No announcement yet.

How to use make up properly

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let her continue to experiment, but keep quiet (if you can). One day she'll try something that looks really good and that's the time to compliment - we all respond better to praise than criticism. My daughter and I also enjoyed a good browse around Boots together and as she did listen to advice about colours, application etc I offered to treat her to a couple of things. The natural collection is priced at 1.99 per item (or was in the autumn!) and if you go when Boots are doing 3 for 2 even better value. I think I used my advantage card points to pay, so it was a treat for both of us. Good luck, teen girls can be very sensitive about their appearance.
    Last edited by jaykay; 04-01-2009, 09:19 PM. Reason: mistake re age in OP
    Julie

Comment

I have a friend who is a professional make up artist and she never uses anything less than top designer brands... she said that those pictures you see of women in Avon makeup are not actually wearing Avon but something like Yves San Laurent or Shu Emura. She has done photo-shoots for an organic make up brand... we saw it in a health store once and she said 'I did that make up for those photo's on that box' and when I said 'Ooooh, is it good stuff then? It looks good' she arched an expertly plucked eyebrow and smirked. (I took that as a 'no').
      I learned myself very many years ago that you get what you pay for. And when I discovered Shu Emura foundation whilst on holiday this year I jumped at the chance to get some.... and it is wonderfull... very light, hardly there, but gives great cover. I have high natural colour and broken veins and they're all covered but you can't see I'm wearing foundation. Its the best I've ever had!

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
        And women over 40! at least in my house it is
        blah! i dont wear it any more if i can avoid it, unlike when i spent my teen years layered in it

my mum hates that wont even wear mascara and lippy.too much work for every day.
        Last edited by BrideXIII; 04-01-2009, 09:42 PM.
        Vive Le Revolution!!!
        'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
        Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Is it our age, or are we lazy? Or both.

My Mum and MIL both doll themselves up as if they're visiting royalty - even if they're taking the dog to the vet, or just popping out for a pint of milk.
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

wonders if i should mention here, that when i was her age i uset to put my make up on at my mates house and sneak back in so they didn't see me? ..... i still hate wearing make up in front of my mum cos i feel like i gotta look 'normal'

Comment

I would go by the suggestion of buying some teen magazines and also magazines like look etc they have all the update looks on clothes and make up, and if she has also listened to your son and is girlfriend about the clothes do you think it might be a good idea if you did it that way with the makeup.
              Or even with your daughter it might not seem like she is being told off for the way she looks,(because thats what it might feel like to her) but coming from someone in her own age group it might sound like they are trying to help out and thats when maybe you can suggest you all going for a make over somewhere and that way its not all focused on her and how she looks

I'm an avon rep and i get asked often by my customers can they keep the books because they like how the make up is done on the models you could also try doing that...

Comment

My mum wears a little eye make up, and a light touch of lippy and that's it. She has GORGEOUS skin - totally even and hardly any wrinkles (she should have some!) and always looks lovely. Me and sisters usually wear a light touch of something, just to y'know, enhance our natural beauty...
                I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Its not so much that she wears make up more that she doesnt take it off so we thought if someone showed her how to do it properly she would take more care of her skin. My sister has had problems getting her to take regular showers, cant get her in, then when she finally does cant get her out lol. As for washing her hands she is worse than a three year old, she just pretends to, even after she has been to the loo, my sister told her if she didnt start taking hygene more sriously then the make up would be taken away. it worked for a few days then it was back to square one. She just runs the tap when she is supposed to be cleaning her teeth now my sister does an inspection before she goes to school, smells her breath checks her hands etc.
                  Last edited by jackie j; 04-01-2009, 10:57 PM.
                  Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                  and ends with backache

Comment

jackie- in that case i really recomend you take her to a clinique desk thingy at boots/debenhams.

When i was in my teenage years i forever had problems with spots and as i had sensitive skin soap made my skin feel horribley dry.

I discovered the clinique 3 step range when i was about 15 almost by accident! i think i saw that they were giving away free samples with a skin type diagnosis. i tried them out and it was like magic- my skin has been brilliant ever since and i always seem to get compliments on how soft it is! if i stop using the 3 step or buy a cheaper imitation the spots come back... so i just keep on using it!

