I hate sewing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate sewing

and yes I do mean the needle and thread kind in case anyone thinks my spelling is dodgy.

If my spelling is dodgy then it's because my eyes have gone all funny from spending 6 1/4 hours over the past 2 nights sewing a cover for my brassica bed. By Hand! Am using net curtains (cost so far £11) from the charity shops and some my mum gave me from the era that taste forgot (ie her lounge 20 years ago).
    I am RUBBISH at sewing!

I am only doing it cos I LOVE the other sowing

If the darn thing doesn't work I am going to scream big style.

And the bad news is I haven't finished yet! It has to be 5.6 metres long and 2.90 wide.

The really annoying thing is that my nan used to be a seamstress but can't do it anymore cos her hand shakes, and my m-in-law makes curtains as a little p-t job but is too ill at the mo to do any, and couldn't lend me her sewing machine as a) I'd end up in casualty as I'd have stitched my arm to the material, and b) it's industrial and HUGE and I can't use a machine!

Feeling v pleased with myself though as OH said I would only do 10 mins on it before getting fed up and giving up, so proved him wrong quite nicely. And I managed to only get in 3 major tangles, and sew my trousers to the fabric once and only sewed one line with one bit of netting and not the other joined to it...... I am getting better! High Five!

my wife uses wonderweb for everything. just iron and go.
    above the clouds the sun is shining and the sky is blue. if you look hard enough you can just about see it!

Comment

sweetie I have loads of brassica mesh - you want some just pm me your addy and i'll post some out - no sewing required...

Failing that my wee mammy was a taylor/ cutter/ seamstress and has taught me all she knows so I would have run them up in my industrial sewing machine in 2 minutes!!
      Serene she stand amid the flowers,
      And only count lifes sunny hours,
      For her dull days do not exist,
      Evermore the optimist

Comment

I did think about it but wasn't sure how it wold stand up in the garden - don't want to be sewing them every year! Plus I don't actually know where the iron is.......
        Last edited by janeyo; 14-04-2009, 09:53 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Bring them over here, I'll do them on my sewing machine if you like!

But then again, it would be mean to spoil your fun and sense of pride in the finished article
          Last edited by kirsty b; 14-04-2009, 09:58 PM.
          Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria26 View Post
            sweetie I have loads of brassica mesh - you want some just pm me your addy and i'll post some out - no sewing required...

Failing that my wee mammy was a taylor/ cutter/ seamstress and has taught me all she knows so I would have run them up in my industrial sewing machine in 2 minutes!!
            Now she tells me.........

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
              Bring them over here, I'll do them on my sewing machine if you like!

But then again, it would be mean to spoil your fun and sense of pride in the finished article
              I am just HOPING they don't fall apart at the first gust of wind.......

I will post a pic when they are finished and up, v attractive they are too lol

Comment

Its very likely I'll be making my own soon!! Determined to have some brassicas this year. I need to protect as much from chooks as caterpillars.
                Kirsty b xx

Comment

Janeyo, ...I've just used wonderweb on my trouser hems and my mum's going nuts....you should have sewn them she said ...but I started to do one hem, got 3 inches done and just gave up. Well done you though, an inspiration to us all! )

They won't fall apart in the first gust of wind...but my trousers def will after the first wash I'm sure!

Originally posted by greendean View Post
                  my wife uses wonderweb for everything. just iron and go.
                  "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

you can't use Wonderweb on nylon curtains ... they curtains would just melt under the iron (it needs to be really hot).

So good for you on your sewing Jane ... I've got a cute cotton frock on the go at the mo, but sowing has taken me over this week.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I too hate sewing but my sister has made bridesmaid dresses for so many over the years I have lost count. I hate sewing hems and my daughter has just bought a dress and its a bit low cut for her and it needs something doing to it to bring it together ( she is nearly 13 ) I am going to take it to my sister as I will just muck it up, She got all the skills lol
                      Good on you for doing your netting by hand.
                      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                      and ends with backache

Comment

I once told my nan when I was a little girl, (she still reminds me of this and she is nearly 90) 'when you're dead Nanna I am going to do all the sewing becasue my mum is rubbish at it'.

Fortunately Nan is still here, and can still manage hems and stuff, and unfortunately mum is still rubbish - and even more unfortunately I inherited her genes!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X