Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm definitely having a beer or three tonight!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm definitely having a beer or three tonight!

It's been a tough week.

Monday - called into a meeting (which I'm supposedly chair of) and after the usual run through, and A.O.B, the MD announces that we're closing our manufacturing, and there is another round (3rd in 12 months) of redundancies.

This time in sufficient numbers to have to notify the BERR (dept for Business, Enterprise and somethign something...)

Today, we have a further meeting to supposedly agree the set selection criteria for said redundancies (outside those in manufacturing).

So, our committe - which up until now has been seen as a fairly Mickey Mouse committee, and not really had much to do other than be there in the first place (long story), but now we have a pretty darned hefty and difficult task on our hands (or so it would appear).

Those on the committee are not guaranteed to remain in employment so we're effectively setting the criteria for our own possible redundancy.

The frustrating thing from my point of view is that, as chair people assume that I know what's going on (which of course is only natural), but in reality I know nothing more than they do and cannot answer the innevitable questions they are asking.

Wish me luck!
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
    The frustrating thing ... is that ...people assume that I know what's going on
    Stuck in the middle then? You don't have to choose who goes, do you?

have one on me Wayne

All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Maybe you should have the beer before the meeting Wayne Hope it goes smoothly big guy
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Stuck in the middle then? You don't have to choose who goes, do you?
        Heavens no, thank good.

I'm a department of one, I'm not a "manager" and report directly to the MD (who retires at the end of the year).

2010 is a new start in many ways, the company is being restructured - maybe a little earlier than we all expected, but still...

My only hope is that this new restructuring (which is from group level - above our MD even), and the "job offer" I receieved from "group" some weeks ago, means that I will still be here come the reckoning, but in a different capacity.

That in itself fills me with some guilt because I've been asked to remain hush-hush about the job (which I still don't have the details on), until I have a meeting with my new potential boss at the beginning of November.

Man I hate the unknown!

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Man, that sucks. I can't imagine how our people felt when they worked out how to choose who was going to be made redundant. Not a pleasant job, I don't envy you. I just hope that everybody is okay and that you can ride the storm. ((((((((((((((((((((((BIG HUG)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Comment

HW - I completely sympathise. I left my last company just before they went into administration...and before that just left another company before they closed our [luton] office.

We are still waiting to hear on a contract...if it goes ahead then I'm good - if not them I'm not. The last meeting was cancelled due to my guv's wife's brother dying of cancer within a week of diagnosis.....so I'm stuck between being worried for me and complete sympathy for the family and the horrid situation there.....and that's after I had to be absorbed into the guv's wife's company last month to save on having two separate companies running [easier on the finances to merge the 2].......and receiving a P45 through the post with no prior warning [it does put things into perspective when you have an unexpected P45 straight from the accountant!!!].

But, that's life...what will be will be.....just keep a clear head on deciding the criteria and above all be fair and honest. Not that you need that advice, you are one of the fairest and honestest people I know.......

Comment

Heywayne good luck, it's such difficult times.
              The company that I work for are having to do similar things, we live with it daily- never knowing if you are the one to be called into the office next. I cant plan even a weekend at the moment. It's horrid
              I am thinking of you and all the people you work with and wish better things to come.

Comment

Poor you!
                Is there any way you can get a bit more information so that you are better placed to answer questions?
                I do hope you manage to ride the storm and get the criteria set out in as clear and fair a way possible.
                The company I work for are going through a restructure which will see a 10-20% reduction in the work force. I am expecting my 1st notice of redundancy in the next few weeks and unless a new role comes up internally and I get it, will be out of work come April. As it coincides with the whole restructure there will be loads of people going for the same jobs so I can only cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Comment

HW - you can always say that they have chosen the committee to put the criteria forward for a reason, and thus you can be fair and honest BECAUSE you don't know what is going on.....use it to your advantage.

Comment

This happened to me in April, but I was on the receiving end of the redundancies. DON'T feel guilty because you have been offered another job within the company big guy, grab it with both hands and hang on to it, at least you have some sort of input as to what may happen, and I wish you the best of luck, you've got Lady Wayne n Bean to think about, there's no sentimentality in business.
                    I on the other hand found out on the local T.V news before I went to work that we were going to close, and to add insult to injury, On London fashion week this week the dam company I worked for made half yearly profits off wait for it....£100,000,000.. yes, that's one hundred million. I could tell you what I really think to them, but I'm too much of a lady.
                    Last edited by ginger ninger; 25-09-2009, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Well, just been in to have a chat with one of "the management" (board director in this case), and he has said that "the management" (board and managers in this instance) will set the criteria and we (the committee) are there as a conduit to "the staff" and have to agree that all is fair.

However, each indivual (staff member) can raise issues if they deem them unfair, but it is encouraged that they approach the issue via the committee.

I guess we've become what is effectively a union (not having any experience of unions I am making assumptions).

I'm glad I put my hand up to be on the committee, and that I volunteered to chair it (some 18 months ago now), but I wish I had some idea of what was:

a) going on
                      b) my responsibilities

I don't envy those setting the criteria, and I'm glad I'm not a manager (of staff) and have to have "those" conversations when the time comes.

When all is said and done - it's all academic to a degree because I can go home and Bean gives me a huge smile when he sees me which makes it all pail in comparison.

Sorry to offload this here, but I needed a vent.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Hi Chuck - I think you need to read up on redundancy procedures......good luck big fella.

Acas - Redundancy

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                          Hi Chuck - I think you need to read up on redundancy procedures......good luck big fella.

Acas - Redundancy
                          Cheers missus, I'm deeply embedded in this one at the moment:

Redundancy selections and notice periods : Directgov - Employment

There's a lot to take in ent there?

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Oh joy

Not nice.x
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Poor you, ((((hugs)))).
                              When my kids were at Pre-school, I was asked to join the committee and happily agreed think I'd be helping out here and there, making cakes etc - WRONG! 10 months later it emerged that the pre-school was in serious financial trouble and the committee members were resposible for sorting out the mess! None of us had any experience of dealing with this sort of thing, it was horrible. We had to tell all the parents and kids make the staff redundant and sort out their entitlements. Sell off anything and everything, beg the council to lets us off rent payments. It went on for months, not knowing if we were going to be taken to court etc, finally the PLA covered our debts.
                              My advice? NEVER join a committee without knowing what you're getting into.
                              Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X