No announcement yet.

Would I be mad to buy a 5 acre field?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope everything works out well for you like you said five acres is a fair amount of land and it needs looking after i have five acres here most of which is grazing for my horses and i never stop there is always another job to do

Comment

• Sorry to hear you've missed out.
      Maybe the positive is that most of your thinking has now been done so when the opportunity arises in the future, you'll be better equipped to make a decision.
      Best of luck.

Comment

• Thanks all. Yes, there'll be no messing about next time. I've already done all the soul searching.

In reality, I don't think making an offer last week would have made much difference, but I still think "If only.."

C'est la vie!
        Last edited by BFG; 23-06-2009, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Keep an eye out on the auction websites or find out who the farmer is and make them a direct offer (they'll not have to pay the middleman fees so might be happy about that). The farmer round here often sells the odd acre (when she had her son's wedding to pay for etc).
          Sorry you missed out this time

Comment

• There's an old Irish saying "What's for you won't go by you" Something better will come along I know.

Comment

• Hi there,
              I know this chat thread is a few years old. Just wondering if you had ever moved forward & found another pice of land? I'm looking at an 8acre spot. Good access from a quiet road. But i have no farming experience & work full time. Would probably just be a hobby plot & future investment. but the thought of having my own pice of land does appeal more than a few quid in the bank.

Comment

• Hello King-Alba and welcome to the forum. BFG, who started this thread, has not visited the forum since 2010 so I doubt that they will reply to you.
                There may be others here who have bought land though!

Comment

• Hi and welcome to the vine.

If you do some research there may be a need for allotment land or equestrian use. The rent isn't likely to be great but if it is instead of money in the bank then you are after an increase in value over time. If you are feeling adventurous you could always go down the glamping route. I should imagine there has got to be something really odd not to be viable to buy land as an investment (oh and obviously there is a price limit) I would think 8 acres would put a lot of people off. For years anything 0.5 - 5acres when I have looked has made good money

Comment

• Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes i find it hard when i see empty fields around & they are Never touched. Somebody could do some good with that land. With a good imagination i cant see how you can lose with a good plot in a good area. Only issue is planning. If its listed as agriculture, how difficult / legal is it to change the usage of the field?

Comment

• Change of use would probably depend on the proposed use and where it is. Land close to existing residential areas would sell at a premium - land in the sticks may be different.
                      I don't know where you live, but you should check with your local planning agency what "agricultural use" includes. Maybe do a bit of thinking about what you would do with the land. Only you can decide that!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X