Clearing out your kitchen cupboards

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearing out your kitchen cupboards

OK, I confess! I've just been clearing out my kitchen cupboard, which is always well stocked, (so I thought!) with lots of herbs, spices etc. Some tins, etc etc. I obviously, don't do this on a regular basis. I have to confess that there were 3 tins and 3 jars of spices dated 2008! go on - what's the oldest thing you've ever thrown out of your kitchen cupboard?
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Not very old, but just thrown away a tub of unopened tamarind paste from 2001 - I was sure it said 2010!
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

My OH, He gets under my feet He's 44.
      Last edited by ginger ninger; 28-09-2009, 06:25 PM.

Comment

A tin of Bird's custard powder which was 4 years out of date...

I hadn't used it since I learned how to make proper custard with egg yolks and vanilla pod... Yummy

Comment

Ummm..... about 4 weeks ago - turned out the spice cupboard...... some 'raw' papadoms dated 2004

Errr........

overdue what?

Tery
          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Well I haven't done it properly yet ( see the "I've won a kitchen" thread ) but I did recently chuck out a tin (can't remember what of) which bore a "Hillards" price tag, Tesco bought them out in 1987 !!!!
            The cats' valet.

Comment

My sister knows me too well - she sent me a recipe the other day with the instruction:

"add 1 good tsp of mixed spice (2 if it's a bit 'old')"

Comment

A few years ago at Christmas - visiting elderly mother - made a turkey curry to use up leftovers- curry powder was priced in old shillings and pence and the rice was 12 years out of date (had to throw them all out in the end) - much tutting about the waste from Ma.
                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I used some out of date tamarind when I made a Malay whole sea bass thing on Saturday. Tasted fine. Mr R throws out anything that's 12 seconds past its sell by date, whereas I 'take a view' on things...
                  I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Threw away my tin of black treacle last year which I only use when I make Christmas cakes when I realised the date said 1997. Had been using it quite happily and only really threw it out as it was pretty much empty.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

When we moved last August, we threw out a few packets of stuff that we'd bought with us when we moved in 10 years earlier!
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Years ago when me and ex moved out of house that we had only lived in for a couple of years I found a bottle of squash cant remember if it was out of date or not but it wouldnt have got used as it was in the ................................loft along with some other strange things that you wouldnt put in the loft, when I asked him why he said he had tided up in a hurry and didnt know where else to put them.
                        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                        and ends with backache

Comment

People throw away tins?
                          That's one of the things I barely even notice the use by date on. If the tin's intact the stuff inside is usually just fine.

The real laugh is that when use by dates were brought in they had absolutely nothing to do with food safety and everything to do with big comfortable margins of error to stopr companies getting sued and keeping stock turning over so everyone involved makes more profits.

I wouldn't so much as bat an eyelid at tins that were a long way out of date if the tin was still sound.

Of course, if it smelled off I wouldn't bother, but I trust my eyes and nose far more than a label with a date on it.

Comment

Lol..my cat..its around 9 yrs old I think, and snucks in after its biscuit box when I turn around
                            Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

My old neighbour always refused tea at our house...possibly because I admitted that as neither Andi nor I drink the stuff the teabags we had were from when we moved in four years previous!(do they go out of date????)
                              I've actually had cleaning out the cupboards on my little list in my head of things to do for quite some time,I shall let you know...although as we've only been here for two years,I would hope there's nothing too bad....other than the nettle tea which I think is 2003 but my mate's assured me if I keep it long enough the foul smellingness will dissipate,therefore make it a little more palatable!
                              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X