Ubuntu Corner

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrier

I have used Ubuntu for a long time now (4+ years) and as a ex IT bod, I would recommend that you move your emails online i.e Gmail or Yahoo this really does give you access anywhere. Furthermore, the above give you larger storage and bigger size of attachments Gmail gives you 20mb.

I personally use Zoho, this online email system comes with an excellent range of free programs including Notebook, Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Calendar, etc and has tools like viewer that will open anything for you to read. This along with Firefox makes it all very powerful.
    HAPPY 'Growing My Own'
    Dale

Comment

If you really like playing around with Open Source you should download a copy of either TinyMe or Puppy and burn them as an ISO image.

Look on DistroWatch.com: TinyMe

They are both very small and again very fast. You can run them both from a CD and you don't have to install them onto you PC at all, in fact I think you can even install TinyMe onto a USB stick.

For your email why not swap to a web based client then you don't have to set things up just login via your browser - I use googlemail.com and have never had a problem see Google Mail: What's been keeping the Google Mail team busy
      Remember If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !

Comment

INGU, you're distracting me, I thought it was a puppyDOG website I'll not get any gardening done if you keep suggesting new 'puter toys. Anyway, I don't think I'll be doing any software developing. I've been using a Yahoo mail account for some time now but OH has always used Microsoft and won't change, so I'm trying to get her Email to work on my machine as a backup. When I try to receive mail, I get a message "invalid login/password pair". I'm using the same login/password for both machines
        I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Just a point - If you use Googlemail you can set it up to receive mail from other accounts - I have mine set to collect from 4 other email accounts including my wife's, might be worth a thought.

I don't think you can set Yahoo to do that.
          ( I don't know anything about Zoho that daleclarke recommends)

Anyway you need to get your mail set-up now before the session really starts.
          Remember If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !

Comment

In Yahoo mail there's a facility for 'alternate email', I think that's for getting emails from another account but I've not tried it yet. More experimentation. Hardly did anything in the garden today, picked some beetroot and that was it, too cold.

Comment

Phewee, thanks terrier until the last sentence I thought you were all talking in code. I was about to report you all as a possible terrorist cell, burn them ISO images, free programs bout more powerful firefox, PC's running, passwords, pop settings, and live CD's for 2 weeks before deciding. Go on tell me what household chemicals ya using?
              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeywills View Post
                Phewee, thanks terrier until the last sentence I thought you were all talking in code. I was about to report you all as a possible terrorist cell, burn them ISO images, free programs bout more powerful firefox, PC's running, passwords, pop settings, and live CD's for 2 weeks before deciding. Go on tell me what household chemicals ya using?
                Bleach and brakefluid makes a good smokescreen, Mikey!

Comment

It's those Ubuntu's, they may be listening........

Comment

Originally posted by inearlygaveup View Post
                    ...I have mine set to collect from 4 other email accounts including my wife's...
                    So Mister Suspicious then? lol
                    Last edited by Glutton4...; 24-01-2009, 12:18 PM.
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                      So Mister Suspicious then? lol
                      No, No, No nothing like that at all. My wife doesn't use or want to use email, its only there because of some of our online accounts...............so nothing suspicious at all

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
                        Every time i read the tittle of this thread i think we are in down town Soweto....jacob..
                        same ere, i have ignored this thread until now and I am sorry to say I have never heard of it
                        Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X