No announcement yet.

Potato seeds are deadly nightshade?!?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I thought you weren't supposed to compost potato (or tomato) plants because it increases the risk of spreading any undetected diseases back into the soil when you apply it.

Or did I dream this/make it up to sound interesting/invent it out of pure dementia?
    Last edited by OllieMartin; 02-10-2009, 03:12 PM.
    Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
    Snadger - Director of Poetry
    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
      Well I thought you weren't supposed to compost potato (or tomato) plants because it increases the risk of spreading any undetected diseases back into the soil when you apply it.

Or did I dream this/make it up to sound interesting/invent it out of pure dementia?

Nearly all crops are capable of holding 'undetected diseases' in the bits you don't use. A good compost heap should get hot enough to kill off most things... shouldn't it?
      Maybe potato/tomato is a particular problem if you want to use the compost on next year's potato patch, but otherwise.......
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

You can add you potato haulms to the compost heap no problem as long as there is no blight in them. You would be very sick if you were to eat the potato haulms or berries.
        There is a famous story about when potatoes were first brought to the Uk and the haulms were made into soup and almost killed all the royals of that time period. Potatoes were actually banned after that.
        Potato videos here.

Comment

thanks tattieman, i was hoping you'd stop by! So by adding to the compost heap, you;re not doing any harm is that right?

Comment

There should be no harm to humans and as I said the only thing that could happen is that you could put disease into your pile but I wouldn't really worry.
            Potato videos here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X