The Thought-Cycles Around Gardening

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thought-Cycles Around Gardening

I noticed a pattern in my thinking the other day and wondered am I alone in this? (and I know this could apply to anything, not just gardening)

... I love my allotment... I don't have time for it... I give my allotment up and grow in the garden instead (I have space)... I miss the allotment so rejoin (actually, got back my same plot, lol).... right now, I don't have the time to give it the attention it needs and I find myself idly realising I have the space to grow what I want at home instead.....

Or...

Ooooohhhh!!! A seed sale! I need all these seeds!...... I grow a handful of them, give lots away and tell myself to behave in future..... I grow what I need and am content.... I suddenly get whimsical and want to go looking for other weird and wonderful seeds to grow...

The seeds one this year I have managed to placiate quite well as I have turned one of my veg beds into a flower bed, lol.

Does anyone else goes through cycles like this?
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

I've been there with seeds. These days, I think I have a lid on my seed addiction. I'm not fully cured, but I estimate my seed bill has topped out at around £10 a year. Having already filled up the garden with plants, what's left is mostly wilderness which means a hell of a lot of clearing if I want to grow anything new.

Comment

I thnk £10 a year is a good aim for seeds to be fair. Maybe I'll even make a note on my phone and track any spends for the next growing season. How did you level yourself out with that? Or was it just a case of giving yourself a stern talking to? Lol

So, in truth, the 'seeds' I bought this year were (the world's smallest) plug plants. One set were things I specifially wanted. All perennials. The second batch was from the same place but a super cheap offer of 36 plug plants. Again, I only bought them as they were perennials but things I liked the look of. Annuals, I thinks I have found my 'flow' with - I save seeds from my dahlias (I know these are perennials if cared for properly, I'll make attempt 2 at saving the tubers this year), caelendula and cornflower. I don't plan to buy any more flowers going forward

I need to find my same flow with fruit and veg perennials / annuals. I already save things lrunner bean seeds, and will try saving tomato seeds this year (I think as a non-F1 they will stay true to variety?)

And I need to make a decision about the allotment - but there is no rush there.
      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I just spent £14 on seeds and will only get 5 packets, I shall probably order more early next year too.

Comment

I am totally addicted to seeds - collected or in packets.
          I just can’t curb the need to share them all
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X