No announcement yet.

I'm so excited!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New exciting info. Firstly family tree arrived today. No real rogues but no rich either. Father's side of the family traces back to the name McKinnon and Dow. The genealogist has managed to go back as far as 1784 but I'm hoping I might be able to take it back a bit further. Some interesting jobs though i.e. stocking weavers. Secondly have been in touch with my biological sister in Germany. She has done a family tree and is going to send it over, including a photo of my real dad, who sadly died when I was one years old (one of the reasons I was adopted, my mum couldn't cope). So the first time, I will get a look at my biological father and now I'm thinking, 'I wonder if I have any similarities to him'. It's all exciting stuff!!
    AKA Angie

Comment

When I looked into mine a few years ago, on my Dad's side, I found a distant cousin had done most of the work back to 1754, and found out that there may have been a name change due a Jewish connection. Otherwise, everyone seems to have been located in a small area of Kent, and be involved in agriculture. It was a simple matter to trace which branch of the tree we came from. It's the more recent stuff we've had problems with, Dad came from a family of 10, and they were very good at family feuds (still are in this generation), so it's been hard to trace.
      On Mum's side, I know there was a name change when my Grandad moved from Scotland, she says it was a spelling error rather than deliberate, but who knows?
      My sister is carrying on the work at the moment, as Mum has given her all the family records. I hope I get to find out what she discovers when she starts talking to us again.
      I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
      Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BarleySugar View Post
        When I looked into mine a few years ago, on my Dad's side, I found a distant cousin had done most of the work back to 1754, and found out that there may have been a name change due a Jewish connection. Otherwise, everyone seems to have been located in a small area of Kent, and be involved in agriculture. It was a simple matter to trace which branch of the tree we came from. It's the more recent stuff we've had problems with, Dad came from a family of 10, and they were very good at family feuds (still are in this generation), so it's been hard to trace.
        On Mum's side, I know there was a name change when my Grandad moved from Scotland, she says it was a spelling error rather than deliberate, but who knows?
        My sister is carrying on the work at the moment, as Mum has given her all the family records. I hope I get to find out what she discovers when she starts talking to us again.

I hope so for you too. Perhaps you could get some info from your mum and start your own research. You might find things out that your sister hasn't!
        Depending on the ages in your dad's family, you could try the 1911 census
        AKA Angie

Comment

Further developments! I have found an old photo of someone that looks very much like my dad in a scottish pipers costume. The photograph had Gainsboro Studio, Medicine hat (Canada) embossed at the bottom. I emailed a copy of the photo to the Medicine Hat museum and they came back to me today saying they have found an Alexander Hendrie (my father's name was Archiebald Hendry). I am not aware of my father ever being in Canada and he would have been too young for when the photo was taken. Thing is it looks very much like my dad! I'm going to email them back and see if they can verify if Alexander Hendrie is the sitter in the photo
          AKA Angie

Comment

I tried to do mine on my fathers side and I think I found his father, in London but I`m not sure as he doesn`t like to dwell to much on his upbringing.
            My BIL`s mother has traced her tree and they are apparently related to Little John from Robin Hood.
            I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
              New exciting info. Firstly family tree arrived today. So the first time, I will get a look at my biological father and now I'm thinking, 'I wonder if I have any similarities to him'. It's all exciting stuff!!

Wonderful news for you..and just think of all those German relatives you have!!!
              xx
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi Sharon

That's exactly what my dad was like. Never mentioned his father. There were rumours that his father had abandoned the family at some point.

Wow Robin Hood, now that's what I call a find!
                AKA Angie

Comment

Hi Selfraising. I had meet my grandparents they were around until I was about 14. The problem is my dad thinks they lived on a certain road in london but he`s not sure. There was lots of brothers and sisters at the house I found I must show him one day and see if he remembers any names.

Comment

Sharon, that sounds like a good idea, his memory may not be quite so good so he could be mistaken about the road. Unfortunately never met any grandparents and all his siblings have now died
                    AKA Angie

Comment

Selfraising.
                      My dad says that names were allways sort of re-used. My dad, the eldest (sort of) son was named after his granddad. And his uncles were named after their relatives, and the family I found has the same names as his brothers and sisters. I think I will show him what I have found and see if it rings any bells.

Comment

Yes he's right I think. My dad has 3 generations all with the same christian name, gets very confusing!
                        AKA Angie

Comment

Also on my dad`s side, I don`t know if this is normal, my dad`s mother died so her sister married my grandad to help look after the children as they had to go into a children`s home as he was fighting in the war. And that has happen in this family that I found in London to.

Comment

Well my dad's side seems to have a lot of illegitimacy going on. There are strings of half siblings all over the shop. This photo I've found tho, who the hell is it? It can't be my dad's brother, although his name was Alexander, cos he was too young. My grandad had the same christian name as my dad, so it shouldn't be him. However, I am wondering if he abandoned the family, went to Canada and then changed his name slightly, thing is, I don't know how to prove it.
                            AKA Angie

Comment

My dad says the Salvation Army is good for that. An aunt of his went to Canada with them, he had said if I wanted to find out more about her I should contact them.

Comment

What a good idea! Thanks for that.
                                AKA Angie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X