No announcement yet.

Support the gurkas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live just yards from a Gurkha military camp. We live among these young men, the older men and all of the extended families that they have here. They are pleasant and hardworking. We see their training and the determination on their faces to serve our country to do something very worthwhile and to improve their family life.

How we understand things locally is that some Gurkhas return to Nepal on retirement and some wish to remain in the UK. I feel they should have this choice.
    BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
    Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Apparently there are some decent MPs?

BBC NEWS | Politics | Brown defeated over Gurkha rules

Gordon Brown's government has suffered a surprise defeat in the Commons on its policy of restricting the right of former Gurkhas to settle in the UK.
      MPs voted by 267 to 246 in favour of a Lib Dem motion that all Gurkhas be offered an equal right of residence.
      Tory leader David Cameron backed the Lib Dem motion to scrap rules which leader Nick Clegg called "shameful".
      Mr Brown's first significant defeat as PM came despite last minute concessions being offered to rebel Labour MPs.
      Home Secretary Jacqui Smith had promised to start a review of the new criteria - which was only announced last week - by the summer and gave an assurance veterans would not be deported.

'Immense victory'
      The vote is not binding, but it represents an embarrassing Commons defeat for Gordon Brown at a time when he has faced criticism over a number of other issues.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I've lived in a couple of barracks towns and by chance there were Ghurkhas (at times) posted in both towns. When British squaddies hit the nightclubs it was invariably loud, violent and destructive (and sometimes quite good fun to be fair). In contrast, when the Ghurkhas were there, everything was nice and peaceful.

Maybe we can keep the Ghurkhas and deport the rest?
        Resistance is fertile

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
          Or France?

They've made a sacrifice I wouldn't make, yet I expect others to make for me. I'm appalled that they don't have the right to live here. I can't understand why they might want to, but that's their choice!
          I don't always agree with you SBP but I couldn't put it better myself so I'll quote you.
          If someone is prepared to go to a warzone where there is a fairly high chance of death as an infantry soldier then they deserve the right to live in the country that they are fighting for. No if's, but's or excuses . These men have defended this country they deserve the choice and we should be proud to have them wanting to live here.

The actions of the Government in putting obstacles in their way is sickening.
          There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

One one of the French forums a couple of the people posting said that as the Ghurkas are mercinaries, they're no different from the guys who go off to fight in a private capacity in the wars in Africa and the like.

Yeah, British infantry regiments are the same as undisciplined groups of private citizens armed to the teeth and fighting for blood diamonds and the like.

They're British soldiers, fighting in British wars (agree with the war or not) and as other Commonwealth soldiers get a right of settlement as did many of the Poles and other eastern Europeans, French, Indians etc etc after WW2, why shouldn't the Ghurkas?

Another resounding piece of out of touch government by the people's party but at least they lost in Parliament today.
            TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X