No announcement yet.

A Huge Swarm

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're looking at housing them yourself (and taking up beekeeping) then I'd suggest having a look at Thornes website, probably the best value for a hive and basic set up atm, tho we have found a few places that do one or two bits a lot cheaper we havent yet found anywhere doing the complete hive including frames and foundation cheaper than this one on the link below!

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/cgi-bin/...ER_ID=!ORDERID!

Hope it helps!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

This link will take you to their home page...

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/

(I tried Mrs Dobby's link and got an error message)
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Thanks Shirl, it worked for me!!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Oooh, lucky and scarey too! I've always wanted to keep Bees, but I blow up like a (even bigger) balloon if stung, so have never taken the plunge. Hope it gets sorted ok
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Apparently bees and horses do not live happily together.

His Lordship spoke to our friend Jen - her husband Lou wrote articles on beekeeping for the Association he died in 2007. Jen has decided to continue his business of selling bee equipment but we do have a problem of how to get the bees out. His lordship may try encouraging with a hive on the roof and a lure, we own half a concrete bridge over the stream half way down the paddocks and think that may be a good place.
            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Well that's done it His Lordships best mate makes scented candles and sells online and at fairs and boot sales. I put 2 and 2 together His Lordship went Ping (lightbulb) and his mate is now researching the possibility of going into a joint venture - beeswax and honey.....
              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

Comment

Everything happens for a reason huh!

Honey = yummy!
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I was in Chichester yesterday, and there was a group of PCSO's standing around a cordoned off specsavers with a huge group of people surrounding them. I walked past and read a sign that said 'bees - avoid entrance to this store' - I genuinley believe that that people of Chichester have never seen bees before... they were amazed !

Comment

Update, we've popped around to Jens - Lou was an agent for Thornes so the link was useful and we can get everything from Jen. We need someone to come look whether a lure is viable and so Jen has lent us her yearbook and also a huge mound of wax as she has 400lb of the stuff to sell from keepers (ya know I've known them for donkeys and never knew they did this) to show our mate with the candles. Now we just need someone who knows their bees
                    Hayley B

Comment

Cool, thats great news Hayley, really pleased for you, hope they respond to the lure and get rehomed safely!

We checked the 2 colonies we've got in our hives this afternoon, they are building comb rapidly, managed to see one of the queens too, so just need to wait until she started laying and we've capped brood, then we can think about moving them the 5 miles to the apiary we've built on our plot!

I managed to get a few piccies, so will be posting them to our blog later on, I hope!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X