No announcement yet.

Mud, Sweat and Tractors

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it was a great programme. I can't belive they can get 40lb of tomatoes from a single pant though thats ridiculous! Its sad that the industry has squashed the small producer but its ultimately the consumer thats led it there by demanding the cheap produce.

But then again I'm guilty as charged. Even with the intensive methods and cheap foreign labour I think strawberries are expensive and rarely buy in the supermarket.
    http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Matt. View Post
      I thought it was a great programme. I can't belive they can get 40lb of tomatoes from a single pant though thats ridiculous! Its sad that the industry has squashed the small producer but its ultimately the consumer thats led it there by demanding the cheap produce.
      I'm always interested to know WHICH consumers wrote or phopned or otherwise contacted any of the supermarkets demanding cheaper prices regardless of what the consequences for the environment etc were.

Market research and focus groups are the way this is usually done.
      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
        I'm always interested to know WHICH consumers wrote or phopned or otherwise contacted any of the supermarkets demanding cheaper prices regardless of what the consequences for the environment etc were.
        Maybe I don't quite understand if you're being sarcastic?

The "demand" from consumers is driven purely by their purchasing habits. The shops try new lines/different suppliers and see what the customers buy. If the customer makes them money on the cheaper mass produced goods thats what they'll restock. Over time the big producers edge out the little guys but only because the majority of the customers want the cheaper goods. Its basic retail economics.
        http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X