Free Native Woodland

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Native Woodland

Prob in wrong forum, but i just found this on woodland trust website and thought someone might be intersted

The Woodland Trust

FREEwoods - have a new native woodland completely free To apply, please either fill out our online form – or phone 0845 293 5845.

FREEwoods is a simple Woodland Trust scheme to help you create beautiful new native woodland
    We have designed it to be:

Free, with
    Minimal paperwork, and
    No bureaucracy
    Why? One of our key aims is an increase in UK woodland
    cover – ideally 1,000 hectares of new native woodland
    every year.

FREEwoods allows us to involve more people in the joy
    of creating a new native forest of their own.

How does it work? The Trust will pay for one of our
    advisers to check land suitability, help with the design of
    the wood and the species to be planted, supply and pay for the trees, tree guards and labour to plant and maintain
    them for two years. We’ll even complete the paperwork.

All you need to do is provide the land and fence
    it off if required.

What do we need from you? Applicants must commit to
    plant at least one hectare (2.5 acres) of new native woodland under this scheme. This can be a number of smaller areas as long as they add up to one hectare.

We sincerely hope to fulfil our FREEwoods offer to every
    applicant, but if the programme is over-subscribed we will
    favour schemes where the planting is either next to ancient woodland or allows public access – preferably both.

Applications must be received by 30th November 2008 and FREEwoods will need to be planted during the winter of 2008/09.

To apply, please either fill out our online form – or phone 0845 293 5845.

For general email enquiries contact:
    naomifox@woodlandtrust.org.uk

This scheme is open to applicants in England and Wales. We are in the process of developing a similar scheme for Scotland taking into account the different grant schemes already available (see scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Rural/SRDP). We hope to provide details of this in due course.
    I have dyslexia so please excuse my spelling and grammar

nice idea, but if i had 2.5 acres it would be under cabbages by now, i doubt they would be interested in my 2.5 feet in the back garden.
    I am all for getting land under woodland were appropriate, but half the time the land could be better used for cultivation, and having it under woodland is often a tax-dodge for landowners.

oh and an added point.
    free means 'we will plant it for you', but this will still be private land, so 'free' doesn't mean free access to the public so they can benefit from it does it? so just who does it really benefit, the enviroment yes, and i get that, but..........
    Last edited by BrideXIII; 13-11-2008, 06:33 PM.
    Vive Le Revolution!!!
    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

yeah i agree it really just free for the person owning the land. I won't drive to a 1 hectare woodland to walk around either. I just thought somene might have been thinking about it like someone invovled in community/school project

Comment

there is another scheme where you can have one or two native trees as well, i'm sure thats the woodland trust too, much better if you havent got 2.5 hectares. i'll look it up if anyones interested.

Comment

You can get a hedge/copse pack from them if you are a school which comes with 30 sapling trees. Is that the thing you mean??

Comment

no i got an email last week and it was basically if you have room for a tree we'll give you one, hang on i'll look see if i still have it

Comment

it just kinda smacked of land enclosure to me, i am all for planting trees, but looking at a wood from a distance is not the same as walking in one.

but then you know me, cynical.

anyone want a chestnut tree, i have a 3 year old grown from a conker looking for a good home?
              Last edited by BrideXIII; 13-11-2008, 06:58 PM.
              Vive Le Revolution!!!
              'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
              Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

hmmmmmm i'm sure there was another one, but i found this

Could you rehome six rowans?
                Dr Tim Sparks at the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology needs to find a new home for 200 rowan trees that form part of a phenology experiment. They are approximately 1.5 metres high and if you are willing to have a group of six of different origin delivered to replant, plus commit to regular recording of their phenology, he'd like to hear from you. Send Dr Tim Sparks an email.
                ths@ceh.ac.uk?Subject=ROWANS

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII
                  it just kinda smacked of land enclosure to me, i am all for planting trees, but looking at a wood from a distance is not the same as walking in one...
                  I'm sure there's plenty to walk in...but I'd be happy knowing more woodland (that could benefit lots of diverse wildlife) was being planted and managed, rather than not.
                  To see a world in a grain of sand
                  And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X