Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot media device???

Anyone know what one is?
    A friends brother has "fixed"(???) our computer.However when we turn it on it has a boot failure(?)...tells us to either reboot or enter a boot media device then press any key to reboot...tried pressing any key without the booting,but it didn't want to know!

I'd ask the chap that fixed it but he's gone away!...before you worry he did a runner with our cash...we still owe him a chocolate cake!
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

If you have a floppy drive there is a disk in it.
    Check that the Optical Drives do not have a disc in them.
    Boot to BIOS and check that the HDD is reconsed and that the boot optoins are correct.

If all that is ok...then you don't have an Operating System installed or the bootloader is currupt.
    My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Cheers NOG!
      Bit busy getting the kiddies to sleep,otherwise I'd check myself...maybe Andi can have a look when he's home!

If the latter,does that mean basically that our computer is condemned afterall?

Comment

No...you just need to reinstall the OS.

It sounds like he has left a disk in the DVD/CD drive and the PC is trying to boot from that.
        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Eject any/all disk drives - remove any discs and try rebooting........

Comment

Hi Nog,its Andi here,,,,hi!Im very computer illiterate so excuse me,, whats an os & how do I know if boot options are correct?says Quickboot mode is disabled!

Comment

os = operating system

typically is because the install cd is left in the cd rom drive
              if software was reinstalled it could be that there is more than one version of the operating software installed which can cause startup issues
              if your friend open up your computer it is possible the hard disk power or data cable have become loose
              failing that yes its a case of reinstalling software
              Last edited by enrich100; 08-08-2009, 09:19 PM.
              Thought For The Day
              If a plum tomato breaks the law when it’s young
              Would it’s criminal past ketchup with it later?

Comment

Right...it's Di back!
                There indeed was a disc in one of the slots,we've removed that & turned off & on again.At present we have a screen up who's heading is AMIBIOS EASY (???????)SETUP UTILITY
                PnP OS is set to NO
                next on the list is Reset configuration data.Do we want that to say yes or no?

Comment

In that case.....I would recomend waiting till your friend is back of find a 5year old..who will help.

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
                    In that case.....I would recomend waiting till your friend is back of find a 5year old..who will help.
                    Damn!!!Ash has JUST gone to sleep!

Comment

Sorry we cross posted.....Turn it right off and reboot it again...if that AMiBIOS comes up check no.

Comment

say no typically press esc key, it will ask you to save select yes, hopefully machine will restart
                        Last edited by enrich100; 08-08-2009, 09:27 PM.
                        Thought For The Day
                        If a plum tomato breaks the law when it’s young
                        Would it’s criminal past ketchup with it later?

Comment

Thanks all!x
                          Think however our best bet is to sswitch off & wait for our friends brothers return!...that's not saying your help is not appreciated,more we really are as illiterate as we thought!!!
                          Cheers for trying!xxx

Comment

Boot media device means you put it on the floor and give it a good kicking!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If it weren't for the unsaved piccies Snadge,I think that's about where I'm at!!!
                              I've got several books to read & a mountain of housework/food preserving to do...so it can wait!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X