First text message.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First text message.

This morning I got a text with a wonderful photo attached and realised that there are now young people who have been born into this technology and would find it hard to live without it.
    I can remember the first ever text I received before I knew what texts were. I was a passenger in a car in Spain and my phone (definitely not smart) tinged. I showed it to my husband and worked out how to reply.
    I think the first text I received with a photo, many years later, was from a neighbour at the allotment showing damage to the shed.
    Can anybody else remember their first texts?

Can't remember my first text but, inspired by the early text notification sound being SMS in Morse, I wrote an app that translated incoming texts into Morse code so you didn't need to get your phone out of your pocket to read the text.

Never caught on. Can't think why.

I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Only got my first phone that was more than just a mobile phone back in 2016
      I only used it for rubbish photos and what’s apping my kids and maybe one phone call a month.

I imagine my first WhatsApp would have been from my OH saying something like testing testing after having set it up for me

Thats a clever idea Q !
      ( I always think you’d make an ideal James Bond Q !)
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have no idea what my first text message was. But I do remember the phone. It was a Sony Ericsson mini pro, opened out with a small screen and a tiny but proper keyboard. I loved that phone. Only gave it up when Google would no longer support the version of Android it had but it was so old it wouldn't work with a more recent version.

I rarely use my mobile but the other day I had to send off a piece of work, as our home internet connection wasn't working. It felt ridiculous doing the letters on screen. So slow and the possibilities for spelling errors is enormous. I guess if I was doing it all the time, I'd speed up, but it's actually slower constantly checking the predictive text than it is spelling it out letter by letter.

Love the idea of Morse, QW. Would be brilliant if you could type in using Morse too. I'd go for it.

Comment

.... .- ...- . -.-- --- ..- ... . . -. - .... .. ...

http://www.unit-conversion.info/texttools/morse-code/
          Last edited by Nicos; 30-06-2021, 06:51 AM.

Comment

I can't remember the text, but I came across the phone's manual the other day in an old moving box. It was a Trium (year probably 2000), and it had a pull out antenna to improve the signal when necessary.
            A present from my brother after I kept going on about needing one (trigger was a disastrous attempt to meet up with a friend in Leicester Square, with both of us phoning my increasingly exasperated flatmate to figure out where the other person was)
            Last edited by MelanieSW; 30-06-2021, 07:18 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nicos;n2528470].... .- ...- . -.-- --- ..- ... . . -. - .... .. ...

http://www.unit-conversion.info/texttools/morse-code/[/QUOTE

I have now!

Comment

[QUOTE=Snoop Puss;n2528483]
                Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                .... .- ...- . -.-- --- ..- ... . . -. - .... .. ...

http://www.unit-conversion.info/texttools/morse-code/[/QUOTE

I have now!
                Me too .. - ·----· ... .-. .- - .... . .-. --. --- --- -.. .- -.-. - ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.--
                Last edited by Mr Bones; 30-06-2021, 09:21 AM.
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

It is, isn't it? There's another winter project for me: learn Morse.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mr Bones;n2528485]
                    Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

Me too .. - ·----· ... .-. .- - .... . .-. --. --- --- -.. .- -.-. - ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.--

Te he!
                    Last edited by Nicos; 30-06-2021, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                      It is, isn't it? There's another winter project for me: learn Morse.
                      OMG! What have I done
                      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post

OMG! What have I done
                        A good thing, QW.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X