No announcement yet.

Glass in compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just bought a bag of compost from Netto (With added John Innes......have you ever heard aught so daft)
    Anyway becaiuse it's soil based you can hardly lift the bag and on opening it looks very much like the council soil improver to me. Even down to the bits of shreded plastic and polystyrene that was in it.

Not complaining though, it was only £1.99 for a huge sack and the plants seem to thrive in its open texture.
    I may even go and buy some more....shredded plastic an all!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      I'm glad though, that we are composting home waste. It would explain how I found a whole potato peeler in my garden compost last year
      So that's where my favourite peeler went! I'd had it for over 20 years and then it vanished - I realised it had gone out with the peelings. I wonder how many get lost like that! It's like losing an old friend, I've bought 3 different ones since in an attempt to find a suitable replacements, but no luck yet.
      Last edited by Comfreyfan; 09-04-2009, 09:38 PM.
      Life is too short for drama & petty things!
      So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

I have found lots of strips of white plastic in my B&Q multi compost but its easy to pick out. I have found glass in a bag of compost from Homebase before but they refunded me the money once I took it back.
        Donna

"You need to propagate to accumulate..."

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          I suspect that a prime source of "peat replacement" will be municipal composting schemes.

So all those idiots who shove their normal waste in the composting / recycling bin will be the source of this.
          fairy snuff, and i am not surprised, but then i have to ask myself............why arent the people selling me this 'compost' admitting where they are getting it from?

me ? i am all for recycling, municiple compost, i buy it, but i know when i do, what it might contain, after all i use the council tip.
          but dont be bagging it up, and selling it at a premium and pretending it comes form a 'better' source.

over the last 3 years my same supplier has been producing worse and worse compost, and thinks i am thick enough not to work out why, whilst having the cheek to charge me more and more.............what partnership?
          Last edited by BrideXIII; 09-04-2009, 10:33 PM.
          Vive Le Revolution!!!
          'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
          Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

I have also found bits of white plastic in compost from B&Q
            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
            and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
              I have also found bits of white plastic in compost from B&Q
              when you start finding bits of dead seal and sheepdog......stop buying it from tescos
              Vive Le Revolution!!!
              'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
              Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Originally posted by mrshopeful View Post
                I bought a cheap bag of multi purpose compost from B & Q and ended up finding quite a few bits of broken glass in it (found at least 20 bits so far) so decided to never buy the cheap compost again but last night found a large chunk of glass in some westland mutipurpose compost!
                This is totally unacceptable. Take it back to B&Q and make sure that the store manager sees the problem. Complain at the highest level - this product should be withdrawn from sale.
                Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

The 'green waste' from council composters is not necesarily inferior, it depends on the system used, and how willing the council is to get tough with people who put the wrong things in the bin. Round here it would be pretty unlikely, because the 'garden waste' collection is an 'optional extra' (ie, you have to pay for it) and those who use it are keep gardeners themselves (on a small scale in one case) so less likely to misuse it.
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X