No announcement yet.

Safari Lunch

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we used to hold these when I was in 18 Plus. I always preferred to provide the pudding course - since I have a very sweet tooth!

Comment

Well, I'm back from my safari and it was rather splendid.

Our first venue was just two minutes walk from our new house, a beautiful medieval house with an inscribed beam that looked like it had come from a ship. Our host served us homemade savoury biscuits and huge green olives with a drinkette, then we went into his dining room and he gave us a tapas starter of gaspacho soup, frittata, pea and something fritters and a confit of onions served with bread - all home made from scratch. It was gorgeous and so tasty.

Our second venue was another two minute stroll up the road, a double fronted Victorian house which had been the tank regiments' cookhouse during the Second World War. Here we had a sherry, and then an enormous roast of pork with excellent crackling, roast potatoes, apple sauce, new potatoes, runner beans, carrots, broccoli and gravy. Perfect!

Then we had another two minute stroll round to the church barn where everyone met up for dessert, cheese and biscuits, coffee and mints!!

I have to say, I think we were very lucky, as mentioned before, I assumed it was just a walking safari, so we had a glass of wine at the first venue (you don't find out your next destination until you've eaten your starter). Later we discovered that some people had had to drive two or three miles between courses, well we'd have been stuck!! I don't normally drink at lunchtime, and that first glass hit me like a tonne of bricks!! We'll know better for next time.

We covered a huge range of subject matter on our conversations - some of which I just had to bite my tongue for out of respect for my hosts, but it takes all sorts to make a world and all in all we had a lovely day and met some interesting people, and that's what it was all about really.

Comment

Sounds lovely,
        Glad you enjoyed it

Comment

Sounds tops. As I said before, I think its a great idea, and now you'll know those faces next time you see them.

Afternoon drinking?? I love it!!
          Bob Leponge
          Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X