No announcement yet.

Grapes who want to meet at Wisley

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have loved to join you all, but I'm so tied up with the self build at the moment - bear me in mind for the next one won't you?

Comment

Originally posted by BarleySugar View Post
      The date chosen is 7th Feb meeting at (approx)11am outside the shop where the chairs are set up.
      Entry fee £8.50, although this might be discounted by members taking in free guests. We intend to picnic , so bring a packed lunch. PM me with mobile numbers in case of delays etc.
      I have listed names of people who want to go below. If I have missed you off, I'm sorry, and please let me know. It isn't too late to join in, we haven't enough to get a group ticket yet, so it doesn't make a difference.

Definites
      Glutton4
      Redthorn
      Vicky
      Irie Jan
      Woofster
      FionaH
      Sluglobber and OH
      Kentvegplot (member)
      Barleysugar and OH (members)
      Paulottie

Possibles
      Farmer_Gyles
      Kernowyn
      Definites
      Glutton4
      Redthorn
      Vicky
      Irie Jan
      Woofster
      FionaH
      Sluglobber and OH
      Kentvegplot (member)
      Paulottie
      Hashette and OH

Possibles
      Farmer_Gyles
      Kernowyn

Woohoo, persuaded hubby to drive with the promise of carnivorous plants (there is a big CP section, isn't there?). Otherwise I may be unpopular!
      Last edited by Hashette; 28-01-2009, 07:22 AM.
      http://www.justgiving.com/Vicky-Berr...-Marathon-2010

Comment

The last time I was there they had a lot on display, and loads for sale too. I bought a hardy one to eat slugs in the greenhouse Great you can come
        I'll give them a ring later and find out what the arrangements are for a group ticket, if we have to pay in advance it might be a bit difficult to arrange though.
        Last edited by BarleySugar; 28-01-2009, 08:31 AM.
        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

That should please my OH, too. He's fascinated by carniverous plants!

Comment

Thanks Barley Sugar.

Which one eats slugs? Not that plants will get a look in with the chooks about - in fact the biggest problem is likely to be keeping the two apart when we open the greenhouse!

We've got - oh dear, I can't spell any of this - mainly sarracenias, with a few pinguiculas, droseras and odd flytrap, but I can't imagine any of them eating slugs. I suppose Nermal might - he's a big, tropical napenthis that has a character all of his own, and in summer when he gets full of wasps and flies, his character is distinctly whiffy.

I'm so looking forward to meeting everyone

Comment

Sarracenia purpurea, the pitchers are large enpugh for a slug to crawl into. It was marketed as slug eating, and I know I saw at least 6 in the pitchers before the winter. The only thing was, as it likes to sit in water, you have to make sure the slugs can get to it. Not going to be responsible for the complete demise of the slug population, but every little helps . I'm hoping the reports of it being hardy were right, because I didn't think to bring it in, and the water froze in the pitchers. Time will tell I suppose.
              Last edited by BarleySugar; 28-01-2009, 03:48 PM.
              I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!

Comment

I haven't kept up with this thread for various reasons - what is the plan, are you all meeting and chatting and walking and talking and stuff?
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

As far as i see it, yes, thats the plan. If it's fine, we can picnic at the tables, if not we will huddle in cars I suppose. The butterflies and carnivourous plants seem a popular attraction, both in th glasshouse, and for personal reasons the snowdrops are important to me. I think it will depend a lot on the weather. I've concentrated on getting people to the place at the same time, and I'm grateful for any ideas if people want a more formal 'outing' once we get there.

Comment

Thank you Farmer Giles for telling me of this meet.

Please add me to the list, I love it at Wisley.

I'm a member so I can let someone in if Farmer Giles does not take up my offer.

As a local person I've seen the butterflies. They are wonderful - do take your cameras as they pose for you [or on you].

BUT it was busy and beware they have turned the heat right up to keep them alive - it might be worth wearing clothes you can get off easily!

Wisley is close to my work so I go there often to snatch a quick lunch and have picnic'd inside - no-one really seems to care and they have nice benches every where, some by the lake are often use by lunchers. Alternatively if you fancy splashing out the food is very good in the posh cafes. I also know a few good pubs but they are a way off.

If you don't drive Wisley is hard to get to - anyone wants to try public transport and wants advise or a lift from the station please PM me I can advise and may be able to pick one or two up. If you've not parked there recently it has changed a bit and can take a while to get parked. Unless it really quiet [not likely] or you have a blue badge try car park 2 and give car park 1 a miss.

I also know a cheeky way to get in free - but I don't suppose they [or other members] would thank me for broadcasting that!

see you on the 7th.

Ann

Comment

List fairy arrives

Definites
                      Glutton4
                      Redthorn
                      Vicky
                      Irie Jan
                      Woofster
                      FionaH
                      Sluglobber and OH
                      Kentvegplot (member)
                      Paulottie
                      Hashette and OH
                      Piskieinboots
                      Storming Norman

Possibles
                      Farmer_Gyles
                      Kernowyn

Comment

(...hold hand up 'Miss!')

I'm a 'Member' too, so one more can get in for nowt!

Is Vicky coming with Me, RedThorn and Irie Jan? If so, no probs, I've got the room.

Makes mental () note to get flask out and washed, soup out and defrosted, camera battery charged...

Looked at the map, and reckon I don't even need Sat-Nav (feel free to take the ... when I get lost lol!)
                        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thanks for updating the list Hashette, I've only just got on and seen the new posts. We are now bringing the girls, so we can't take in anyone for free I'm afraid.

Good to hear the butterflies are worth seeing Storming Norman, t'will be good to see you.

Glutton, Vicky did say she would like a lift, she was going to PM you to organise, but that was over a week ago, so perhaps it would be a good idea to contact her direct if you haven't heard from her. I'll PM her too.

Comment

looking forward to meeting all the grapes! gonna be fun putting faces to names...
                            Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Still waiting to find out if I can make it (fingers crossed), have pm'ed Glutton.
                              Hope the Siberian weather has gone by next week...

Comment

I was thinking that, today (Sat 31st) has been lovely, typical.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X