Cash or Card

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NOG View Post
    Everything goes on the cards I use 2. 1 gives 1% cashback at the end of the month the other adds up the spends and gives you 1% of your total spend back in Jan. I pay them off in full every month. Plus I use every voucher and reward card I can find.
    another money saving expert

I find cards easier, tbh. But I am very frugal, so getting into debt isn't a problem. I know how much I have to spend, and don't go silly.

It's also useful, because when things break, I have a (credit card) receipt.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

It's quite rare that I have cash on me now days, everything is done by card, though I might sometimes get 10-20 quid out but that's it.
      Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Comment

Originally posted by digthatchick View Post
        Cash - if you ain't got it you can't spend it!
        Me two, i don't like cards...cash works for me

Comment

For 'personal' spending, debit card 99% of the time, except small amounts, and those are cash.
          Supermarket is credit card, because the 'quick check' system comes with a card, but it is paid off every month automatically!
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I got into debt a few years ago; not as much as some of the stories you hear, but enough to be worrying. I've cleared it now, and I use cash just about all the time. I've got rid of all but one of my credit cards, as it is useful if you have a car, you never know if you'll need a new tyre or a minor repair when you're miles from home. And I buy a small amount of shopping or petrol every few months (about 10 pound's worth), just to keep the account ticking over, and pay it off in full when the statement comes

There's nothing like seeing those Queen's heads going over the counter to make you relise just hw much you're spending

Comment

Cash wherever possible, only use credit card for emergencies or one off purchases.

Comment

Cash is quicker±!

Comment

If people pay with card its usually a debit card rather than a credit card. Its just more and more seem to be paying by cash and not for the small amounts, I mean £40 plus, and mostly £80 plus.
                  Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                  and ends with backache

Comment

That means they are getting cash in hand for work?!

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                      That means they are getting cash in hand for work?!
                      Or stuffing it under the mattress lol. Instead of using banks.
                      and ends with backache

Comment

Having previously worked for a high street bank for 21 years (having left 10 years ago), I'm interested to hear that others think that people are going back to cash. Tend to do weekly shopping with cash, debit card for clothes shopping and use one of two credit cards for larger purchases e.g. car insurance/new glasses etc etc - especially as I get points - but I always pay them off.

Comment

During harder times I suggest that people find it easier to control their budget using cash. By making a lump sum withdrawal at a bank (or cash point) it is easier to keep a track of total spending and where the money goes. Using cards, ones funds just dribble away into a seemingly bottomless pit with little idea as to where all the money was spent.

Comment

Originally posted by rana View Post
                            By making a lump sum withdrawal at a bank (or cash point) it is easier to keep a track of total spending and where the money goes.
                            I think it depends on the individual and how disciplined they are.
                            Mr Sheds pays cash, and carries around wodges of it. Ripe for pickpocketing, he is.
                            He has no idea where it goes ... it really does seem to burn a hole in his pocket, and if he runs out he just draws some more.

Myself, I keep a float in my purse of about £30 for small purchases, and everything else goes on the debit card. I can see from my bank statement what I'm spending and where.
                            Mind you, I don't hobby- or impulse-shop. I only shop if I need something. He shops because he is bored.

Comment

Originally posted by petal View Post
                              Cash is quicker±!
                              Not if the checkout person can't add up.
                              Try giving the "odd 13p" and see how it confuses them. I used to manage a store, and the tills were always, always wrong, despite being computerised. People just can't do mental arithmetic any more.
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 13-07-2009, 07:26 AM.

Comment

What is so annoying that when you take out cash it has to be muliples of £10 so annoying if you want something inbetween cos you take out more than you need. If you pay by card you pay the exact amount, therefore saving a bit for next time.
                                and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X