Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gardening things are on your Santa List?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want the excess shrubs drastically pruned, to make space for growing fruit and veg! A few bags of compost to fill the tyre-planter I have planned would be handy too. Our local tyre-garage have promised me as many tyres as I want to build a 'wall' on the boundary where the slope is steepest, then raspberries and a goosberry bush to plant in it, but need that ^&^&* leylandii cut down first!
    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I've just had my birthday, so I got some lovely new tools. But what I'd really love for xmas is loads of scaffolding planks to make some raised beds, some well-rotted manure, some weed control membrane, some enviromesh, a jostaberry bush and some raspberry canes. I may get one of those things if I'm lucky, but probably none of them.

Mrs J

Comment

While not technically 'gardening stuff' it is a Christmas present, and will be in the garden - a hen house (a plastic shed actually). The best thing is 'Santa' has promised to bring it to me early, and all going well it will be here within the next couple of weeks! (THANKS MOM) Then come the chucks ..... I can't wait!
        A good beginning is half the work.
        Praise the young and they will make progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
          I've also just about made up my mind to buy myself a Kelly Kettle. (google them) in the small size. Our site is too small to have sheds and I know I could go home for a brew, it's only 200 yds, but it interrupts your flow. So I could brew up on the plot. It would also come in handy for days out in the country with Himself. We have a camping stove but it's surely more green to use twigs and pine cones for your fuel than a gas cannister? By buying it for myself I don't have to be good!
          I have a Ghillie kettle (pretty much the same thing) that I bought for the allotment, it's really good, am amazed by how quickly it warms up the water. Managed to get it at a reasonable price off ebay.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

My daughter's birthday is Christmas Eve, Amanda. And it isn't cheeky to ask for things to go with your Chrissy present. She says that there has to be some advantage to it, and that's it. She asked for accessories for her bike when she was younger, then got the bike itself on Christmas Day. We always made a huge fuss of her birthday though as it would have been unfair if we hadn't and her friends' mums were always pleased to ship their kids off to her party for a few hours and let them get on with the preparations. My Nan's birthday was November 17th, I always used to start thinking about Christmas once that was out of the way. Sadly she's no longer with us, but our next grandson is due on that date so now I'll probably start to think about Christmas after his birthday.
            My birthday is in just under 4 weeks and my family already have a long list of gardening related things that I want. I asked mum for a pair of geese. She agreed, but only if I collect them myself.
            Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I've been dropping "HUGE" hints about a nice lean too green house (I've had a photo of one on the fridge with an arrow saying "this one"). The one I've been using is one of the heavy duty plastic one's, and I might add has been a god send.... I can but hope.

Comment

Looking at Flum's post I realised I already had one of these Kelly Kettles but mine was called a Storm Kettle, bought about 8 yrs ago- I really got it for my OH to make tea whilst I got on with the hard work! Boils water in no time on very little fuel - one tip: take dry twigs to the lottie with you as damp takes a lot longer. All the other allotmenteers comment and seem dead impressed!
                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                  Wasps eat Cabbage White Caterpillars.....I'll get some sent right round.
                  There ain't that many wasps alive in the whole of Leicestershire to kill all my caterpillars I have the best green lace curtains going.
                  The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                  Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by pdblake View Post
                    Nets, nets, more nets
                    Nets don't stop the Cabbage whites I watched the little
                    B....B......B......B....BLIGHTERS crawl under nets,
                    The next lottie to me has nets & they still have green lace curtains
                    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

I'd go for a Ghillie Flum. They have a whistle. Which is safer and easier and also means you can't leave the bung the others have instead, in by accident.

I'd also go for the bigger version. It's not much more than the small one and you know you'll want to brew up for more than one person!
                      Last edited by BFG; 24-09-2009, 06:13 AM.

Comment

I would like glass demijohns, lots of em.
                        the plastic ones just don't blup
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

i'm a christmas birthday too and I'm gettng a wormery as my joint pressie
                          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by BFG View Post
                            I'd go for a Ghillie Flum. They have a whistle. Which is safer and easier and also means you can't leave the bung the others have instead, in by accident.

I'd also go for the bigger version. It's not much more than the small one and you know you'll want to brew up for more than one person!
                            A pint will make a mug full for the 2 of us. I'm going to fossick around in a local 'outdoors' type shop and see what they've got.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

It's my birthday in the first week of January, which is also rubbish!

I've asked for some socks. No, don't laugh.... I go through proper thick walking socks like no-one's business, so I need some more!

I also want some raised beds for the polytunnel and a second wheelbarrow....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X