No announcement yet.

I want!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to say I was really lucky with HB, she never really had an I want stage have always been open about how much money i have or not as the case maybe, she doesn't get set pocket money as at times I don't have it to give and she's fine with it as she knows that when there is spare its spent on her.
    When I worked in childcare we had one little girl who wanted all the toys to herself, to take home, it was a creche for parenting classes, and this parent didn't have no in her vocabulary over the 8 week course the child learnt that no meant no with us and that there was rules in the creche, mum couldn't get why she behaved with us and not outside!!

Comment

NO, simple it works if you are persistant and the child soon learns. You have to stick with it and keep repeating it, if they keep asking and you get fed up with it and end up saying yes just for some peace then they have won and know how to push your buttons.
      You might just as well have said yes in the first place. I had four boys and ended up being a lone parent they soon learnt that I didnt have the money cos if I bought something for one of them I had to buy them something each. Dont even start giving a present for the other ones on each others birthday as some parents do. Its their special day not any one else's unless of course they are twins or share a birthday.
      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
      and ends with backache

Comment

With my little 'darling', the 'I want' went away to be replaced by teenage 'I don't want to'; tidy my room/do my homework/do the dishes/talk to my parents etc etc followed by robust shutting of doors.

Hopefully this too will pass

Comment

I've got to teenage boys, and as i said to them when they were at the stage of 'i want' my reply was 'i want don't get', but now as they are 15 and almost 17, my reply is either save ur money up or get a job, they know we don't have alot of money anyway, so they're not too bad, alot better then most of the teenagers, they are respectful and got manners, and can be very helpful aswell, don't get me wrong they do have their moments where they try and push us to the limit, but overall they're really good
          Blessed Be

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
            I believe my Mum's standard retort was 'I want, doesn't get'!
            Lol, I use that with mine today! It does work

Comment

The answer to "I want" would have been "Tough doodah, we can't afford it", but when mine reached that stage, we were living on a small island where EVERYONE 'couldn't afford it'.
              They got pocket money (not a lot) as soon as we COULD afford it, and anything non-basic they had to save for. We had sheep at the time, and we gave each of them one of their own. They had to help out (school permitting) and the sale price of the lambs from their sheep was their pay, They could exchange that for an extra sheep (to reasonable numbers) and in a few years they had about 6 sheep each out of the flock of 100 (ish).
              Secondary school involved 'weekly boarding' and lunch was not provided, so they got an allowance to buy lunches, and any extra was theirs to spend (they soon learned how to eat cheaply) and within a year they were buying most of their own clothes from the charity shops, or big reduction sales (just as I did).
              It was the only way we COULD operate, and there is nothing like it for teaching that money doesn't grow on trees, and that there is nearly always a cheaper alternative!
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by RowanStar View Post
                I've got to teenage boys, and as i said to them when they were at the stage of 'i want' my reply was 'i want don't get', but now as they are 15 and almost 17, my reply is either save ur money up or get a job, they know we don't have alot of money anyway, so they're not too bad, alot better then most of the teenagers, they are respectful and got manners, and can be very helpful aswell, don't get me wrong they do have their moments where they try and push us to the limit, but overall they're really good
                They're proably really good because you instilled values into them at an early age rather than just bought them everything you could and pandered to every whim.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Lucky with my son and heir he didn't really go through that and later we were on our own together and he knew things were tight so didn't ask.
                  Saving for things is good as it teaches kids that money doesn't grow on trees,also telling kids that toys are for special occassions like birthdays etc and that if you still would like it when it is your birthday then we shall see. We didn't have much as kids because there just wasn't the money we just knew we shouldn't ask because mum and dad didn't have the money to buy it for us,loved birthdays and crimbo though as we really appreciated our pressies as that was the only time we were bought things like toys.
                  Last edited by miffy; 20-05-2009, 07:42 PM.
                  When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

y sister used to be bombarded with "I want" every time she went to the supermarket with her eldest two children. She then hit upon the idea of telling them BEFORE they entred the store that if they said "I want" once while they were in there, they definately WOULDN'T get ANYTHING. If they managed to get round without the "W" word ,they could then choose a small toy or packet of sweets. Funnily enough, she never had to say anything to her third and forth children as they picked up the rules from their brother and sister really naturally!
                    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                      What about seed catalogues?
                      They don't come into this argument/discussion at all!
                      Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

We had a little tantrum this morning, lelli Kelly shoes like to advertise heavily in the morning, perhaps its because the only way they can sell them is to drive the kids nuts with cheesy adverts. We had the mami said I could, I don't have any sandals, I WANT THEM!!, and a little cool off on the step. I think CBBC will be the answer from now on.
                        I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Saving Up...

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                          We had a little tantrum this morning, lelli Kelly shoes like to advertise heavily in the morning, perhaps its because the only way they can sell them is to drive the kids nuts with cheesy adverts. We had the mami said I could, I don't have any sandals, I WANT THEM!!, and a little cool off on the step. I think CBBC will be the answer from now on.
                          Mikey, if your DD really wants LelliKelly shoes, and she saves up, I can get them cheaper in Costco if you like. Can't remember off the top of my head how much they were but I'll look next time I'm there.

Jules
                          Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Lelli Kelly really do me in!!!
                            I've told Daisy she can get some cheapy pumps,glue & beads & make her own & with the money we save buy some little toy animals that she doesn't have to take her shoes off every time she wants to play with them!...Clarks do the same...pray tell...what is the point of shoes with toys in the sole???
                            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

She's not gettting them, she had a pair of doodle sandals less than two weeks ago, Lelli Kellies are not on the agenda, but thanks for the offer Jules.

I'm with you on the free kitten thing Di, if you need to throw in a toy to sell the shoes, clearly there is reason why you are not selling enough of them in the first place.
                              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Just had to google lelli kelly shoes.

Did anyone see the high heel baby shoes on the Apprentice last night? Truly dreadful. What is the world coming to???

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X