Grrr Credit card fraud!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well,
    I just had to pay last months bill ( I don't want interest charges for beig late just to add insult to injury) and it proved incredibly difficult to do. By entering my card number it automatically rerouted me to the fraud team. They then told me to call customer services again and not put my number in and someone would pick up.
    I did this and it asked me about 16 times to enter my number before I was finally transferred
    As soon as I gave the lady the number she wanted to put me through to the security team. I all but shouted NOOOOOOO! at this point.

Comment

My Boyfriends company Credit card was cloned twice... at petrol stations.

The 1st time it happened the boss called him in and said "look its daft but the credit card company need me to ask you... have you ordered a pizza in Bristol..? And a Sky TV subscription in Glasgow...?"

He was in Leicester at the time.
      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

My sympathies - I'm only just back to normal after it happened to me recently, and it was my 3rd time too (with different cards). Thankfully everything was refunded, but it means we all have to pay extortionate interest charges to compensate for all this crime.

As advised by the bank and credit card company, I now use my credit card instead of debit card for any electronic transactions. As they say, that way it's their money being spent so they're far quicker at sorting it out.
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

My mate got cloned, and a huge bill, and it took the card company months to pay up cos he travels lots anyway so had problems proving where he was (if you follow that)
          So he got two of those prepay credit cards..puts enough on one for a couple of days if hes travelling, only uses the real one for booking holidays or buying large items or where the guarentee is important. One is purely for petrol.
          Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

wow. I am shocked at just how many of us have had this unpleasant experience
            It certainly doesn't inspire confidence in the security of these cards.
            I am glad I had set up the internet verification page though as that was one of the flags to their system. It may mean an extra page to fill in when purchasing things but if you don't know the info you can't get past it
            Last edited by Incy; 29-09-2009, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I am sorry this happened to you. Luckily so far it hasnt happened to us. My bank card only lets me have cash, our joint account is different I can use it to pay for things but tend to use cash most of the time. I buy my petrol at Tesco's and do use card, and OH uses his to buy food at same place, they now have a policy that staff do not have to touch the card but loads of customers hand it to staff. If I want to get cash out, nine time's out of ten I use the machine inside the bank.
              Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
              and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by Incy View Post
                By entering my card number it automatically rerouted me to the fraud team. They then told me to call customer services again ... the lady ...wanted to put me through to the security team. I all but shouted NOOOOOOO! at this point.
                I had a call t'other day from Mr Sheds' credit card company. An Indian lady, reading from a script
                "please ask him to phone us" I said 'he is abroad, on a boat'. "please ask him to call us".
                "I can't get hold of him, can I help you?" I said.
                "I'm sorry madam I cannot discuss this with you".
                "look, are you calling because he's used his card abroad?" I told her where he was, how long he was away, etc.
                "sorry madam I cannot discuss this with you".
                (I told him he needed to inform his CC company he was going abroad, but does he rissen?)
                Anyway, I sent him a facebook message for next time he logged on.
                Apparently he spent 20 mins trying to phone the number on the back of his card, and nobody picked up.
                He facebooked me back, I found him another number and he finally got through, only to be told "oh yes, we know you are in ******, your wife told us".

grrrrrrr!
                But at least they spotted irregular activity on his card, eh?
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 29-09-2009, 08:48 AM.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Grrrr indeed TS. I have had my cards blocked abroad on countless occasions as I travel for work so am frequently out of the country. I don't mind if I've gone somewhere new as they always sort it out quickly on the phone but if I am in NL where I go ( or at least went) at least once a month it really irritates me as it's not unusual activity. Mind you I would rather that than have them let real fraud happen!

Comment

our local co-op store had one of those gizmo's that clones cards on the outside of the card slot. police only discovered it when angry customer had card caught in machine gives it a smack and the top of the card machine falls away to reveal all the gubbings.
                    very profesional fit out with card decals and everything so it is easy to get cloned/conned
                    this will be a battle from the heart
                    cymru am byth

Comment

whenever I use a cash machine to get cash out I put my hand over the hand that is entering the pin - if you see what I mean.

I've no idea if this would prevent what Phil mentions above, but it is a habit I have and can't break it
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by phil the shed View Post
                        our local co-op store had one of those gizmo's that clones cards on the outside of the card slot. police only discovered it when angry customer had card caught in machine gives it a smack and the top of the card machine falls away to reveal all the gubbings.
                        very profesional fit out with card decals and everything so it is easy to get cloned/conned
                        How weird is that cos one of the co-op's near me was done in the summer and loads were caught out and had money taken.
                        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                        and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X