Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning all. The sun is trying to shine but the wind is practically gale force.

My tomato plants eventually arrived yesterday over two weeks after they were ordered supposedly with 24 hour despatch. They looked very sorry for themselves when they got here, bone dry with lots of broken leaves. I think three out of the four might survive but a minor miracle may be needed to resurrect number four. I think I'll call him Lazarus, more in hope than anticipation.

Bye for now.

Comment

• Morning

That's not good service GF are you emailing them photos of the plants condition, I know I would be.

It looks like being a dry day here plenty to do outdoors that didn't get done with yesterdays rain.

enjoy your day.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
        Morning

That's not good service GF are you emailing them photos of the plants condition, I know I would be.

It looks like being a dry day here plenty to do outdoors that didn't get done with yesterdays rain.

enjoy your day.
        I'll give the plants 48 hours or so to settle down and see how/if they recover but I took photos as soon as they arrived and I'll take more. I think seed companies are continually going downhill with customer service and we deserve better treatment (as do the plants).

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all

Lovely sunny and warm start to the day…OH rushed out to start strimming before it gets too hot.
          Looks like we’re in for a heatwave later this week so we need to get the more physical stuff done asap. Hopefully the dry spell will stop the lawns from growing. The garden has never looked so lush but mowing such a large area every 5 days is a bit much tbh. It’s usually slowed down to once a fortnight by now.

Our first set of guests arrived yesterday and the first thing one of the ladies asked was if we have any weeding she could help with
          She’s been before and absolutely loves gardening as she said it’s so therapeutic for her. Oh yes indeed…do feel free lass

Speaking of which…I best set to myself - probably in a shady area !

gf…how frustrating.it’s not just that the plants aren’t in good condition (which is more than irritating) but that as they are highly unlikely to survive you have the knock on effect of being left to sow fresh seed yourself - (putting you weeks behind and more than likely not even get one single ripe fruit at this stage), or being left having to hunt around looking for other seedlings/ plug plants which may not be of the variety you want.
          Cant they realise it’s not like having something like a kettle being delivered which is still useable no matter when it’s received?

Right…my brew is finished…need to crack on as we’re out for a BBQ tonight. Last day before I hit the ground running with my diet!

Enjoy your day peeps!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Morning all.

Hope your toms recover, GF, but they should arrive in better condition than that. Some delivery drivers are shocking, the way they treat parcels. More than once I've seen a driver sort his van by chucking (and I do mean chucking) lots of packages onto the road, then tossing them back in when he's found what he wanted. And I've had bouquets delivered that have clearly been through similar treatment.

I had a budgie we named Lazarus years ago. I found him one rainy day in the gutter as I was long-reining a young pony through the village. Picked him up and put him in the pocket of my waxed jacket till I got the pony home. No-one ever claimed him and he lived to a ripe old age.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

• Good morning all.
              Cloudy and very breezy but its dry.
              No plans for the day.
              Visit the church and then my grandson is coming for lunch.
              Some pottering in the garden after lunch if the rain stays away,

GF, I hope your plants recover, its unbelievable what plant and seed companies get away with,
              Delayed orders, second rate plants and large seed packets with a few seeds in the bottom of the pack.
              Somebody is getting rich and it isn't us gardener's

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Not got to the allotment yet. Mr GF saw a new book advertised in yesterdays newspaper and was muttering about ordering it from the newspaper at their "bargain" price plus p&p. I have just managed to order it cheaper from Waterstones click and collect and got confirmation so he is intent on going to get it now....only a couple of miles away and of course he'd like a browse around the store. I just hope that there are parking spaces free nearby on a Sunday. The trouble with pedestrian obsessed councils is they do not consider the needs of the elderly who cannot walk far. Mr GF was telling me to just drop him off outside the shop. Had to remind him that even though it was a main bustling thoroughfare in the sixties and seventies there is no road there now, totally pedestrian....and dying a not so slow death. Nearly all charity shops and coffee shops

Also got a couple of NHS appointment reminder texts for this week for Mr GF and for his brother. Physio and a covid booster. His brother just rang me to tell me he'd got a reminder (I booked it for him on my phone last week) never realising that it was me who forwarded it to him. Never mind I've arranged now to pick him up and take him and at least I can get him close to where he's going as the tent is in a supermarket car park.

