No announcement yet.

Noddy's first trip out!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drive the UK cars quite happily in France, Germany, Belgium and Holland but get out at the first junction! Madmax can take it from there.

Drove quite happily in the US once I had my Rabbit there (Golf here) - tried to change gear with left hand a few times but the bruises on the knuckles faded after a few weeks! Easier to drive on the right with left hand drive car really as you can see when it is clear to overtake.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Oooh this thread brings back memories. First time I drove a lefty in Spain, I was worse than useless.

Several years later, no problem at all! Just had to remember to keep my right hand on the gearknob, or my left would automatically try and change gear with the door handle.

I've nearly always driven a manual, but my current car is an automatic (girly gearbox ), I've had it 18 months now, but last week, I went up to a roundabout, and my left leg lifted voluntarily for the clutch! Unfortunately OH was with me and he took the pee (he's never done it, of course ).
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

An update....you'll be proud of me!!!....

This week I drove to Rennes- 230miles round trip , to pick up my mother from the airport- and took her back on Saturday...so that's 460 miles on the wrong side of the road!!!!

It's certainly an improvement on my first trip!!!!

..next time will be in a left hand drive

just shows what difference a few weeks makes doesn't it!!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I can't even cope with our motorways, there's no chance of me driving on the wrong side of the road
          Nicos, I'm proud of you, well done

Comment

Left hand drive causes other complications. The handbrake and gear lever are not where you automatically reach for them. You need to readjust to how you position the car on the road.

Sarz, motorways are EASY compared to country lanes!
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
              Left hand drive causes other complications. The handbrake and gear lever are not where you automatically reach for them. You need to readjust to how you position the car on the road.
              I know!!!

Comment

Nicos, you are very naughty. You went all the way to Rennes and didnt even pop in for a cafe and croissant?
                I never have a problem driving here, havent once done the wrong side of the road thing, however in UK I have encountered people waving quite unpleasant hand signs at me as I have forgotten where I should be.
                Bob Leponge
                Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
                  pop in for a cafe and croissant?
                  OOooo....you know the way to a gals heart!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                    Sarz, motorways are EASY compared to country lanes!
                    Not if you get claustrophobic in the middle lane, and panic on slip roads And I live on country lanes, so quite used to them

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                      Not if you get claustrophobic in the middle lane, and panic on slip roads And I live on country lanes, so quite used to them
                      I get claustrophobic in the slow lane, if lorries overtake me. It took me a fair bit of self-discipline to overcome slip-road nerves, but at least the motorway doesn't routinely have imbeciles coming towards you, invisible until too late to avoid (bends and hedges), and FAR too fast!
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X