No announcement yet.

Self Service Checkouts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes it is heavier, but the scales don't mind.

Don't put your own bag on the scale until it has the first item in it though.

Scan, bag, then put bag on the scale and continue with shopping.

Try it
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 04-02-2009, 07:42 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

When I am working and someone puts their own bag on the bagging area I usually have to scan my number in to approve it as it comes up with a message.
      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
      and ends with backache

Comment

If I only have a few items, then I'll use self-service tills. I'll always go to whichever till is quickest, human or machine. I like the option to use either, happy to pass the time of day with a human, but it's not an essential part of my shopping experience.

Comment

I am in the grumpy corner - I actually find self-service tills friendlier than most checkout staff. They both dump my change on the counter, and neither says please or thank you, or smiles
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Come to my checkout I always smile and say thank you and would you like any help with packing.
            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
            and ends with backache

Comment

I hate self service checkouts, you cant use your own bags because it seems to bugger the scales up! They tell you to use your own bags but you cant use them! So the person who could be doing a checkout comes over and twists a key and presses a button, for every item!

Comment

I know you CAN use your own bags, but it doesn't seem to like me using them! If I only have a few items (and I'm without OH), I will use the sell service machine. But for anything more than a few items I will simply use the normal checkout.

Steven
                http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

I sometimes use the things, and in all honesty they ARE a help in our ASDA, because one attendant keeps an eye on 4 of these things and queues are often SO long!
                  Unlike a human till operator, it doesn't cost the store so much an hour to have it there in quiet times, just in case things get busy, so it probably helps keep the prices down. I've never had a problem with 'own bag', but my 'own bag' is very light, a foldable thing. The ADSA ones are often temperamental, but still quicker than joining the queues at the 'real' check-outs (and they sometimes have 30 of those open, but still queues).
                  I have encountered them in another shop (I think it was a Co-op, but not sure, one I don't go to very often anyway) and it was much quicker and easier to use than the ASDA one, less fussy. I only use them if paying by card, so I don't have the change problem......
                  We don't often go to ASDA, for a variety of reasons (including distance) but if we ARE nearby, they have the cheapest car-fuel for miles around, and the nicest shop bread......
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by SHAZSULL View Post
                    but i still get in a tizz at those self service checkout"unexpected item in the bagging area!"
                    its always me !
                    Happened to me, too. After the third time, I lost it and said, 'I'm going to smash this bl00dy machine in a minute!!'.

Cue my very own assistant standing next to my check out. Oops!

Comment

Have used them a couple of times and quite frankly they were terrible and needed far more shop assistant attention than if I'd gone through the main ones. As I've said many times before I hate supermarkets and therefore use them as little as possible, some of the assistants are good (smile and chat etc) some are bad (throw delicate items down the conveyor following by a tin) but in all situations the whole place is an impersonal hell.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Our local Tesco is lovely! Without making a sweeping statement about the evils of supermarkets etc., the same staff both young, part-timers, and older staff have been there for years, it's dead friendly, and they really make the store part of the community. They hold book fairs outside, try to help local people as much as possible, and everyone usually smiles and chats and says 'hello.'

I've forgotten my purse a couple of times, and they've trusted me to turn up with the money the next day, and the staff there generally turn the impersonal superstore thing on it's head!

I used to use the self serve thing on the way back from work, and preferred it - quicker and sometimes didn't feel like chatting myself as I was usually late and tired! Don't really mind which I use now - not strong feelings on it...
                        I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I don't use the self service tills, if I wanted to work on a till I'd apply for the job.

The thing I really hate is when they have charity bag packers (not that I hate the charity or the packers) but I always do my own packing ALWAYS

I have a system it's all to do with how I unpack, when I get home from a supermarket run I unpack the essentials frozen and chilled and then sit down and rest before I face the task of unpacking the rest of it. I do one big shop once a month, so there are lots of bags to pack and unpack.

It's the look on their faces when you refuse the help, especially if it's kids, you'd think I'd taken away their sweeties. Even when I put money in the collectin tin (which I always do) they still have the huff

Comment

I also like to pack by 'category', to simplify unpacking. We often go shopping on the way back from walking dogs in the evening, so we pack one bag with 'things the dogs might take interest in' and I keep that one with me. The rest goes in the back.
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X