No announcement yet.

No more drinking any more .....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, here we are again. I've spent a whole day dealing with shoppers and have coped, apart from (apparently) getting a bit insane with one visitor I know quite well who I gave a half hour lecture to on chinese food - I could see her starting to glaze over. The funny thing was I knew I was going over the top and on and on but couldn't stop - she was quite OK. Apart from that I'm feeling fine.

There have been some fascinating posts on this thread showing the different attitudes to drink. Some of you have been affected by your own or someone close's drinking, some are happy the way you are, some want chocolate. I just want to get control, get out of the habit drinking (is it 6pm yet??), and get back to where I can go out for a meal and share a bottle with OH, without both of us looking for a second bottle. I appreciate red wine is good for me but not at the levels I was drinking. And the late night snacking it led to - I don't even like chocolate but ate a whole box full of coffee (yes, coffee) chocolates on Sunday because I had been drinking, followed by half a pack of Pringles. No wonder it can lead to young girls getting into trouble (family forum!) - I just said 'yes' to pointless food.
    Nell

Comment

That's exactly where I want to be too.It's so easy for the amounts wine to creep up and become part of the routine.(white wine's my downfall!!!) Hopefully we're all going to have too many things to by for our gardens soon to afford that evening bottle,the days are getting longer and so is the shopping list! (chickens are on mine so I've gotta get saving)
      Good luck all!xx
      Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Oh dear, I have to report I've fallen off the wagon already - day two. I blame Ken Barlow - glugging a fine bottle of red with his new mistress to be (Stephanie Beecham can you believe ???). Then dh came in with a glass for himself which happened to be Wolf Blass Yellow Label (divine, and I couldn't let him have it all to himself - that wouldn't be fair). THEN flippin' Oz and James' big drinking adventure round Britain. I cracked. But I won't have any more than the half bottle. I have decided to change into jeans when I come in from work rather than trackie bottoms because they are tight - and remind me that I need to loose weight.
        Interesting about drink interfering with sleep patterns, I thought it was only me. I have always known that if I want to feel my best tommorrow then I can't drink tonight - even two glasses has an effect. I love it when I abstain on a Thursday or a Friday, go to bed early and wake up with the larks.... it feels FANTASTIC. Those of you who are abstaining, even for a couple of nights a week, you will REALLY feel the difference after you've slept alcohol free for a couple of nights. Honestly, its like being on top of the world compared to waking having had a glass or two. Please let us know how you get on and keep encouraging the rest of us - well me actually, who isn't so strong tonight.

Comment

Now I feel better for lasting eight days lol

I've always slept well, alcohol or not, but in the last year or so I've started waking for the loo in the night. Every night. Drives me mad .

Now I use my G&T glass and drink water when I'm on the poota in the evenings, and I don't miss the booze. But, I have to say, when my OH comes in with a glass of something yummy I cave in too.

You're doing it for you. I'm doing it for me. We're both getting better at it. And, if we're lucky, we can both get to a stage where we can hop on and off the waggon as we like.

The statistics regarding the amount in your system the following morning are alarming, and I intend to keep referring to it for a while, just to kick-start the right way of thinking about it. I need my licence - I'm too unfit to cycle too far !
          Last edited by Glutton4...; 27-01-2009, 09:10 PM.
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

PS... can't remember who said it sorry, but regarding finding other people who are drunk amusing - I just don't, and I don't just 'don't' - I have a BIG problem with it, it TOTALLY stresses me out. I find it very uncomfortable indeed and I don't know why but I think it might be something to do with my mother who used to get a bit nasty after three bottles of Newkie Brown on a Saturday night. I can't handle the change in a person's personality - and its very slight after one glass but I can see it immediately. I would rather not go out to the pub or the party if I can't join in. I don't have any children so I've never had to do the abstinence for nine months thing... I would become a recluse.

