Clear All

• war cookery and rationing leaflets

I use and read a lot rationing books from ww2. they
    really new how to prevent food waste using their
    limited supplies. skills given current rising food prices
    everyone should relearn.
    not all recipe may fit current eating habits but they doo help
    when have limited supplies.
    here are two link that could be helpful.

war cookery leaflets
    https://archive.org/details/war-cook...0leaflet%2001/

stork margarine cookery note from 1940-1952
    here are links to an online source. https://wellcomecollection.org/works...+cookery+notes

enjoy

Thanks, WG. Will read later.

Comment

John Harrison has done a reprint of the DIg for Victory leaflets called "Dig for Victory" ISBN 978-1-8381857-0-1 a fascinating read. and then theres the Wartime Kitchen Garden series of course

ntg
      Buy Dig for Victory; Monthly Growing Guides and Commentary by Harrison, John (ISBN: 9781838185701) from Amazon's Book Store. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Somewhere we've got a "dig for victory" DVD. Maybe I'll have another look at it.

Mr GF (age 93) told me his younger brother was digging in the local rubbish dump as a child and said he'd found a piece of "victory". Evidently it was a bit of clinker from a fire.

He also says that wartime food (compared to now) was bland and boring and that "national margerine" was comparable to axle grease. He would rather have lard and a sprinkle of salt on his bread.

Nowadays, possibly due to his formative years, he is a hoarder of everything and anything. He also eats lots of butter, cream and full fat milk.

He does remember that he used to keep rabbits and his father used to breed and slaughter them for extra meat ( and then sell them for 6d each - 2½p.)

Comment

to nick the grief
          someone posted a link to a site for uk dig for victory leaflet.
          but that site did include all 27,

here is a link to all 27 dig for victory leaflets

https://archive.org/details/digforvi.../leaflet%2001/

Allotment & Garden Guides 1945 all 12 monthly leaflets.

https://archive.org/details/allotmen...%20%20%201945/

there is the bbc wartime kitchen and garden series
          there is also bbc the wartime farm series
          there is also 36 leaflets from ration period
          but i have not had a chance to scan them
          I also have at least 40 more of the stork ones not list at site I post in
          my first post in my personal collection which i will post later if you all
          want me to. both links in this thread are scans of the leaflet I post to
          achive.org from scan of the leaflet from my own personal collection of ww 2
          leaflet pamphlets. enjoy
          Last edited by wargarden2023; 05-01-2023, 07:18 PM.

Comment

oh i forgot if you would like i also have several recipe leaflets from world war one
            from uk but i will have to scan them so can post them tomorrow. let me know if you
            would like me to post links to them in this thread or start another thread.

Comment

I remember rabbit being a staple meat, there was always rabbit hanging on the butchers rail, skinned but still with the head on, this was to show it was rabbit and not cat, the local poacher made quite a good living selling them up till myxomatosis arrived, as for stork margerine, it did taste slightly better than what went before it, but still, for me, needed jam or if no jam, sugar sprinkled over it, OH can't eat a butter with jam spread, and says I use far to much butter if/when I use it on biscuits or on a piece which of course is always butter and jam, and for many years I always finished a meal with a piece of bread with butter and jam
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

rary guess they had shortage of Tories and chickens.
                if you have a chicken, a cat and conservative.
                they could have made chicken, cat and Tory.

the poacher was probably Elmer FUDD.
                Last edited by shannonbrooke07; 06-01-2023, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X