No announcement yet.

50's Housewife Rhona

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My children are grown now - I stayed at home with them when they were small, worked part time (2 mornings) when the youngest started school. I grew veg and kept chickens for a few years, it all helps.

I think each family has to decide what's best for them, but I never regret being at home with them when they were young - you don't get those years back.

My daughter has two children, she works as a waitress so that she can work evenings and one weekend day - her OH works full time Mon-Fri so he's with the children while she works. It's a pretty crowded routine at times but it suits them.
    My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
      It's been sooo hard trying to work out what is the best thing to do - I love my career and firm and it was amazingly stressful but very rewarding at the same time. My firm have been lovely and said they would "look kindly' on me wanting to return in a year or two, but we'll see.
      Good luck, and enjoy your stay-at-home time.
      Is there any way you can "keep your hand in" with work? Keeping up to date on technology etc.

One of our teachers left last year, but is now back with the tiny ones a couple of mornings a week, just to keep her hand in, and her face known.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Well done Rhona - best job in the world!
        I had to work after I had my first, but now after no 2 I can choose to do 1 day or what I want each week, which works for me!
        There are sacrifices as there's less money, but after you pay for childcare it's not that much less! And we've never really been ones of 3 weeks in the Maldives! (Actually never had the chance to find out...)

Comment

I didn't go back to work after my first, then had No 2 and 3, all exactly 2 years apart, 2 Junes, and a July. 3 under 5 was pretty full on, but I helped out at 3 mother and toddler groups, then the nursery school, then parent helper at primary school. Returning to my old job wasn't an option as we had reloacted with OH job when No1 was 2 weeks old, but childcare costs would have meant it wasn't worthwhile. My personal feeling was if I couldn't spend the time bringing them up, then I wasn't having them. A friend put her daughter into the nursery at 7 in the morning, and often didn't get back until 7 at night.
          Looking back I definitely have no regrets, we did so many things together, an even at 16,18 and 20, there are still times when they say 'I remember...' I also had an allotment, a wonderful garden, time to decorate cakes, loads of pets. Money was tight, but it still is as now I work and OH is medically retired.
          I know it doesn't suit everyone, but I really feel kids need their parent(s) not a childminder or nursery. Otherwise, how will they learn to be parents to their children?
          I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
          Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well done Rhona. Once the decision is made everything feels better anyway! OH and I decided that I would stay at home (I'd never say that I gave up work - that's a complete myth!), it was the career I'd always wanted. I eventually became a childminder, but it meant I was always there for the school run, for school events, helping out with reading, chores were done, real meals were cooked and weekends were just for the family. Later on when they were at secondary school they always knew someone was expecting them home - no bad thing IMHO!! I've always felt that raising the next generation IS an important job. Staying at home isn't for everyone, but if it is right for you, it's an amazing opportunity.
            Life is too short for drama & petty things!
            So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X