No announcement yet.

Washing machine...HELP!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have had a Hotpoint Aquarius 1200 Washer/Dryer for about 10/12 years (which is self condencing) with no problems at all (think it cost about £550 then) - although I'm not sure whether they still make this model. Its top spin is extremely efficient and lightweight clothes (e.g. partner's shirts) come out almost dry - just hang them up damp then steam iron. Its dryer is also very good and as I live in a flat and unable to put things outside its a god send. Best of luck with your choice.

Comment

Thanks everyone...but please don't think me rude when I say My head hurts!!!
      My neighbour did an emergency load for me today,on wet return let me know that when hers bust a couple of years ago,one of our other neighbours not only washed 4 loads for her,but dried AND ironed also...me thinks I asked the wrong neighbour!(sadly I don't know them quite so well!)Problem is,she's got her own mammoth pile of never ending laundry,so don't like to put on her too much,so it's going to have to be a snappy decision.
      I've been studying all the different makes/models/prices/shops all night...The Coop have got some pretty good deals...I'll probably still be here in the early hours!
      Thanks again...although many differing opinions,all are being considered!Cheers!x
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

This is the site I studied before buying ours, written by washer repair-men, so I trusted it more than the seller reviews
        Washing Machine Help and Advice - Washer Help UK

And this makes interesting reading; http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/buying-advice-9.html
        Last edited by SarzWix; 31-03-2009, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Cheers!
          I wonder,if I take into account how many neighbours we have...add friends & family...how many years could I get away with not getting one at all?...to think my mum managed with a twintub...& she never lets me forget...& before her there was my gran who did everything by hand...

Comment

We did without one for nearly a month, except for the spin cycle which still worked but we had to do it in the garden because it leaked... I did a heck of a lot of washing in the bath, and it was no fun at all!
            In our grandparents day they probably only had 3 sets of clothes, so washing wouldn't have taken as long

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
              Thanks everyone...but please don't think me rude when I say My head hurts!!!
              'Tis why I recommended the Which? site - takes the heady hurty bit away!
              Originally posted by andi&di View Post
              to think my mum managed with a twintub...& she never lets me forget...& before her there was my gran who did everything by hand...
              The spin thing in the twin tub is massively more efficient than the spin in the automatic, says my mum.

I was brought up with the washing has to have 'a blow' no matter if it's for just half an hour in the squall - still counts. And the washing doesn't smell fresh without, in my view.

Comment

I've just returned from the Which? site...I didn't sign up tonight,but I may well do in the morning...there were little snippets they tell without signing in,so has already been a bit of help...cheers!

I totally agree with popping them outside...even on a damp day I'm known to have a load on the line...even if it doesn't dry,you can't beat the smell when you bring it in to dry on the rads!Just those odd occasions when I need something dry quick...usually on a Monday morning!

Comment

You know, if I had the room, I'd probably get myself a twin tub! Not to replace the washing machine, but in addition.

Bought one recently for my mum and it really is fab - great for quickly and easily washing items which should really only be handwashed or only need a light wash. The spin is gentle and really effective. Certainly wouldn't want to do all my washing on it, but great for those odd coloured items/fragile items which you really don't want to put in with the general wash. But in Australia we actually had laundries, a lovely separate room with two big laundry tubs, room for washing machine/dryer and everything else. Sigh.... I miss that!!!!!

Comment

fp, if you know where I can BUY a twin-tub, I'll be delighted! For Spain water and electricity are both 'rationed', so I wash in a 'hand powered' washer and use a spin dryer. A twin-tub (especially Hoover) would solve so many problems! (would still need our rather tedious rinsing technique to get maximum soap out with minimum water, but still a lot better than the present version). I like twin-tubs anyway. Better spin speed (most twins have used a 2,300 spin speed since the early days of automatics), and you can economise on water by washing 2 or 3 loads in the same water (start with the least dirty).
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X