I dont often wear make up- i used to more when i was at school, but never really wore foundation. However i was looking sickly and pale about a year ago so popped into boots and got the clinique lady to find me a suitable foundation. The one i got is called 'superbalanced makeup' which is a liquid foundation that you apply with a brush but it gives a powder style finish and is very light on the face.... i.e. you dont look like you've trowled it on! i combine it with a bronzer which i mix in before i apply it in the summer (i do this on a peice of mirror) so that i can keep my foundation matching my skin colour tanned or winter white!

that sort of thing would be perfect for your daughter and niece...

your right, learning how to take care of your skin properly and the value of buying decent products can make a massive difference to how you look. Learning to keep the foundation light and properly cleansing is the key. The over application of eye liner and mascara etc is more of a trend and she will grow out of it with time. But if she gets a decent foundation she might realise the power of subtlety more quickly!

If you really want to treat the girls, get them down to boots/debenhams and seeing the clinique ladies! if you were going for an ultimate package i can fully recomend:

* the 3-step package; facewash, cleanser and moisturiser (each chosen to suit their skin types for everyday use)

* take the day off milk cleansing milk (to get the makeup off each night)

* 7 day scrub ( i use this about once a week, and in preperation for a night out)

* super denfense moisturiser ( i use this the morning after a big night out, particularly when ive forgotten to take my makeup off before bed! its a super conditioner)

* a big pack of cotton wool pads to use with the cleanser and cleansing milk

that will keep their skin in tip top shape!

and then make up wise:

* clinique superbalanced foundation

* a foundation brush and something to mix the foundation on before applying

* clinique bronzing gel for face

* if your looking for a less heavy looking eye shadow bourjois are good

Get the clinique lady to do the three step test for their skin type, demonstrate the cleansers and moistureisers that are best suited to thier skin type, apply a base of the foundation- then ask one of the makeup people to give them a make over showing them how less is more. If they find makeup they like they'll most likely buy it themselves.

The money is probably better spent getting a free make over in the store and buying them a decent set up of clinique stuff, particularly the 3-step, than shelling out for a one off make-over. It is fairly expensive stuff, but take a look at the size of the bottles and you realise why- usually i only have to restock once (occassionally twice) a year as i buy the big bottles, so for me its worth every penny. It would be a perfect brithday present for her! (infact my grandma usually buys me clinique products either for my birthday or christmas)

They'll probably end up leaving with some freebies too- clinique are good like that!

Comment

Jackie, not being bothered to keep clean can be a sign of depression. Is this the niece who is staying with your sister because her Dad is a prize prat? If so, then this may be something to do with it... Of course it may also just be teenage lethargy

Comment

Yes it is Sarzwix but teenage lethargy started when she was about 10 lol.
                        Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                        and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by selfheal View Post
                          The money is probably better spent getting a free make over in the store and buying them a decent set up of clinique stuff, particularly the 3-step, than shelling out for a one off make-over. It is fairly expensive stuff
                          I'm glad it works for you, but the Clinique range feels like Cif on my skin ... it is really harsh. And very expensive.
                          I have always had really oily skin, and the best, gentlest, cleanser I've found yet is Boots Botanics foamy cleanser, about £4. It takes make-up off too.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Fantastic book for a teenager, Teenage Beauty By Bobbi brown. Bobbi Brown Teenage Beauty: Bobbi Brown, Anne Marie Iverson: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Top makeup artist who has done all the supermodels and major pop stars, Loads of pics and explains everything without being condescending. It might not make her change all at once but the great advice does sink in. Cheaper than a makeover and she can still buy all her own trendy brands of makeup. Hope this helps. The orange face really is a teenage thing though. oh and before i forget the bobbi brown makeup is expensive but not stupidly so, but its fantastic.
                            Last edited by furball; 05-01-2009, 08:49 AM.
                            You're closer to god in a garden than anywhere else on earth.

Comment

It is worth getting skincare advice - I spent my teenage years and early 20's assuming I had oily skin, then had my first facial and found out my skin was quite dryish. Turns out rubbing Oxy-10 into my face just 'cos my friends did was REALLY stupid...

I also learned Biactol (are these things still around?) is not a toner...

Clinique was good for me for a few years but yep - too harsh for me as well now. I love Dr Haushka now - expensive but organic, biodynamic ingredients, and lovely to use.
                              I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
                                Yes it is Sarzwix but teenage lethargy started when she was about 10 lol.
                                10 can be just when hormones start making merry hell... If your sister can get her to take a B6 supplement, it might help her to balance things out a bit.
                                Honestly, having been there myself, I think the not being bothered to keep clean bit is much more worrying than whether she has too much make-up on or not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X