Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning, no rain due here today unless they change the forecast again.

A funny memory of a duvet was our youngest getting trapped inside when she decided to be a big girl and wanted to change her own bedding.

Enjoy your day.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Continental quilts are fine as long as your OH doesn't keep hogging it, at least when the sheets were tucked in you kept some covering
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Good morning all.
        A beautiful sunny morning but just 2degs.
        Busy day ahead, trip to the post office, the pharmacy and the day hairdressers.
        No tine to chatcthis morning so catch you all later.
        Have a good day all,

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• My mom was born in 1927 in Manchester.
          She shared a 4 ft bed with her 2 sisters until she was a teenager when her older sister joined the WRENS to fight in the war.
          In winter they had to put their coats on their beds to try and keep warmer.

Its quite humbling tbh in reality isn't it?
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post
            Continental quilts are fine as long as your OH doesn't keep hogging it, at least when the sheets were tucked in you kept some covering
            My theory on continental quilts is you should always buy one the size bigger than your bed, eg King size quilt on double bed unless of course you want to encourage any other occupants of the bed to snuggle up close in the middle.
            Very cold but sunny here this morning, it's supposed to warm up on Sunday I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              My mom was born in 1927 in Manchester.
              She shared a 4 ft bed with her 2 sisters until she was a teenager when her older sister joined the WRENS to fight in the war.
              In winter they had to put their coats on their beds to try and keep warmer.

Its quite humbling tbh in reality isn't it?
              My husband says as a child they used to put coats on the bed and his dad used to put bricks in the coal oven in the evening and then wrap the hot bricks in old towels and put them into the beds to warm the beds up. He also used to take the oven shelves out of the oven and put them in bed too.

Comment

• Good morning again, had quite a busy morning, first had to take one of the grandsons to school then a wee bit of shopping before going out to the garden and just out when the heavens opened, heavy rain and hail so back in the house just as a young lassie came in to do OHs hair so I took the opportunity of getting a hair cut while she was there,as the saying goes, you should cut a stick(or hair in this case) when you see it​​​​​​, now that the rain is off I will get out to the garden as I have some fences to install, enjoy your day, keep yourself and others safe and above all have a smile to pass on to others
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post
                  Continental quilts are fine as long as your OH doesn't keep hogging it, at least when the sheets were tucked in you kept some covering
                  This is one of my favourite poems:

Pleasant dreams and sweet repose,
                  Half the bed and all the clothes!

GF, my mum remembers her mum taking the shelves out of the oven to warm the beds too. The oven was hot because it was next to the chimney and heated by the fire.
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post

My theory on continental quilts is you should always buy one the size bigger than your bed, eg King size quilt on double bed unless of course you want to encourage any other occupants of the bed to snuggle up close in the middle.
                    Very cold but sunny here this morning, it's supposed to warm up on Sunday I think.
                    That’s exactly what I do here GF…king size on double, 6ft on king bed. That 6ft one is a pain to change though, I use clothes pegs to hold the corners and middle before fluffing the rest up.
                    I also remember my parents using coats to keep us warm in winter. Are winters warmer now or is it just we all have central heating these days?
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay22 View Post

That’s exactly what I do here GF…king size on double, 6ft on king bed. That 6ft one is a pain to change though, I use clothes pegs to hold the corners and middle before fluffing the rest up.
                      I also remember my parents using coats to keep us warm in winter. Are winters warmer now or is it just we all have central heating these days?
                      I think Winters are warmer but central heating makes a big, big difference. I remember as a child watching a local farmer breaking 4 foot (120cm for you youngsters) icicles off the gutter of one of his barns so that they didn't fall and hit anybody on the head. They looked like stalactites. We used to sledge in his fields. Amazingly schools never shut for bad weather. We were really lucky because when I was young my dad and grandad had a coal business so we always had a coal fire and we moved into a house with coke fired central heating, coal fires and even electricity before I started school.

Comment

• I like that poem mothhawk and so true, well from OHs point of view and yes I also think winters are warmer nowadays, you do get some cold spells but nothing like the winters of the past​​​​​​
                        ​​​​​

Comment

• Good evening all.
                          Got everything done but my dress wasnt altered when went to collect it.
                          A job for tomorrow.

My aunt was a machinist and I remember she made a patchwork quilt for the double bed me and my sister slept in.
                          We had it throughout our childhood.
                          It brought such happy memories when I look back on it.

I think winters are a lot warmer now, never see clothes still on the line.
                          Have a good evening all.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Morning all.

The sun came up in splendour a few minutes ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sunrise 11 december 2021.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	2538014
                            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Lovely sunrise MH - stunning in fact!

I had intended to go this weekend to an outdoor Xmas fair but I think I’ve scared myself out of the idea
                              I don’t really need anything and I’ve already bought / given my Xmas pressies….fingers crossed for next year but I whole heartedly support local shops and craft makers as much as I can.

One guy - clearly a Romany - knocks on our door each year selling woven baskets/ seats etc and I always buy something from him. They are amazingly good. I asked him last year if he could make some festive decorations as I’d certainly buy some from him.
                              I just hope I’ve not missed him over the past couple of weeks, and if not, that he has been brave enough to experiment making something outside his comfort zone.
                              If not I’ll buy a woven basket for my son’s fireside starter wood.
                              Pity he won’t leave a card as I’d have invited him back if I have indeed missed him.

Exciting day for me ….We’ll be putting up the trees and decorations

What have other peeps got arranged for this weekend?
                              Only 2 weeks to go!
                              Last edited by Nicos; 11-12-2021, 08:38 AM.
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning That's a lovely photo mothhawk.

A frosty start here not been out yet so didn't check GH temps.

Nicos just wondering when you mentioned callers do the pompiers still come around with their calendar ?

Best get on enjoy your day.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse
                                • rary
                                  Reply to Chitchat thread #24
                                  by rary
                                  Today, 12:41 PM
                                • rary
                                  Reply to Heated mat for Tom's and chillies
                                  by rary
                                  I use a mix of six scoops of compost three scoops of sand/grit and two scoops of perlite,the quantity is unimportant as long as the ratio is the same, if for seeds I use this mix, if I am potting on I add some blood, fish and bone, along with a small quantity of chicken manure pellets
                                  ​ though...
                                  Today, 12:28 PM
                                • Florence Fennel
                                  Reply to Chitchat thread #24
                                  by Florence Fennel
                                  Today, 12:02 PM

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X