Comment

I know what you mean . I can see it in my OH`s eyes, you can tell when he has had too much.
              I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

Originally posted by Marthaclematis View Post
                I have always known that if I want to feel my best tommorrow then I can't drink tonight - even two glasses has an effect. I love it when I abstain on a Thursday or a Friday, go to bed early and wake up with the larks.... it feels FANTASTIC. Those of you who are abstaining, even for a couple of nights a week, you will REALLY feel the difference after you've slept alcohol free for a couple of nights.
                Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                Now I feel better for lasting eight days lol

I've always slept well, alcohol or not, but in the last year or so I've started waking for the loo in the night. Every night. Drives me mad .

Now I use my G&T glass and drink water when I'm on the poota in the evenings, and I don't miss the booze. But, I have to say, when my OH comes in with a glass of something yummy I cave in too.
                Martha - I'm still looking forward to that bright eyed bushy tailed feeling in the morning, still this is only my second night. I've noticed the mornings are getting lighter too which is very cheering (and nothing to do with me)

Glutton4 - 8 days, how'd you do 8 days?!? Yes I go to bed with loads of water, and then get up in the night, then that wakes the cat, who wakes the OH - is it any wonder I can't sleep. Regarding the dreams - I dream between 6 and 7 in the morning - very vivid wierd dreams involving water, the tide coming in and boats sinking (but nobody drowning). Hopefully now I haven't had a drink I will have comfortable George Clooney dreams like normal people.

Still - wide awake at 11.40pm, usually I fall asleep at 9.00, miss all the programmes I want to watch and am in bed by 10.00. Only trouble is, how to go to sleep tonight? I will sign off and go and read my new pasta recipe book ..... 101 things to do with pasta should do it!
                Nell

Comment

Originally posted by Marthaclematis View Post
                  PS... can't remember who said it sorry, but regarding finding other people who are drunk amusing - I just don't, and I don't just 'don't' - I have a BIG problem with it, it TOTALLY stresses me out. I find it very uncomfortable indeed and I don't know why but I think it might be something to do with my mother who used to get a bit nasty after three bottles of Newkie Brown on a Saturday night. I can't handle the change in a person's personality - and its very slight after one glass but I can see it immediately. I would rather not go out to the pub or the party if I can't join in. I don't have any children so I've never had to do the abstinence for nine months thing... I would become a recluse.
                  I can totally understand that! I can cope with people having one or two, but there is an undefinable line which once crossed, thats it, I have to leave! It can make life very awkward at times, because I feel like a party pooper if I go all disapproving, and most of it is my problem not anyone else's. So I just take myself away from it...

Comment

We watched Oz & James last night, and shared a bottle of British beer (doing our bit to save some UK jobs) ... very restrained, only one unit each. I enjoyed the taste, didn't want any more. Slept well. Result!
                    I don't want to abstain, I just want to take control of my drinking, and not feel like I "have" to have a drink after a snitty day.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      We watched Oz & James last night, and shared a bottle of British beer (doing our bit to save some UK jobs) ... very restrained, only one unit each. I enjoyed the taste, didn't want any more. Slept well. Result!
                      I don't want to abstain, I just want to take control of my drinking, and not feel like I "have" to have a drink after a snitty day.
                      That's it - I needed to break the habil. Last night was quite hard just because I kept forgetting I wasn't going to have a glass. Every few secs a voice said in my head:
                      'oh yes, I'll just go and pour that glass', immediately followed by a voice saying -
                      'but you aren't drinking!'

and then it would happen again. A bit like 'are we there yet' over and over.

Nothing to do with wanting a drink at all. And I now go to the loo during the night more than ever - probably because I'm still drinking the pint of water but am not dehydrated. My skin should be perfect.
                      Nell

Comment

I wonder if it's the holding of the glass and slurping ( bit like the holding of the cigarette and drawing on it) which is what the mind is missing out of the 'habit'?

maybe you could buy some fizzy , but a bit exotic, non alcoholic drink like sparking elderflower and drink it from a champagne glass.
                        It'll sort of fulfill the holding and slurping side of the 'habit' whilst the body gets used to the lack of alcohol.
                        Drinks like that are certainly cheaper than a bottle of wine- and there are loads of flavours available- ginger etc.
                        It'll also fulfill the 'treat' aspect too.

