I blame Delia Smith

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I blame Delia Smith

Just noticed that the level of my favourite and finest port has dropped considerably in the bottle. It seems to have evaporated overnight.

Then Mrs A confessed to using it in Delia's recipe for Cranberry and Orange Relish ready for tomorrows meal.

My beloved port in a bl**dy relish. Bah Humbug.

She won't let me taste it until tomorrow but is confident it will be worth the wait.

Seasons Greetings to you all - with lots of relish

erm i may have pinched some as well cos i am doing her cranberry cumberland sauce for the venison tomorrow sowwy.
    Vive Le Revolution!!!
    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

No wonder the level in the bottle is falling faster than my bank balance at the moment.

The venison sounds great BrideXIII - Delia is always in our house at Xmas - well in spirit anyway - mostly brandy and port

Now when I think of Delia and alcohol I only seem to remember that TV clip of her calling out to the football supporters for their support....... was funny though - "Where are ya" will never sound the same anymore.

Have a good one JA

Comment

Johnny I would suggest that a crime of passion should be in order, and you would clearly walk away scot free. Your best port????
        Gadzooks, what was she thinking of???

"That" Delia clip?? There are some things that money cant buy. Priceless.
        Last edited by bobleponge; 24-12-2008, 05:53 PM.
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
          Johnny I would suggest that a crime of passion should be in order, and you would clearly walk away scot free. Your best port????
          Glad you understand where I'm coming from bobleponge.

Cooking with a chap's finest vintage port is just not the done thing (although on this occasion it clearly was). I mean its just not cricket is it?

Mrs A just saw port on the label and started to cook.

She rarely drinks and a weak spritzer is all it takes to well, I'll stop there, but you get my drift.......
          Last edited by Johnny Appleseed; 24-12-2008, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Can't do with Delia. My Dad always called her Saint Delia and swore by her recipes. He was a good 'natural' cook but though she was the mut's nuts!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              My Dad always called her Saint Delia
              Nice one Flummery - it has a certain ring to it - a bit like "Where are yah? C'mon Where are yah?"

The 21 seconds of Delia behaving badly after drinking my port

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8JLkwzpd0
              Last edited by Johnny Appleseed; 24-12-2008, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Delia, I take it all back........for doubting Saint Delia that is......

Your Cranberry and Orange Relish (with port) is absolutely superb and it didn't last long with a house full of hungry festive revellers.

Scrummy-tastic. Must have again.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Appleseed View Post
                  Delia, I take it all back........for doubting Saint Delia that is......

Your Cranberry and Orange Relish (with port) is absolutely superb and it didn't last long with a house full of hungry festive revellers.

Scrummy-tastic. Must have again.
                  well i have to admit, the venison was absolutely spot on perfectly pink inside and as tender as anything, the sauce itself was fantastic, my bratz went on and on about it.
                  It's the first time i have 'Done a Delia'

will try another sometime definitely.
                  Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Some years ago I bought a couple of bottles of Davy's Port, only crusting I know but I had kept the bottles standing for months in a vibration free place. Then decanted them off to give me 1 and bit bottles, the bit I drank even though it still had not quite got the clarity.

Other bottle stood again for several months before I decanted again and it looked perfect. I kept it hidden behind the bar ready for a special treat.

Came home one day to find the outlaws in situ all enjoying a drink. When it came to time for a refill I asked what they wanted. SIL & MIL both said port & lemon please. Like an innocent I went to pick up a bottle of Ruby off the shelf and they said no can't we have some of that nice stuff under the bar.
                    I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacey Steve View Post
                      SIL & MIL both said port & lemon please. Like an innocent I went to pick up a bottle of Ruby off the shelf and they said no can't we have some of that nice stuff under the bar.
                      ROFL StaceySteve- I know where you are coming from. Some crimes of passion are 100% justifiable.

Don't waste your best port on heathens - it's casting pearls before swine.

My father in law sloshes litres (well nearly) of American ginger ale in his brandy and expects me to do the same for him with my Remy when they call in.

Dream on I say - that's what unknown El Cheapo cooking brandy is for isn't it?

When I offer him a taste of 100% pure unadulterated quality brandy he simply says "Oh, I don't like that". He will only drink it with gassy ginger ale at a ratio of 5 parts ginger to 1 of brandy. Why bother? All he can taste is the amber gaseous liquid with a hint of alcohol.

New Year resolution - to install a fire proof safe big enough for all my best brandy and port and a combination code known only to me (and Nigella and Delia)

Comment

Even though I'm a "mere female", I'm with you on this one Johnny. And before any other "mere female's" start ranting, I refer to myself like that in this instance only because with the exception of Jilly Goulden (sp?) all the booze experts I've come across seem to be of the male variety and they know what they're talking about. I've learned that good brandy, port, whisky should never be adulterated with fizzy stuff! A good brandy after a meal or to settle a funny tummy is wonderful! Port and Stilton - sheer heaven. Whisky with a splash of water - mmmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy, though I have to say that I'm not keen on the whiskies that taste a bit iodine-y
                        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

I'll join Maureen on the 'mere female with taste' sofa, cant bear good stuff being diluted.

If i have cheapo vodka it gets the coke treatment

the good stuff is drunk neat straight from the feezer
                          Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X