Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post
    I'd have thought the last thing you need right now is yeast
    well i ain't scraping that off to stick in my bread (wonders if that passes the family forum test )

it's the biggest tube they had, only one more day of pills lol

Comment

Most supermarkets that make their own bread will give you yeast for free if you ask at the bakery department.
      Didnt see the program so cant quote anything.
      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
      and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
        Most supermarkets that make their own bread will give you yeast for free if you ask at the bakery department.
        Didnt see the program so cant quote anything.
        Wow! I didn't know that! Will be trying Asda, Tesco's and Sainsbury's next time I'm in town. Will also ask for more flower buckets while I'm there too
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I found the chicken one more upsetting last year.
          We always source our meat from british places and the burtchers. Although I am now thinking that our butcher doens't display where the meat comes from. I will have to ask next time I am in there and not just 'assume' it's british.

I don't eat meat at all but might have to look into gettting a suckling pig for our own meat now

Comment

At one time (but not recently) all our pork was home reared, and home bred. The boar was a pet, the sows allowed full interaction with their babies, and the weaners (weaned at 6-8 weeks, not 3) reared in the 'family group'. Commercial pork, even free range (which I do buy sometimes) the boar is kept in isolation, never allowed to 'meet' the sows, and the piglets are weaned very early and reared in groups according to size, rather than the litter being kept together until approaching slaughter size. Pigs are too intelligent to be treated as mere meat machines. It is one thing to rear them for meat, quite another to ignore their capacity for 'personality'. At least the free range farms let the sow and pigglets interact, not just keep her in a cage where she hardly knows she's got babies at all!
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

FREE yeast, Off to see if i can get some.........
              Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

I found it upsetting, like the chicken one yet important to know about so that the public can make an informed choice about the meat they buy. I think supermarkets ought to label sources much more clearly. My husband and I discussed having our own meat animals one day so that we can be certain they have had a good life and been treated fairly right up to the end.

Comment

I didn't see it, but I have to admit that it did sound to me a little as if Jamie was jumping on the welfare bandwagon, but then I'm an old cynic. I also criticized his Ministry of Food without seeing it, then watched an episode and was forced to eat my words.
                  Pigs are highly intelligent and back in the day when people used to raise one for their own consumption they would arrange for it to be killed the same day as a neighbour's so they could swap and wouldn't be eating an animal they'd known well - and these are people who could quite happily tuck into their own produced chicken and lamb.
                  I have to admit that I love pork, but for the last 3 years or so we've been buying all our meat from the farmers' market. It's far more expensive, so we've been eating less, but it has been raised more ethically.
                  Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by allotmentlady View Post
                    FREE yeast, Off to see if i can get some.........
                    Sainsburys charge you for it. Something like 8p per 100g. Tescos give it to you free.
                    Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
                      Sainsburys charge you for it. Something like 8p per 100g. Tescos give it to you free.
                      I got 50g free today from Asda

Comment

I think the program is great, who cares if it does jamies rep some good? its eye opening programs like these that help to change things for the better, my only worry is that the only people who will watch it are people who already care.
                        Yo an' Bob
                        Walk lightly on the earth
                        take only what you need
                        give all you can
                        and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Originally posted by yoanbob View Post
                          I think the program is great, who cares if it does jamies rep some good? its eye opening programs like these that help to change things for the better, my only worry is that the only people who will watch it are people who already care.
                          I agree with that. Unfortunately I haven't seen it.

There are a lot of people knock Jamie Oliver and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall because they can't be bothered or are not interested or, dare I say, just do not like the presenter! For a lot of people, price is still the only consideration. I have friends who buy food purely on price. They have large extended families and keep their freezers stocked up to the hilt with frozen food bought on special offer at ridiculously cheap prices.

Not everyone is interested in where or how their meat is raised, or how many additives are in their processed pies and ready meals. Hence why the producers make so much money producing them.

Personally, as soon as I am in a position to take in lambs and/or piglets to rear myself I will jump at the chance. I do believe that happy meat is better.

Sorry, I'm rambling...
                          Last edited by Glutton4...; 30-01-2009, 07:22 PM.
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

i got 100g free yeast from asda, 50g from tesco and 25g from saisnburys lol.

my local butcher has been selling more pork shoulder today cos of last nights programme, all local.......
                            Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Originally posted by yoanbob View Post
                              who cares if it does jamies rep some good? its eye opening programs like these that help to change things for the better, my only worry is that the only people who will watch it are people who already care.
                              I completely agree.
                              Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by allotmentlady View Post
                                i got 100g free yeast from asda, 50g from tesco and 25g from saisnburys lol.
                                That'll save you a few trips It will freeze too (or so I'm told, never tried that)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X