I get these drinks in at Xmas for my driving guests - and in the summer for lunch time drinking when I must try and stay awake in the company of guests!!!!

Just a thought!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I've discovered that I drink too much because I am thirsty (I don't feel thirsty or I would have water).
                          If I switch to OJ & tonic instead of having another wine, I down it in one. I hadn't realised I was thirsty ... my brain was telling me I wanted booze, when in fact it meant 'fluid'.
                          Anyone looked at this yet? Down Your Drink - Are you drinking too much?

It's not preachy, it's not like AA.
                          You can log your drinks so you can monitor your unit intake, and it gives daily tips to help you cut down.
                          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 28-01-2009, 11:55 AM.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi guys

Not looked at this thread for a few days as was feeling really bad that I had a small glass of sherry on Sunday. I was fine till I had communian then I just couldnt get the "taste" out of my head. To me its important that I cut down for my health, weight especialy - it must be like drinking glasses of sugar - yuk) but its even more important to me if I want to carry a child to full term and I am craving it again right now, especialy in the evenings.

My sleep patern has been dreadfull since getting on the wagon but I slept like a babe on Sunday and Monday night (now I know why!) - now I have started waking again. Thats when I find I cannot cope with the tirdness and thats when the real trouble starts. I am trying to also de-caffinate myself - starting with coffee. As soon as I am past a certain point of tiredness I find myself craving coffee - I would have 10 cups a day if I could. I am now on the de-caff but finding it hard to stick to even just one of those. I was having one with (or even as....EEK) breakfast then needing one after the knackering school run, then if someone pops in then I dont think I could do them a coffee and then me someit else.

More worryingly I have again started to crave Red Bull. Before I was diagnosed (and hence treated) with my thyroid problem I was drinking 3-4 cans of the stuff a day - it was the only way I could cope. I still find my craving starts as soon as coffee isnt helping the exhaustion.

BUT - as from today I am going to have a cup of tea WITH breakfast. I will then NOT put the kettle on for a coffee as soon as I get in from the school run - I may have to come and chat to you guys to get me through that period. I will only put the kettle on at 11am which is around the latest that anyone would pop in for coffee. THe only day this will prove awkward is on a Wednesday as I dont have the school run at mo (DD is goes to school early for extra PE and I dont have to take her) so waiting till 11am is do-able but difficulty arises when a "friend", who comes each Wed afternoon, only drinks coffee - often 2 as well. As soon as I get a positive pregnancy test I MUST come off the coffee (decaff or not) sooner if I can wean myself off it.

I am going to do this. I am determined. Sorry to have waffled - good luck all.

Tammy
                            Tammy x x x x
                            Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

Gosh Tammy, I'd hate to give up my cups of tea, so well done for taking the decision to drop the coffee! Sounds like it'll take a while for your system to rebalance itself, as it has been being artificially stimulated for a while. Does the decaff have a placebo affect?
                              You're doing the right thing with the walking, that will help to stimulate the right sort of energy/endorphins.
                              If it's ok to take with your other treatment, I'd recommend 'KLB6' from Holland & Barratt, which they sell as a weight loss aid, but, contains kelp (iodine) and B6 vitamins which are also ingredients for rebalancing your body chemistry (including the thyroid). They certainly helped me to regain some 'get-up and go'. In fact, I should probably get some more....
                              Holland and Barrett - Product details for The Original Natural KLB6 Capsules

Comment

Sarah

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Have saved it in my favourites for future help. I assume I cannot take at mo as B6 is on my banned "whilst trying for a baby" list. I cant even take pregnacare anymore as the iron in it affects the absorbtion of the thyroxine! I am waiting for my consultant to talk to my GP so I can be prescribed a higher dose of folic acid (its 10 time the strength of over the counter stuff so may well help).
                                Tammy x x x x
                                Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X