No announcement yet.

Throw caution to the wind

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But throw a fag end away in the street...............................
    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
    Brian Clough

Comment

I really feel for you Stacey Steve. That point about the relevance of previous convictions has been kicked back and forth in legal circles for years.

Bluemoon makes an excellent point though. We have the best legal system in the World, in my view. It's always the weird and exceptional cases that hit the papers - not a true reflection.
      Resistance is fertile

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
        But throw a fag end away in the street...............................
        Quite right too! Always amazes me how some smokers don't seem to think that fag-ends are litter!
        I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Wagland View Post
          I really feel for you Stacey Steve. That point about the relevance of previous convictions has been kicked back and forth in legal circles for years.

Bluemoon makes an excellent point though. We have the best legal system in the World, in my view. It's always the weird and exceptional cases that hit the papers - not a true reflection.
          Dead right - these cases are reported because they are NOT the norm. Good and just decisions happen by the dozen every single day. "Judge makes sensible and proportionate judgement" isn't going to sell any papers, is it?!
          I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Wagland View Post

This is worth checking out & further research.
            A. P. Herbert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
            Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by Stacey Steve View Post
              I have respect for the law but find the vagaries of it so frustrating.

The CPS decided not to prosecute a case because the victim would be a bad witness as she was so emotive.

The police knew the "alleged" had a whole series of convictions but this would not be able to be brought up in court unless he was convicted.

I was cautioned not to take things into my own hands as I would undoubtedly be imprisoned and I would be ther first person they would come looking for. And they rightly said, my family needed me in this time.

The feeling of utter frustration nearly put me over the top and even now I am starting to feel sick for not knowing what should have been done.

I feel a failure and coward.
              Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, even if it sticks in your throat. At the very least you are still around to offer support.
              WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

What we see as appropriate justice in this country may be seen by others as uncaring mediocracy, just as we see their laws as cruel and inhumane. One country will accept a wife killing her unfaithful husband as an act of passion whereas another will condone stoning a wife to death for abandoning her unfaithful husband. It's opportune that his subject should come up today as there was a very interesting discussion on R4 wednesday, womens hour, about perceptions of laws and how people accept the rules and traditions of their particular society. Of course, the one thing we all have in common is, when it happens to someone else, we can all discuss it, when it happens to oneself, then it's a bitter pill to swallow.
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X