Bricks fell out ~ is it a problem?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bricks fell out ~ is it a problem?

I just looked out my bedroom window, and noticed two fragments of brick have fallen out of the wall upstairs

No idea why they fell off (frost? it was minus 2 last night). No sign of damage such as from thrown objects. They seem to have just fallen off spontaneously ... a piece of mortar from one place, and a 4 inch fragment of red brick from a different place.

Thing is, I don't want to tell Mr Sheds unless it's going to cause probs to the wall... will rain get in etc. ?
    (he's just way stressed at the moment)

what to do?
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 12-12-2008, 08:09 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Are they 'whole' bricks that have come out or just some bits kinda crumbled off?
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Probably frost TS. One of my ornamental urns at the lottie has succumbed also. Bricks will need replacing but will probably be ok until after the festivities!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I think it's called shaling

this is shaling of roof tiles....

http://www.biscoeandstanton.co.uk/mvc-d7s.jpg

is that the sort of flaking you're talking about??
        As Snadger says- it'll keep until spring- but get it seen to as it'll get worse and cause problems
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          I think it's called shaling

this is shaling of roof tiles....

http://www.biscoeandstanton.co.uk/mvc-d7s.jpg

is that the sort of flaking you're talking about??
          As Snadger says- it'll keep until spring- but get it seen to as it'll get worse and cause problems
          Spalling (if it is flakey bits). Needs sorted eventually, but a week or so won't matter unless the hole is deep. If the bricks are old ones, DON'T do what we see so often and use ordinary cement to fill the gap. The easy way is to use lime mortar (it sets much softer than the other sort). The 'proper' answer is to cut out the damaged bricks and put new ones in.
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

What sort of roof is the kitchen? If its slate/tiled and the bits of brick are a reasonable size then just be sure they arent damaged. If its a flat roof then there shouldnt be a problem.
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
              What sort of roof is the kitchen? If its slate/tiled and the bits of brick are a reasonable size then just be sure they arent damaged. If its a flat roof then there shouldnt be a problem.
              Stick. End of. Wrong?

I must've written it wrong.
              The bricks (just fragments, not whole bricks) weren't out of the roof, they fell onto the roof below (which isn't damaged)
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 13-12-2008, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Probably caused by the frost. Water gets into the gaps and expands when it freezes. Unless there are large gaps left or more fall it can wait a few weeks. Can you see where they've come from?

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                  Can you see where they've come from?
                  Yep.
                  Just underneath the overflow pipes that were dripping.
                  We don't know what the overflow is for ... I need to get in the loft and investigate.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    Yep.
                    Just underneath the overflow pipes that were dripping.
                    We don't know what the overflow is for ... I need to get in the loft and investigate.
                    The overflow pipes will be from the cold water header tank in the loft. Should have a ball valve in it similar to the ones you get in toilet cisterns. Probably needs adjusting.

Comment

Your bricks have "blown", in essence they have become saturated and the frost has frozen that water causing it to expand and "blow" off. Its also called scabing or spalling but is caused by wet bricks freezing.

Your overflow will be either the cold water or central heating header tanks over flowing. This will be caused by the ballvalve not seating properly. It is a straight forward DIY job to replace (turn off the water first), but before replacing, try bending (gently) the ballvalve arm down an inch or two to lower the level at which it seats.

Do fix it asap, twill save lots of problems.

Comment

Thanks Piglet, I will get up there when this wind stops blowing (that'll be May then)

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                          Your bricks have "blown", in essence they have become saturated and the frost has frozen that water causing it to expand and "blow" off. Its also called scabing or spalling but is caused by wet bricks freezing.

Your overflow will be either the cold water or central heating header tanks over flowing. This will be caused by the ballvalve not seating properly. It is a straight forward DIY job to replace (turn off the water first), but before replacing, try bending (gently) the ballvalve arm down an inch or two to lower the level at which it seats.

Do fix it asap, twill save lots of problems.
                          Also make sure the overflow pipe ends lower than where it comes out of the wall. If the water is running back, that is NOT GOOD! There may be water staying in the pipe, and then it can freeze there....... Sorting the overflow (and ball valve) is MUCH more urgent than mending the bricks!
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds
                            ...I will get up there when this wind stops blowing (that'll be May then)
                            You the only one that'll fit through the loft hatch then?
                            To see a world in a grain of sand
                            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X