Fuel Price's The Big Con

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
    Is that as opposed to all the governments we've had since the introduction of the internal combustion engine ?
    Could bring back the window tax!
    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
    Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
      lol..... BW

Comment

Thought I was joking.

Longparish History - Window Tax
        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
        Brian Clough

Comment

Thought I was joking.

Longparish History - Window Tax
          didn't think you were joking bw, know about the window tax

laughed at it in the light of todays current climate, what they going to tax next?
          Last edited by MrsC; 24-04-2009, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post

It would be a lot cheaper if this robbing government didn't take 75p in every pound in fuel duty
            Would you prefer the government to take the £23.7 billion from income tax?
            I think that they should get rid of the 40% income tax rate, and not tax anyone who earns less than £10,000.
            And raise VAT to make up the short fall, but the essentials would still be zero rated for VAT.

FG

Comment

Window Tax.............................would that include the greenhouse?

Comment

Originally posted by Fluorescent green View Post

Tax anything and it will be used less, should people that rarely fly subsidise business people and frequent flyers?

FG
                Should people who travel by train or bus subsidise those who fly???

Taxing car fuel doesn't seem to reduce usage much!
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
                  What is going on with petrol price's apart from going up they are getting closer to diesel price's .
                  Diesel is now only 6p dearer than petrol i paid 93.9p for petrol today and diesel was 99.9 at the same place in Bedworth .
                  Not long ago Diesel was 10p or 11p dearer than petrol now they are getting closer together .
                  I bet Jennie is still paying through the nose up there in Shetland .
                  What is going on....jacob
                  Before the big price hike last year, the difference was about what it is now, and across the channel (where diesel is taxed rather less) diesel was a LOT cheaper than petrol (about 3 quarters, or even 2 thirds). Then came the rocket-price, and in Spain diesel was THE SAME PRICE as petrol (just when we were over there in our diesel car). I asked about then why diesel had gone up so much more, and no-one seemed to know, but the differential has now returned to 'normal'.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post

Taxing car fuel doesn't seem to reduce usage much!
                    Families now have two and three cars, soley because people have more money and cars are no-longer a luxury item.
                    The RAC did a survey to find that in real terms motoring is cheaper than 20 years ago.
                    I wonder how many smokers would say price does not affect thier habbit, or drinkers, or anyone that sees a BOGOF offer.

FG

Comment

Tax anything and it will be used less, should people that rarely fly subsidise business people and frequent flyers?

FG
                      Incidentally, I think it's the business and frequent flyers that subsidise the ones that fly less frequently. First and Business class allow the airline to get the plane of the ground. Economy seats are often quite cheap as the cost of the flight has then been covered.

But back to the original topic - car use is such because public transport is not convenient or cost effective for a significant amount of the population. For me to get to work without using a car would involve a 10 minute walk to the bus stop, a 20 minute bus ride to the train station, a 30 minute train journey to Paddington, then a 10 minute tube ride to Waterloo, another 10 minute train ride to Clapham, finally another 10 minute bus ride to the office. Plus all the time in between segments. And the priviledge will cost me over £25.

If I take the car, it's about 1 hours drive, uses about £15 fuel and saves about 1 hour in time. So for me, it's a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by esrikandan View Post
                        Incidentally, I think it's the business and frequent flyers that subsidise the ones that fly less frequently. First and Business class allow the airline to get the plane of the ground. Economy seats are often quite cheap as the cost of the flight has then been covered.

But back to the original topic - car use is such because public transport is not convenient or cost effective for a significant amount of the population. For me to get to work without using a car would involve a 10 minute walk to the bus stop, a 20 minute bus ride to the train station, a 30 minute train journey to Paddington, then a 10 minute tube ride to Waterloo, another 10 minute train ride to Clapham, finally another 10 minute bus ride to the office. Plus all the time in between segments. And the priviledge will cost me over £25.

If I take the car, it's about 1 hours drive, uses about £15 fuel and saves about 1 hour in time. So for me, it's a no brainer.
                        It's a viscious circle. Because most people use their cars for preference (even those for whom public transport would be a little cheaper, but never as convenient) it is unfeasible to improve public transport sufficiently to entice more people out of their cars. Regardless of price, having your own vehicle at your command will ALWAYS have convenience advantages over the need to fit in with public transport, so those who can afford to do so will use the car.
                        Last edited by Hilary B; 25-04-2009, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Beeching Axe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The public transport network was slashed in the 60s due to the [planned and hoped for] increase in cars, and now that fuel is an issue, 'they' want 'us' to reduce usage without improving public transport to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                            Beeching Axe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The public transport network was slashed in the 60s due to the [planned and hoped for] increase in cars, and now that fuel is an issue, 'they' want 'us' to reduce usage without improving public transport to replace it.
                            Yep, but however good public transport gets, there will still be too many people who WILL NOT use it! The car is so much more handy!

Comment

Originally posted by esrikandan View Post

After saving all that time and money, do you go to the gym for a few hours every week?

In this lifestyle that we have, it is possible to work a long distance away. Also to go to amenities and supermarkets a long distance away. And then we see Government adverts about leading an active life, and how exercise is good for us.
                              I think that efforts should be made to stop us getting lazy and unhealthy, and using the car way too much.

FG

Comment

After saving all that time and money, do you go to the gym for a few hours every week?

In this lifestyle that we have, it is possible to work a long distance away. Also to go to amenities and supermarkets a long distance away. And then we see Government adverts about leading an active life, and how exercise is good for us.
                                I think that efforts should be made to stop us getting lazy and unhealthy, and using the car way too much.

FG
                                what's that got to do

a - with you?

and

b - the fuel duty discussion?

The moment you start getting personal with people you lose the argument, no matter what the argument is.

And when you say the problem with the lifestyle 'we' have - you mean the lifestyle that you have? As you don't know enough about the person that you are quoting to know anything about their lifestyle. So why bring it up?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X