e-readers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e-readers

I want to get an e-reader so I can download library books.

Has anyone got any advice about which is best or easiest to use? I don't want anything mega complicated, just want it for library books. And I read a lot in bed so something that's easy to use there.

I have a kindle already for books I want to buy.

Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

I use an IPad. It has a Kindle app. You can download bought books and library books to Kindle.
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Comment

I have two Kindles. For reading, I prefer the paperwhite one. I like the Kindles in part because they don't need recharging that often. I can't compare them to very recent versions or iPhones etc, because I have never used any of the newer models. Being a cheapskate I tend to buy second-hand things which means I do not have access to newer kit.

Comment

Can you get an app on the kindle that lets you download library books? I was just googling I have no idea but overdrive app was mentioned?

Comment

I use a Kindle Paperwhite and like Nick says they go ages without recharging, handy for camping especially with back lit pages, I do have a Kindle fire but that does need charging daily.
          You can download the app to a phone I started of with that then bought the Paperwhite, lots of the classics are free to download either from Amazon or Gutenberg press.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

It's library books I'm after. You can't download them to a kindle. I have a kindle paperwhite which I use a lot, especially for non-fiction and classics that I will re-read many times. But fiction I tend to only read once. I can download library books to the PC, but that's not how I want to read them.

Don't want a tablet, I want something I can hold in one hand easily.
            Endless wonder.

Comment

I use a kindle paperwhite.
              I also use a tablet to download library books.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hi MH,

"It's library books I'm after. You can't download them to a kindle"

If you can provide a link to the library books I can have a look for you to see what is possible. I used to be pretty good with computers but I don't follow new developments much these days .

Cheers Nick

Comment

Sorry mothhawk I see what you mean now, I used to have a Nook to read library books until it developed a faulty screen it looks like they've been discontinued but I've found a Kobo reader that seems similar.
                  hope this helps.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                    Hi MH,

"It's library books I'm after. You can't download them to a kindle"

If you can provide a link to the library books I can have a look for you to see what is possible. I used to be pretty good with computers but I don't follow new developments much these days .

Cheers Nick
                    Kindle will not allow library books to be downloaded. Amazon wants to sell books after all, not have you borrow from another source.
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

There are however workarounds for a lot of these things. I read a lot, and I find most of the older books which you would have to pay for on Amazon are available free of charge elsewhere if you are prepared to hunt them up. Any "txt" format public domain document (including books) can be read on a Kindle as long as you do the copying over yourself and don't rely on Amazon to do it for you.

Comment

Kindles can't read files that are DRM protected, which library books are.
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

We seem to be talking at cross purposes here. To me library books are and were books I borrowed from my local library, usually hardbacks with pages made of paper - I haven't come across DRM protection before.

Comment

Now I have finally worked out what the question meant, I did a quick Google and found this link among others :-

https://www.epubor.com/3-ways-to-rem...dle-books.html

Obviously I have no idea if this works but a lot of people think it does. Hope it helps.

All the best Nick

Comment

I'm talking about e-library books. Digital Rights protection is so that the books can't be copied and sold on without the author's permission. You "borrow" them for 3 weeks the same as treeware, and have to delete them at the end of that period.

Use this app:

https://www.borrowbox.com/
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X