No announcement yet.

40 cows? She's a stunner

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in Tunisia too (before I got divorced) and my husband was really angry when a dishy young chap offered him 10 camels for me (maybe he meant ciggies though )
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Couldn't the lad offer to throw in some chickens/goats/sheep to make up to a 20 cower at least

My OM reckons he wouldn't be able to give me away *goes buries head in sand
      Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

The cow is king here Hayley. Chickens etc are run of the mill but if you have a cow you da man. If you have a daughter worth 40 cow, then you truly are made for life. The monetary value of the cow here is extraordianary compared to the value of other things. Makes no sense to me, but here thats just how it is.
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Just curious, do either the man or woman get any choice in who they marry?
          I was feeling part of the scenery
          I walked right out of the machinery
          My heart going boom boom boom
          "Hey" he said "Grab your things
          I've come to take you home."

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
            Just curious, do either the man or woman get any choice in who they marry?
            guess that depends on whether they are a 2 or a 40 cower lol

Comment

20 silly old Moo's for one young moo?
              The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
              Brian Clough

Comment

The lady in question has no choice whatsoever if a dowry is paid by the suitor. This is a misogynistic country still, with money talking. Facial scarring (in lieu of tattooing) is all the rage and a man is deemed to be "tres beau" if he has a mush full of scar designs. However, as is often the case, money talks. The guy nearby who has 11 wives came from a rich (Sudanese standards) family, and so he decided he wanted lots of wives, so he chose them.
                My young Stephen, chose the 40 cow'er, before the rustling took place. He is too old to be single so he has no choice in whether he marries or not, although he now has a choice of all the 10 cow'ers available. I found out last night that he could have chosen a 20 cow'er, but sadly 10 cows have to be given in compensation to the jilted lady's father. Seems a touch harsh when he has just had his living rustled away.
                Bob Leponge
                Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I know of the same sort of practice in Crete but with goats.
                  The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                  Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                    A student of my husband's from Biafra, had married a wife he was extremely pleased with but kept hanging fire on part of the 'payment'. He still owed the girl's family a goat. It seemed that if he didn't pay up, he couldn't visit or be visited by the in-laws. What a blow eh!
                    Quality. A wise man. But this would not have worked with my 'hagga bagga'. She bred prize winning dairy goats.
                    Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
                    Cut your engines, cool your wings,
                    You've taken me home...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X