Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heathrow 3rd runway - Who else is outraged?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heathrow 3rd runway - Who else is outraged?

The thought of people losing their homes and livelihoods for the sake of some fat businessmen (and women) and holiday makers, really, really saddened me last night. I am quite inclined to never get on a plane again at Heathrow Airport. Disgusted isn't the word.

Hope no-one on here is affected.

Only consolation is that Brown has almost certainly put the nail in the coffin for his election prospects.

I Know it's totally horrific!
    All those poor people, the impact on the environment, I really can't believe it!
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

It's a really short sighted decision. I think Brown is trying to grab votes by promising job creation at Heathrow.
      However, won't they be East European builders constructing it?
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

It's ludicrous.

The top destination from Heathrow is apparently Paris - and the fourth is Manchester.

If they improved the railways and gave us a decent public transport system, and took the Paris/Manchester flights down a few scales, and got people to take the train - they could easily make way for these other flights that they say are needed.

Currently London already has 5 airports...it's madness to keep expanding at this rate. Have they learnt nothing?

Comment

Its disgusting, I am livid & don't even live there anymore.
          I knew it would go through as soon as the new terminal was built, so whatever the government said it was lies as per usual

The excuse is more jobs, yes for all the illigal immigrants, just what we need too; the country on its knees so lets all go on holiday

And the usual green issue has gone out of the window 'lets fly more planes' when on the other hand they are removing my right to choose the lightbulb I want with some thing which gives off enough UVA to give you sunburn if you sit too close, does not last as long as a trad lightbulb if you keep switching it on and off and which you cannot re-cycle and is a health hazard if you break it because of the mercury. I am quite responsible with lights, I SWITCH THEM OFF when not in use to save the planet & my electric bill - no this did not take a government body for me to realise it will work but a couple of batts around the earhole from Mum more than 40 years ago!

Rant over................. Thank you for listening

Comment

It is totally disgusting...I only caught a snippet of it on the news,so forgive me if I heard wrong...but did they say they're going to need to demolish a cemetry?...but hey...if it gets the fatcats a little fatter who are us mere peasants to complain!!!
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Another disgusted person here - it's totally crazy that they should even be considering it. It's a joke that the Government is trying to persuade people to 'go green' and then gives the okay for another runway at Heathrow. Worlds gone mad. Just goes to show that yet again they don't know what they're doing (and this from a former member of the Labour Party).
              Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

I dont think it should go ahead either. What the goverment wants the goverment gets, doesnt matter what the people who elected them think. Trouble is they are all the same, tell you one thing do another.
                Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
                  It is totally disgusting...I only caught a snippet of it on the news,so forgive me if I heard wrong...but did they say they're going to need to demolish a cemetry?...but hey...if it gets the fatcats a little fatter who are us mere peasants to complain!!!

From what I heard they are going to demolish a whole village!
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
                    One whole village will be demolished and another will be surrounded by the terminal buildings and runway, with parts being knocked down to make way.

It might create jobs, but a) these are on a short-term basis for the most part (construction) and b) no mention has been made of the massive financial loss of the people living in these places. Even local pubs will be affected. Who wants to have a glass of cool white wine and look out on the ar5e end of a plane?

Anyone fighting this will have the support from me, that;s for sure.

Comment

I can't believe it's happening! I've read that the air industry is a net drain on the UK economy, because of all the fuel subsidies. How can they justify this?

The answer, as usual, is that 50% of the World's wealth is controlled by just 200 people.

I'm hoping the inevitable protests will be suitably 'upscale' and delay it until the oil runs out.
                      Resistance is fertile

Comment

Well, so far no one in favour! I suspect this reflects general opinion in the country - I'm certainly outraged. You're quite right - he's trashed what election chances he had with this.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                          - he's trashed what election chances he had with this.
                          Did he have any??!!...the irony of it is I heard some politician on telly yesterday claiming it's a last attemt by the man to win back some votes!...goes to show how really out of touch that man is!
                          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I'm disgusted. When air travel should be seen for what it is; a pointless, polluting, anti-social drain on the world's resources, the current (and every other) government seem hell bent upon its promotion. I'm embarrassed too, I know my descendants will look back upon us with the same sort of bewildered horror that we look back to witch trials and the like. The difference of course is that the witch trials have no direct impact upon us today, but our own insane actions will definitely have a huge, detrimental affect upon the future.
                            Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Paris is the no1 destination from Heathrow because it is a hub airport and destinations that cannot be fitted into Heathrows slots fly from there instead. Likewise, Manchester is the fourth most popular as it is bringing people to Heathrow as that too is a hub.

Because Heathrow is so congested, lots of flights from Britain go to either Paris or Schipol airports and then on to their final destinations rather than direct which would be far more fuel efficient.

A 90% full plane flying over 1500Km emits 110g of carbon per person per Km. This figure would, if it were a car, make it exempt from the congestion charge in London.
                              If the capacity is not built in Britian it will just go to one of the other hubs and as CO2 does not care where it is produced the pollution will still occur.

For the record, I am totally for a three runway airport in London, however it should be in the Thames estuary as Boris suggested, not sat in the middle of suberbia as Heathrow it will be. It cures the noise issue and gives a shed load of land to be used for housing which London desperately needs.

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                              I'm disgusted. When air travel should be seen for what it is; a pointless, polluting, anti-social drain on the world's resources,
                              Oh well, my brother coming over from New Zealand in August to see his family is obviously pointless, polluting and anti social. W e can Skype instead I suppose
                              Last edited by pigletwillie; 16-01-2009, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X