Do you think this is cheeky?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    Just think, if they come back of holiday with a splendiferous present for you!..................... how embarassed you will be if you give them two tomato plants!
    There - see, I was thinking the worst, and good ole Snadger comes in and restores my faith in human nature

Cheers mate! Wish I was a better person ...
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Just a thought - Is there any variety you have too much of and dont particularly like?? I have loads of moneymaker and gardeners delight that I'm panning off on my friends and family...I prefer bush varieties to indeterminate ones.
      Serene she stand amid the flowers,
      And only count lifes sunny hours,
      For her dull days do not exist,
      Evermore the optimist

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria26 View Post
        Just a thought - Is there any variety you have too much of and dont particularly like?? I have loads of moneymaker and gardeners delight that I'm panning off on my friends and family...I prefer bush varieties to indeterminate ones.
        Darn!!!Looks like I won't be palming off any of my MM's to you then!!!
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
          Darn!!!Looks like I won't be palming off any of my MM's to you then!!!
          C'mon Di - I was planning to palm them off on you...

Looks like I'll be carting them up to Glasgow next week to punt them off. Sigh!

OOOooo Di - Do you want any butternut plants? I have 2 great seedlings looking for a home.
          Serene she stand amid the flowers,
          And only count lifes sunny hours,
          For her dull days do not exist,
          Evermore the optimist

Comment

Some people have funny friends.

And Victoria, I think you are right, Moneymaker and Gardeners Delight are pretty average tomatoes but there are some very good indeterminate varieties.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I agree with dogsbody - charge them a nominal amount for each plant BUT donate the money to a local charity. My wife has raised a lot of money for our local hospice by growing and selling plants. If people know that the money is going to a good cause they will always be happy to pay. Doing it this way will save your friends a few bob, will make you more enthusiastic about growing the extra plants, and will benefit your chosen charity.
              Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

I've never quite understood why people want to grow Moneymaker for their own use. Surely the whole point to that variety is quantity rather than quality, hence the name? Maybe they taste better than the name suggests, but I tend to assume that with such a name, that is what the commercial growers use for maximum profit, and therefore exactly what I DON'T want!

I would suggest that 10 plants is 'business' territory!
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  Reminds me of a friend of ours who dropped us at the airport in our car - then proceeded to use it all week to drive himself to work (it was the sweetie papers under the seats that gave him away - then we checked the fuel tank: empty).
                  I've loaned my car to a friend without one while I can't drive. She's on the insurance anyway, and better to keep it running than have it seizing up on the drive, I thought..... Til she told me the other day that she's made £25 at the weekend, driving people into town I hope some of this 'taxi money' will makes it's way into the road tax fund when the time comes

As for tomato plants, I always have far too many and gave away at least 20 last year. I've had requests for them this year, which I think is a compliment - apparently mine did loads better than the ones from the garden centre I just asked for 75p per plant towards the compost and 5" pot; I was growing them anyway, so would have been heating the greenhouse etc for my own plants, and I really enjoy the potting up

Comment

Are your friends going away somewhere nice (overseas) or is it on business within the UK?

If they're off to foreign parts why not agree (space allowing) and ask them to bring you back the most exotic packet/s of seeds from wherever they're going - something unique but which would survive outside in the summer or as an indoor/conservatory plant.

If they can't oblige simply say 10's a bit too space-hogging - but I do like the idea of a monster tom being amongst the delicate little group - just for a gag! On the other hand a favour done now could reap untold benefits somewhere down the line when you least expect it and when you most need it.

Comment

They are off to OZ to see their daughter.

I have sown 10 in a tray ( 4 gartenperle, 4 sweet million and 2 moneymaker) and told her she can have as many of them as come up. I am hoping not to pot them on.

I am keeping all my toms, pepers etc on the extra bit of kitchen worktop that we have at the mo, and have started to put mine ouside in the day. OH has been moaning about all the plants everywhere then said when they were outside yesterday ' doesn't it look bare without all your plants everywhere?' I can't win lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X