Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you growing for the first time???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I try to grow something new every year,my Dad used to do it.This year it's water cress,sometimes it's just a new variety of something I've always grown,like this years tatties.Never grown Anya,Harlequin or Moulin Rouge before,failures never to be grown again include celtuce and self blanching celery,the kids guinea pigs ended up fatter that year.

Comment

I'm growing Oca (Oxalis tuberosa) in an old galvanised dustbin. Heard so many reports both good and bad that I had to try it for myself. Just hope the oxalic acid doesn't kill us.
      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
      >
      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Kohl Rabi - got 100 starting to swell up in the posh walled garden and have just planted out 200 Superschmelz this evening
        Globe Artichokes - from seed, again in posh walled garden. Seem to be doing well though slow to start growing away after planting out.
        Aubergines - got some in the greenhouse at the posh walled garden and 28 (I think) in my tunnel - favoured food of the horny gollachs but are now starting to flower
        Asparagus - yet again in the walled garden - will let you know how well it does in 2011
        Florence Fennel - again the posh walled garden !! about 300 of them in.
        Butternut Squash - 5 plants in the tunnel - wasn't planned but was given the plants by a customer who didn't realise they got so big.

You may have noticed that the walled garden features large in the growing of these new veg - my 5 acres is way too exposed for most of these to be viable at my own place.
        Last edited by sewer rat; 07-07-2009, 08:35 PM.
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Broccoli, Brussels and Pumpkins are new to our garden this year.

Comment

I'm trying Gherkins, got 4 plants in the polytunnel and they are looking good . Never tasted them before so dont know what to expect..........

Comment

First time growing Tumbling Toms, I previously grew all cordons - and of course still have some cordons this year.

Also, I'm growing squash for the first time and really looking forward to them - I hope they produce.
              My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

The Kohl Rabbi should do well for you Nicos. Harvest by tennis ball size. They're worth a late sowing and stand well into the winter.

The challenge for me this year is Pepino - melon pears. They're lovely big plants and doing little purple flowers - but no fruits.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

It's my first time for PSB and for aubergines, which are starting to flower but taking over in my small greenhouse.
                  Having read previous posts on Kohl Rabbi, that could well be my choice for something new next year.

Comment

for me this year the newbies are:

beetroot - bolt hardy. Pulled 2 2nite as disappointed with onions so needed cheering up
                    A weird hybrid 1 bulb garlic / onion thingy - OK but a weak version of both so just a bit odd
                    Bright Light Chard - very pretty and chooks are loving it too
                    Perpetual spinach - great home made pesto & chook treat
                    organic rocket - much tastier than other varieties but goes to seed very quickly
                    Muzuma - also great home made pesto, seedlings for 3rd sow have struggled in heat though
                    Sweet corn - I can see the cobs starting already & need to stalk them before wind break em
                    Shhh! dont tell anyone but it looks like the only remaining fig might make it, if it does survive that'll be the only 1 in 3 years!!
                    Last edited by lizzylemon; 07-07-2009, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I'm growing pinto beans for the first time.I have a large container of them in the greenhouse with plenty of pods on. I have two half barrels outdoors which have flowers on so they're looking good.
                      Also trying Kohl Rabi.I have 8 of these but they are in big pots as i don't have the space in the garden for them. 2 of them are beginning to swell so am anxiously watching them.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Potatoes,runner beans,french climbing beans,cabbage,toms outside.Everything is going well except brassicas being munched by caterpillars

Comment

celeriac, parsnips, cabbage, sweetcorn, pumpkins, squash, radish, strawberries, lettuce, saltwort, garlic, tomatillos, french beans, shallots, chillis.
                          And I'm still amazed they're all alive

Comment

pretty much everything on the allotment bar the spuds are new to me....am only just starting my second year of growing.....this yr being the first full calender year!.
                            Finding Home

Comment

Grown Kale for the first time this year, but it's not for want of trying!!! Never had success with Kohl Rabi. Rubbish!

Also grown grapes this year (they're so cute!) and cherries. The carrots have been a success for the first time, too, as have the onions.

Comment

New for me this year are sweetcorn, cabbages - savoy (thanks to sarzwix), red and another I can't remember the name of , strawberries, parsnips, globe artichokes, crimson flowered broad beans (thanks to flummery), pottimarron squash (thanks Scary) - oh, and a few new variaties of potato. Darned if I know which ones though, as there were so many!

I've also grown celeriac (yet another seed swap, but oops sorry can't remember who), but I was late planting it and it probably won't reach maturity, but I haven't given up on it just yet.

The seed swap board is great for encouraging you to try new stuff, without it I wouldn't have tried many of these. Yet more praise for the Vine
                                Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X