This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    OK...for my pennies worth.... (and as you all know I tend to keep my mouth shut!!!)

The point of this forum is GYO...that is what attracted us to this place.

I wouldn't want to be a Mod- I've always made that fact clear...BUT I DO respect where they are coming from.
    why on earth do peeps seem to want to argue on here..we're a GARDENING forum for Pete's sake

There are plenty of offensive forums out there if peeps need to argue!

I agree with a person's right to express themselves...BUT we all have different beliefs and views/opinions on here- and we need to respect others peeps views...we are all right in our own way.
    The Mods are carefully chosen-and we only have 3 for 24 hrs...how many of us would commit ourselves for 8hrs a day..regularly?????..for NO pay???

Come on folks..give the mods a break- i actually think they are very tolerant and need our support.
    There may be a few newbies on the Vine who may not be aware of our special relationship between all the members and mods( having seen how others get away with offensive/sensitive discussions on other forums)..it's what 'we' are famous for!!!!!

Bite yr tongues peeps for now...there are a lot of 'oldies' who are not happy with the way the Vine is changing
    PLEASE??????

New here but what can i say this post sums up my reason for joining this community the mods are unpaid workers who do a darn fine job in my opinion so keep it friendly peeps thats why i have joined

Comment

Originally posted by jamesjamie View Post
      New here but what can i say this post sums up my reason for joining this community the mods are unpaid workers who do a darn fine job in my opinion so keep it friendly peeps thats why i have joined
      You know what????...you've just made my day!!..Thanks!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Incidentally, the thread that this one was started about has been open for comment for an hour, and no-one has bothered to post in it, so I can only assume that this one was started to create angst. Thanks for that

Comment

Ah well...maybe we've made peeps think twice..there's no harm in that is there Sarz???
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I've just read the original series of posts which appear to have caused so much trouble and can't see what all the fuss is about.

The OP is obviously making a point and it's been well discussed - tho nobody has actually said what it's like when you're a copper on the receiving end of all that stuff, been there, done that AND I've been a protester so know it from both sides of the barricades.

As many people have said, it's a gardening/GYO forum but this section gives people the opportunity to discuss anything they like. I don't like some of the threads, think they may be infantile or unnecessary, not intertested in people's unborn, recently born, year old children so - I don't read those threads.

I tend to read all the threads in the gardening section and recommendations but only what interests me.

It's easy to do, sort of like using the 'off' button on the tele. If you think somebody is being silly or provocative, why not just ignore the thread, they soon die - as Nicos knows from one of the living in France forums!

The Mods do a job here and they do it well. I Mod another Forum and that runs quite smoothly because although it deals with religion and politics in an historical context, we don't allow modern politics or religion to be discussed.

The Mods have a very light touch and rarely have to do anything too drastic - from what the users see. Whether they get paid, recompensed, get free sticky buns and how much timne they spend in here is irrelevant. And there's no need for Mods to explain themselves to us, like us they are part-time users of the Forum.

Want to discuss politics, capitalism, what capitalism means is fine, I do that regularly but not here because here is for the more important things in life, which, after years of living with violence, I appreciate more and more. And some of us here were actually out demonstrating without the need for blackberries, mobile phones, walkie talkies, when police activity wasn't being filmed and then selectively shown and commentated on and when policemen (not women, they weren't allowed to) could do things to people and get away with it (I've done that also) that would make all the armchair commentators blood run cold today.
            TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
              If you haven't time to moderate..

Why take the job?

Locking a thread, because ..(In your own words)

Geo..
              Posted by Sea horse

How rude and ungrateful.

Perhaps our mods would have an easier job if they didn't have people posting nonsense just to get a 'reaction'?

I am not rude I asked a Question...

Every forum in the land is discussing the G20 incident..

To close the thread because the Mod did not have time..

Is not on...

This forum is getting bigger and is moving at a faster pace..

We need Mods who can keep up...

Geo..

Comment

You're welcome to it Geo...

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                  I am not rude I asked a Question...

Every forum in the land is discussing the G20 incident..

To close the thread because the Mod did not have time..

Is not on...

This forum is getting bigger and is moving at a faster pace..

We need Mods who can keep up...

Geo..
                  And who spend 8 hours a day sitting in front of their computer to monitor what's going on?

Get real Geo, the Mods aren't answerable to you, I think the majority of people like the way this Forum is modded and if you don't like it, the solution seems to be in your own hands.
                  TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
                    And who spend 8 hours a day sitting in front of their computer to monitor what's going on?

Get real Geo, the Mods aren't answerable to you, I think the majority of people like the way this Forum is modded and if you don't like it, the solution seems to be in your own hands.
                    Ditto..........
                    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

just my twopenneth worth, the mods do a fantastic job & without them the vine wouldnt be in existence & i agree enitirely with what TonyF & BW have said above

A great big thank you to all 3 mods
                      The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Could'nt agree more.
                        Love this forum and never had any complaints about how it was run.
                        Long may it continue.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Please can we have thread titles that actively show what the thread is about, especially if it has political connotations?
                          There are subjects I find totally uninteresting. If the title makes that clear, I can avoid them.
                          ANYTHING with a political component is likely to lead to a degree of heatedness (which I would prefer to avoid, I can get that elsewhere).
                          Most of the 'bit silly' threads ARE titled to suit, and those who don't like that sort can avoid them readily enough. Likewise the 'baby' threads.
                          Just occasionally we get one that is unclear, and that is where disputes can get out of hand, because folk who would otherwise avoid them (in order to resist the temptation to get on a soapbox) may get stuck in instead!
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I think it's naive to think gardening isn't political for many people at the moment.

Comment

For what it is worth, my tenpennorth

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                              I'm a little disappointed that the Mods felt the need to close a thread on the basis 'in case you lot fall out' - I felt it was a bit overkill, but I shouldn't comment really because I could never, nor would ever wish to Moderate a forum.
                              It may have been a touch early to close it, but caution is not a hanging offence, yet. I agree Piskie it looks like a thankless task

Originally posted by jamesjamie View Post
                              A forum I was on before used to ban people for having an opinion, I do hope it is not like that here ?.
                              Course it isnt as long as you agree with me!

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                              I could never be a mod I am politically biased, opinionated & would offend too many members.
                              Being a mod must not be the easiest task to do & I sympathise with any decision they take.
                              Yeah you would BW! Bubblewrap for president I say!

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                              I would also like to point out that if any body else has any objections to posts there is the red triangle in the top right hand corner of the post to report this fact to the mods.
                              Attacking the mods openly is not fair or polite.
                              Mods do a difficult job, for no pay and as far as I am aware not even a sniff of a sticky bun. Personal attacks are uncalled for
                              Last edited by FionaH; 08-04-2009, 08:27 PM.
                              WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                                Incidentally, the thread that this one was started about has been open for comment for an hour, and no-one has bothered to post in it, so I can only assume that this one was started to create angst. Thanks for that

That's my view Sarzwix.
                                If people are being deliberately contentious, or just talking drivel and nonsense, the best policy is just to ignore those threads and posters.

This is a family gardening forum. There's nothing wrong with a bit of over the garden fence chit chat and a laugh, but people should exercise a bit of discretion and give consideration to the suitability of their posts.

When we run into people with no sense of the suitability of their posts we should just ignore them. Definitely not let them spoil the Vine by entering into an argument with them.

Long may the Vne be the happy place it is.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X