No announcement yet.

Buried Treasure!!??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep coming across 'holes' in my garden. As I am digging, I seem to come across pocket areas that open up to a 'hole' and also some places that look like a thick pipe has been removed ?? not sure what is occuring !
    BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
    Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

Well!!!, I cannot believe that i posted on this thread only yesaterday and today we have had some excitement!!

I was out earlier today and returned to a police car just leaving. OH has been busy putting in some terraces in our very steep garden. Our location is very close to the sea front on a high valley/cliff road and our garden is raised and very steep and overlooks the sea, we can see the coast of France. Behind our garden is the army barracks for the Gurkhas.

OH had unearthed/uncovered a large metal cylindrical object with fin like attachment. Police arrived, took a look, phoned the bomb squad! Officer spoke to engineer officer, further earth removed. discovered metal object was a large (over 6ft) peice corrugated building metal. Item has been declared safe and left in situ !

All ended well
      BumbleB

Comment

Oooh how exciting! I wonder if the building metal might have been from an old Anderson shelter?
        AKA Angie

Comment

Yes, I expect it could have been SR, either that or some sort of construction to hold the steep garden in place. Lol, well the police officer was not taking any chances from what he could see. Gardening here is always a challenge due to the very steep land, its hard to even stand at times let alone get a fork in the ground!

I wonder what else we will un earth as we try to tame the land.
          BumbleB

Comment

I found an old shoe, story of my life...

Comment

Not treasure at all, but many moons ago I moved into a rented house (previous tennants had done a runner) and while digging out a border came across two tile sized brown things wrapped in lots of cling film. One of my house mates id'd it straight away and mr plod didn't do a bad job of finishing off the rest of the garden looking for more 'brown tiles' (cannabis).

Apparently burial was a common means of hiding such stuff - I think I remember a local news article a couple of years ago about Squirrels getting off their nuts in south London after digging up cocaine wraps dropped in haste

Perhaps I should bury some cellephane packets of sugar on the allotment then dial 999.......

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen11ian View Post
                When I was a kid we found a car door buried in our garden (upright!).. dug for an hour but finally gave up when we had dug out the window frame only to find the rest of the door still attached. Re-buried it and put the spuds somewhere else.
                Years and years ago (mid 80's) myself and my younger brother spent the summer digging my parents garden to level it as it used to have very odd/random raised section. This section was about 4 foot high, 8 foot wide and about 15 foot long and walled. We had to dig out all the soil into barrows and dump it in skips out the back of the garden. It was hell made even worse when we were about 2 foot down and discovered something metal, a day spent digging uncovered a huge rusty blue sheet of metal.

it took us a month to dig out a ford anglia!! I am not joking. We had to hire a crane to get it out.

The story is that my grandad (my dad's dad) bought the house and did some work on cars out of the garage in his spare time/weekends. The garage was double wide with pits on both side and the garage used to open front and back (out the back was a big field). When he got too old to work on the cars and his sons were not interested he closed it all up. The pits got filled in with bit of old cars and rubble and there was an old ford anglia in the back garden with no wheels and he could not move it so he walled it in and filled in the rest with soil from the field out the back. It must have taken him months. Amazingly we had 4 apple trees, 2 plum trees and luscious grass growing on that section with no problems.

My dad had forgotten all about this (it was 20 years previous) and was shocked when he realised what was under there.

Apparently it was very common just to bury stuff in Ireland (where I am from). I know and have heard of loads of people finding carts and bits of cars buried in their garden. My uncle bought a farmhouse and some land in Wexford a few years ago and when he was having the garden landscaped they uncovered most of a tractor!!

That summer was hell for me and my brother. My dad had very exacting standards he wanted from his garden so myself and my brother after digging all this out and getting the garden down to ground level (actually about a foot below ground level) we then have to seive all the soil before putting it back in and then level it off (using a spirit level). My dad is mental!!

About 5 years ago my parents got a landscaper in to put in a huge deck and put gravel and patio down (they still live in the same house back in Dublin). I was actually annoyed. I have been dining out on that story for years and now the garden is gone.

Comment

My friends mum moved into a house. In the back garden was an overgrown copse of trees. She employed a man as a gardener and he spent a few weeks cutting into the trees and oneday came to get mum cos he had found something in the trees. It turned out to be a Victoran swimming pool. The trees were the wind break...It was not on the deeds and the previous owner knew nothing about it.

Makes you want to know how big the garden was.
                  My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

I found a really large pair of tongs yesterday, look like the type one would use in a forge
                    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

When Mr Teez was a little boy, he and his mates used to spend a lot of time playing on a dump that had been a barracks during the war.
                      They were digging out a "den" one day when they came across several wooden crates. One was full of tins of black boot polish and the others full of tins of tooth powder!
                      All in perfect condition more that twenty years after being buried.
                      He and his mates took the lot round the neighbourhood selling it door to door! Made a fortune! He reckoned it kept him in crisps and Tizer all summer!
                      When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Reminds me of a story a friend told me. He was on leave and went round the GFs family. When it was time to go Grandad asked if he could do him a favor. He went to the shed and returned with a dusty wooden box. "Can you take these back they never collected them after the war" he opened the box to find 24 rusty primed hand grenades.
                        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
                          My friends mum moved into a house. In the back garden was an overgrown copse of trees. She employed a man as a gardener and he spent a few weeks cutting into the trees and oneday came to get mum cos he had found something in the trees. It turned out to be a Victoran swimming pool. The trees were the wind break...It was not on the deeds and the previous owner knew nothing about it.

Makes you want to know how big the garden was.
                          Wow, were they able to restore it or did they get rid of it?
                          AKA Angie

Comment

No they are in the process of restoring it. I was imprssed by the fact she had a gardener.

Comment

Fantastic! What a great story. As you say, the garden must have been pretty big, especially as she had a gardener.
                              AKA Angie

Comment

I found a very large bone on my plot the other week, it looked remarkabley like a human thigh bone!! So that's what happens on our plot if you don't keep it tidy.
                                When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X