No announcement yet.

I've just killed my babies :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aren't you supposed to float a tennis ball or something on the top of a fish pond in freezing weather?
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

i've got balls in the pond kept the corner unfrozen, to let bad gasses out, the rest of the pond was at least 2 inches thick

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post

I'd carry on boiling the chicky water too for a few days til we get the proper thaw at the weekend. I know your drinks mostly consist of boiled water anyway
        If you can be @rsed, you could ring the water people tomorrow and ask for today's quality report (or something like that) which they have to record and should show any peaks?
        yeah, i only drink tea or milk ...... except for my bottle first thing in the morning and to sip at night, have boiled some and put it in the fridge for later ..... might try the water board tomorrow, cos actually bit worried

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
          aren't you supposed to float a tennis ball or something on the top of a fish pond in freezing weather?
          yup, i have a small football and a couple of other balls, they have gone over to the corner, but it's stopped the corner freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
            .... might try the water board tomorrow, cos actually bit worried

This any use?
            United Utilities: Drinking water quality

Comment

last date was the 2/1/09, but apparently it comes from a local reservoir, so it's got low levels of everything ..... dunno then ...... maybe they were just suicidal

Comment

I'd still ring them tomorrow & ask, if it's been freezing in the pipes that might do something?
                Jez's mate Bob is a fish/fishing guru, I'll ask hiim what he thinks when he comes round tomorrow.

Comment

Dear God you scared the life outta me! Sorry about the fish but glad the chicks ok
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Are they Lemming fish?
                    I also had minor palpitations thinking that the stinky chicks had had their chips.
                    I dont save my fish from my pond and there are always plenty in there. Leave them to their natural devices Lynda, nature knows best.
                    I have a few footballs and tennis balls on my pond to stop it freezing too, but the balls are just frozen on the top, the whole surface is covered in 4 inch thick ice. I have had to smash a hole every day to allow it to breathe.
                    Bob Leponge
                    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I know your instinct is to protect the baby pond fish, but perhaps they'd be better off staying in the pond, with some oxygenating plants, such as Canadian pond weed to create a refuge for fish fry and other small pond creatures.
                      Objects like clay pipes, even those hideous skulls that you get in aquariums, are good places for baby fish to hide in.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Flaming Nora Lynda, are you trying to kill the Grapes off? I thought oh no the chicks are dead Are the chickies okay? Sorry about the fish but they are not round, fluffy and gorgeous, so don't really tug at the heart strings. I've just noticed Bobleponge saying your chickies are stinky - time for a slapping (not from me cause Bob was in the Paras and can probably kill with his pinky)
                        Last edited by FROSTYFRECKLE; 09-01-2009, 09:44 AM.

Comment

yeap - I am on hot sweet tea.....for shock! I thought CHICKS!!!!

Comment

I'd definitely be for leaving them in the pond in the first place. Mother Narute's a hard woman and some WOULD get eaten - but there would be a balance eventually. You really want a stable eco-system in a pond and you don't get that when you micro-manage it. I know the instinct is to protect the babies but often removing them doesn't really help.

By the way, don't boil the water for them (I KNOW you would let it go cold before you put them in!). It drives off the oxygen so they'd suffocate.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

well another one has died overninght, but it didn't look in the best of health, the others seem ok ....... i just wanted some baby fish in there in spring and they were so tiny i was worried about them ...... i was thinking of boiling the water, then re-oxygenating as i have an air pump?

oh and the chicks are stinky lol ....... definitely next time i hatch some when they are this age they will be outside lol

and yes the chicks are fine ....... see http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ics_25561.html
                              Last edited by lynda66; 09-01-2009, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Oh Lynda I'm so sorry! I've got no advice but horrible for you. Hope the other little fellas are ok. I thought it was the chicks at first... I'm glad it's not but still rotten.
                                I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X