Hopefully book collecting next and then the allotment.
                Last edited by greenishfing; 12-06-2022, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• You’re a good soul gf - so supportive and apparently () calm with it

Heat has finally put a stop to the outside jobs. It’s supposed to be 20 C out there but with UV 9 it’s just too much.
                  At least I’ve managed to clear a large area from thistles for planting out our beans. We worked hard on the soil last autumn and this spring and it’s surprisingly light to work. And yup…it was in full sun

Just enjoying a rather lovely brew. One teabag of Yorkshire tea and one of Earl Grey in the pot. It’s surprisingly much more refreshing than one or the other. It makes a nice change using a pot. I could just devour a nice slab of cake with it though

Have a great time with your grandson bramble - they will be happy memories for him in years to come.

MH….what a lovely memory! Losing my granny’s budgie was always a worry for me when I baby sat him for a few weeks at a time when she went away visiting distant relatives.
                  He love to explore my bedroom.About 10 minutes exploring and then he’d go back of his own choice.
                  Since my father was a boy she always had a blue male budgie. Each one was called Joey and lived 8-10 years.I’d never realised what characters they could be.

Comment

• Good afternoon sunshine just now but a bit blustery, did have a shower of rain this morning but everything dried op now, was out a walk with the dog before the rain came on this morning and even though we have had some very heavy showers the ground is still dry, have been down past the burn several times, and there was quite a flow in it, so evedently very heavy rain in the hills, now off to make the lunch so enjoy your day whatever you are doing
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                      You’re a good soul gf - so supportive and apparently () calm with it
                      If any of my extended family saw that as a description of me they would be rolling on the floor laughing.....particularly the calm part.🤯🤪
                      We were lucky in town, I got just about the nearest possible parking space to where I was going, still an uphill struggle for Mr GF, but he got there. I was of course muttering all the way about ****** bollards blocking off access (calmly of course🥴) At least it was downhill on the way back.

Of course, once in the shop, and Mr GF finding out that the books were buy one, get one half price, he ended up with an extra three.

On the subject of feedback and improvements I remember filling in an NHS survey a while ago about getting appointments and reminders by text and commenting that I like the system but because I got the texts for several elderly relatives on my phone (as their mobiles mainly tend to be hidden in the back of a drawer...and used only for "emergencies"!) I sometimes didn't know which one they were for. Amazingly today both my husband's and brother in laws reminders began with their Christian names.

Having a coffee and a "couple" of jaffa cakes now.

Comment

• Afternoon all.

Hope the smiles turned up more promptly than I have. Wasted the morning, I'm afraid. Had to stay in bed, as I felt really rough. My capacity for drinking wine has absolutely plummeted... According to Google, this is a good sign. And there's nothing doing outdoors this afternoon. Another high of just over 40 ºC today. Due to get hotter over the next few days too.

So, a not very productive day, all round. Apart from deciding that henceforth I shall be drinking less alcohol. Don't fancy another wasted morning like that.

Glad to read you've all been very busy on my behalf as well as your own!

Have a great rest of the day.

Comment

• I’ve opted to be designated driver tonight so it’ll just be nice refreshing water for me , maybe with a nice brew to finish off the evening.
                          Just think of all the calories I’ll have saved!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                            I’ve opted to be designated driver tonight so it’ll just be nice refreshing water for me , maybe with a nice brew to finish off the evening.
                            Just think of all the calories I’ll have saved!
                            I think alcohol-free designated drivers at any meal should always be given the option of double desserts
                            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by mothhawk View Post

I think alcohol-free designated drivers at any meal should always be given the option of double desserts
                              At least treble if it involves chocolate

Comment

• Ha!…so when are you both needing a designated driver?

Have to say that it was amazingly bright coming home. 10.47 pm and it feels too light to be going to bed after a night out!
                                The almost full moon was spectacular too.

Wonderful evening.

Sleep tight peeps - see you in the morn.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X