This is so not a real person

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it's safe to open one?

Sorry to appear like a Thicko, but when it comes to this kind of stuff - i'm a Thicko LOL! X
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Apologies...but I've not had a dim question for at least 24hrs!!If you put an unknown Email into spam,is it then safe to open?
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post

Sorry to appear like a Thicko, but when it comes to this kind of stuff - i'm a Thicko LOL! X
        Originally posted by andi&di View Post
        Apologies...but I've not had a dim question for at least 24hrs!!If you put an unknown Email into spam,is it then safe to open?
        At least we're not alone!!

Comment

emails themselves are not viruses, links in them can be so don't click on them, and NEVER open an attachement on one, unless you know that its safe cos the person sending it told you on the phone they were sending it

yes its safe to open them, especially if they are up on a third party server, just dont click on any link in them.

at least that way you can see what they say.

if you are downloading them to your pute via outlook etc, you can , if you have a decent anti virus installed, right click on the email, and ask the anti-virus to scan it before you open it.

and no question is daft when it comes to internet security, i am not a god in this area, but if i can help, i will, i will always say if i don't know.
          Last edited by BrideXIII; 06-12-2008, 12:39 AM.
          Vive Le Revolution!!!
          'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
          Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Shall we start an 'Ask BrideXIII' thread, where we can all get our pooter queries sorted?
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Shall we start an 'Ask BrideXIII' thread, where we can all get our pooter queries sorted?

don't you flippin dare lol.

the truth is i am self taught, which helps, cos every way you could frik up i have, and i wont be beat by what is just a machine

so if i don't know the answer, i always know a man that does
              Last edited by BrideXIII; 06-12-2008, 12:41 AM.
              Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Right,last question...promise!!(for tonight anyway!)Is the above all applicable even if you've moved it to your spam folder?

Comment

yes
                  a folder is just that, a folder, same as your inbox, its just you filter has done some of the work for you, in fact ALWAYS check your spam folder cos filters do get it wrong, they work on repetative keywords.

you can scan it and open it in the same way.

just cos its in the spam folder doesn't mean its virused, just means it is likely advertising.
                  Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

but the spam folder doesn't act as a guard against viruses...so still don't open attatchments?I thought I could put stuff in spam & then it was safe to open
                    maybe in these winter months a crash course in pooters wouldn't be such a bad thing!!...What times suit you best Bride?

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
                      but the spam folder doesn't act as a guard against viruses...so still don't open attatchments?I thought I could put stuff in spam & then it was safe to open
                      maybe in these winter months a crash course in pooters wouldn't be such a bad thing!!...What times suit you best Bride?
                      no its not a guard agaisnt viruses, you have an anti-virus prog for that ( i hope) the spam folder is just that, email prog has a filter, that picks up repeated keywords and spots advertising, not viruses, so it bungs anything it regards as advertising in the spam folder, 9 times out of ten its right, but you you should check it before you delete it, cos you could miss something you DO want just because it has those keywords..

still apply the rule, don't click links, dont open attatchments, you will spot stuff thats carp, banks you dont have an account at etc, enlarge your bits!

all emails are safe to open on a third party server, googlemail, hotmail etc, they take the hit if its virused at source( you still get it if you click a link etc), if you are using outlook or something similar you have to be more aware

I say repeatedy, install AVG free, it has an email scanner, never had one get through unless i was stupid enough to open an attachment despite being warned ( and i have, just to see)

i will be appearing here all winter
                      Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                        Thing is...when these are posted [not having a go or anything] you are increasing the chances of peeps going in and looking on the contact info - and both of these have very naughty homepages...thus increasing the chances of them being clicked on - which is what they want.

And these 2 have homepages that really should not be clicked on.

It's a bugger innit...
                        i forgot to answer this one, which was silly cos you hit the nail on the head, this is not about what they post, its about looking at their profile and clicking on the links there, DON'T, that what makes money for the people that pay them.
                        Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII View Post
                          Piskie love, i did try to explain in the other threads, these are actually real people!!.
                          steady on old girl - I'm not a twelve year old ya know

Thing is in many cases these are NOT people, I'm not saying you are wrong at all, you obviously know more than me on the tech front.

However, one of my clients is a professional hacker - no guys he/she isn't a baddie, they do a ton of good and for such organisations as you'd not think would use the like - and this client showed/taught me how these are machines (a bit like random diallers).

Of course, somewhere way back down the line there is a person setting this all but....oh ya know what ....I'd lost the will to live.....
                          aka
                          Suzie

Comment

As a dim old Granny, can I ask why anyone should want your e-mail address except to advertise something which folk can ignore and delete if they please?

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
                              As a dim old Granny, can I ask why anyone should want your e-mail address except to advertise something which folk can ignore and delete if they please?
                              its a bit like ........... pyramid selling, or maybe that con where you had to address envelopes a few years back, they get paid for the amount of emails they send, if they use their own address people can complain to their internet provider and get them shut down, so, they use other peoples email addresses (hijack), to avoid it, they dont care if anyone reads them, like leafletting, they get paid by volume and just hope that someone somewhere along the line is daft enough to fall for the advertising, and as we have seen, many are. there must be money in it somewhere, cos its still happening.
                              Vive Le Revolution!!!

Comment

Just looking at who is online and I think there may be a potential spammer registering. Zefzintaida is the name. I may be proved wrong, would be nice to welcome a new genuine person to the vine.
                                Kirsty b xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X