Why go to a garden show?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
    Perhaps you can persuade crossdressing Paul to take you by the hand....jacob
    It's not my hand I'd be worried about!
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
      So, nobody going to offer to hold me hand and show me the way?
      I just did
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

Have I missed something??

Who is cross dressing Paul ?

Is he always cross when getting dressed ?

Comment

Garden show?
          Now there's an idea anyone want to come and see my allotment?
          I'll only charge you £2 or free if you do some weeding.
          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
          Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
            I just did
            I sawed. I replied.

Do I need one of those fold out box/trolley things?
            Last edited by HeyWayne; 14-04-2009, 07:35 PM.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
              Do I need one of those fold out box/trolley things?
              Yes hun you do, but only for the Pimms etc
              aka
              Suzie

Comment

I've been to a small scale garden show at the East of England for the last 3 years, but was disappointed this year. Not as many plants for sale, it was all garden furniture/summerhouses/hot tubs and tools etc. Not bothering next year. The previous 2 years were much better in terms of bagging bargains for the garden etc, although I was very pleased with the plants I did pick up.

Mum and I were chatting about 'doing' Chelsea next year and making a weekend/short break of it, but with her bad leg and getting tired so quick, she may not enjoy it. Was thinking maybe Malvern or Hampton Court instead.
                Kirsty b xx

Comment

Being treated to Kew gardens on saturday,anniversary present,hope its good!

Comment

Go to Tatton most years as it's only just down the road from me and I like the fact it's quite relaxed (although there are some scary people dressed in period costume knocking around usually, very odd!) unlike Chelsea which I found rather up itself. I love looking at the gardens, particularly the back to back small gardens, some of which are fab and on a small enough scale for me to be able to take ideas home. You can often pick up some different and more unusual plants and it's a nice day out. Go to the Gardener's World thing every few years which is far more commercial but very good for shopping and some of the talks can be very good.

Saw something on the TV this weekend about people who open their own gardens up, was worn out watching, could never imagine wanting to put myself through that but then again I do my garden for myself and OH not for peeps I've never met although some of them did raise a lot of money for chariteee.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
                      ... Was thinking maybe Malvern or Hampton Court instead.
                      I think they are two very different beaties Kirsty, although as I haven't been to Malvern I may be wrong. I have been to HC and am going to Malvern in May - so I can report back then.

Gardener's World Live doesn't appeal to me at all, although I haven't been so maybe should reserve judgement
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

The only 'garden show' I've been to was run last year by a secondary school, the students had veg plants for sale, lettuce, cabbage etc., which they'd raised from seed. They also had stalls for shrubs and indoor plants grown from slips or given by parents and local garden centres. There were a number of visiting stalls, small growers selling plants and trees.

Needless to say, there was a spot for tea and biscuits, and also freshly baked goodies to buy.

The big garden shows wouldn't be for me - as others have said, the crowds and the size and scale of these shows - it would probably take all day to look around and still not see everything.

The event at the school was fine for me, a small area, in, around and out all in an hour or less if you want. And home for tea with your fresh scones.

And no admission price - now that's what I call a garden show!
                        Last edited by maytreefrannie; 15-04-2009, 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling
                        My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I've never been to a Garden Show, although I've been wanting to go the Harrogate Autumn one for ages (maybe this year?!).

But, I have visited RHS Harlow Carr, and I was a bit disappointed with it to be honest. It all seemed a bit 'half done', and the kitchen garden was nowt special. The only inspiring part was the wildflower meadows that Dad and I sat in for half an hour, and he's been trying to recreate ever since. The shop was huge, but much more expensive than our ordinary GC, and Betty's Tea Room left Pops missing an arm and a leg in exchange for 2 sandwiches and a pot of tea....

Comment

I like garden shows but there are many different kinds, I've been to chelsea, tatton, hampton court, the one in NEC and lots of smaller venues, I go for a variety of reasons. The main reason for battling the crowds, is the bargains to be had on the last day, most of the exhibitioners are happy to sell off the exhibits during the last day, at a good price rather than take it home. I've bought many a David Austin rose this way.

My favourites are the really small open gardens like NGS (national Garden Scheme), which opens individuals peoples gardens to the general public for one or two days a year, the draw for me is to see other gardens at a similar scale to my own, I find these far more inspiring than any large show, and the cakes are always better.

My other favs are the likes of rosemoor, the veggie patches are always good for a couple of extra days digging a year.

Come on now wayne, you don't need convincing to go and see a garden, and besides you get a much better view of them than most.
                            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X