No announcement yet.

my washing machine stinks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just done a 90C wash with soda crystals, and the smell was fairly whiffy.

It MUST be coming from inside the gubbings. There's no sign of mould anywhere ????
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Is there a dead animal inside the machine..??
      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

When an engineer came out to service my washing machine, he said that using liguid as opposed to soap powder tends to clog the pipes and leave you with that oh so lovely pong.
        I now tend to alternate liquid and powder and so far am odour free, and I haven't needed to do the hot wash or the soda wash to clean the machine.

Comment

My machine broke last week, thankfully it was fixable,repair man was saying how these low temp powders and low temp washes were causing machines to stink, he said he's had some real nasty surprises when he has opened then up,made him retch they were so bad. Mine was fine, i do a a very hot wash once a month he said he recommends doing this to stop bacteria etc. Also said he rarely had any problems years ago but now he sees loads of stinky Machines.

Comment

So what do they do on the continent where washing at low (cold) temperatures is apparently the norm? Do they all have smelly washing machines?

I wash at 40 or 30 C mostly, but use soapnuts rather than powder or liquid and put washing soda and borax in with the white wash you can't do because you don't have any whites... (sheets and kids school shirts mostly). I also do the (v) occasional hot wash with soda bic and vinegar (no laundry). My machine isn't smelly, so not sure which of those is preventing whiffiness?

Comment

Borax is infinitely better that a soda wash...and is the sole reason I still have whites.

I buy it from a place on ebay....it might be coming off the market soon so I stocked up.

It is excellent for removing OH's biro and coffee work related stains without bleach.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                Borax is infinitely better that a soda wash...and is the sole reason I still have whites.

I buy it from a place on ebay....it might be coming off the market soon so I stocked up.
                Borax might be?

*off to stock up pronto...

Comment

Originally posted by hmk View Post
                  Borax might be?

*off to stock up pronto...
                  I believe so.....whether it will or not remains to be seen.

Comment

I found this by Dri-Pak (selling Borax Substitute...)

Borax Substitute

The new Borax Substitute has a number of qualities that make it ideal for a variety of laundry tasks.. It has a mild bleaching effect because it converts small amounts of water into Hydrogen Peroxide. It softens the water to increase the efficiency of your conventional detergent, therefore meaning less detergent is needed. Finally, it has disinfecting and deodorizing properties making them ideal for extremely dirty garments such as cloth nappies, tea towels and pet blankets

Goodbye Borax, Hello Borax Substitute

Just as anyone who is looking closely at the cleaning products they use around the home is getting used to the name ‘Borax’, the EU makes some law that means it will no longer be available on the high street from June. Cleaning gurus often tell us to add borax to our arsenal of natural and traditional cleaning products, along with bicarbonate of soda, white vinegar, lemon juice and soda crystals. A reclassification of the ‘Borates’ group of minerals means that they are no longer available as a general cleaner. Borax is principally used for cleaning and laundry purposes, but many have also used them to kill ants and weeds for example. Yet all is not lost as Dri-Pak, one of the few suppliers of domestic borax is already supplying a Borax substitute that has all the same cleaning and laundry properties without the potentially hazardous applications .

Any other info I found seemed to quote Dri-Pak.

I get mine through a chemist- I wonder if they will be affected?

Comment

Hi there.

I too had the same smelly problem,its horrible. We bout a new washing machine when we moved into a brand newcentrally heated house 2 years ago, so no damp problem. I think its really a matter of taking out the laundry right after its done. Thoroughly drying the inside of the washing machine and all the little nook and crannies, and leave it open just a little bit all the time. I just slip a T towel onto the door seal and ths stops it from closing (always check for small animals and chilren getting in though!!) I also bought a large packet of washing soda NOT CAUSTIC SODA as put it into the dispenser, then did a 80 deg cycle, that took away the musty smell and I always wash the detergent dispenser every few days in a basin with washing soda. The enzymes in fabric conditioner encourage an black algeal growth which also smells unpleasant. Good luck.
                      Attia of the julii

Comment

Originally posted by hmk View Post
                        I found this by Dri-Pak (selling Borax Substitute...)

Borax Substitute

The new Borax Substitute has a number of qualities that make it ideal for a variety of laundry tasks.. It has a mild bleaching effect because it converts small amounts of water into Hydrogen Peroxide. It softens the water to increase the efficiency of your conventional detergent, therefore meaning less detergent is needed. Finally, it has disinfecting and deodorizing properties making them ideal for extremely dirty garments such as cloth nappies, tea towels and pet blankets

Goodbye Borax, Hello Borax Substitute

Just as anyone who is looking closely at the cleaning products they use around the home is getting used to the name ‘Borax’, the EU makes some law that means it will no longer be available on the high street from June. Cleaning gurus often tell us to add borax to our arsenal of natural and traditional cleaning products, along with bicarbonate of soda, white vinegar, lemon juice and soda crystals. A reclassification of the ‘Borates’ group of minerals means that they are no longer available as a general cleaner. Borax is principally used for cleaning and laundry purposes, but many have also used them to kill ants and weeds for example. Yet all is not lost as Dri-Pak, one of the few suppliers of domestic borax is already supplying a Borax substitute that has all the same cleaning and laundry properties without the potentially hazardous applications .

Any other info I found seemed to quote Dri-Pak.

I get mine through a chemist- I wonder if they will be affected?
                        I didn't know it was as soon as June. EEEK

Must get another batch in whilst I can.

Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Sherriffs View Post
                          The enzymes in fabric conditioner
                          never use the stuff, waste of money.
                          Fabric conditioner was intended for use with polyester and nylon fabrics, to discourage static cling.
                          Now, the marketing men have convinced us it makes everything soft and fluffy and fragrant.
                          It's completely unnecessary.

Comment

But smells lovely
                            Bob Leponge
                            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

but fresh laundry smells lovely anyway?

Comment

So does it still smell Two Sheds ?
                                Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                                and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X