being a Spanish speaker, she insists that people pronounce "Jalapeno" as "Halapenyo", but my argument is that we aren't Spanish and so don't pronounce Js as Hs.
                                My favourite example for this is that the French capital is "Paris" which they would pronounce "Parie", but you'd be considered up yourself for trying to do in England. (I'm sure that's not exactly right, but i'm talking from a layman's perspective).

As a French speaker, you may be able to help me; what's the French for baguette?
                                Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                                Snadger - Director of Poetry
                                RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                                Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                                Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                                piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X