• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I compost my tissues - yep we is posh, we are a two-hankie style household
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

Compost, or burn - they are good for getting fires in the woodburner off to a good start.

Comment

i compost all my tissues, and kitchen roll unless it's got chemicals on it ..... i do draw the line at recycling toilet roll tho

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
          Ah, but do you like quiche?
          As my granny used to say keep away from that foriegn food you do not know what is in it jacob marley
          What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

burn in this house, great for getting a good bonny going in damp weather.
            Vive Le Revolution!!!
            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
              i compost all my tissues, and kitchen roll unless it's got chemicals on it ..... i do draw the line at recycling toilet roll tho

You mean you don't use both sides! What a waste!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

To me tissues will always be yet another bit of unnecesarry disposable waste (it's neither environmentally friendly to bin them or flush them) - hankies are much nicer on the nose and last for years. Both me and OH use them (only have tissues for emergencies!), no need to boil them up these days with modern washing machines / powders and I couldn't be bothered to iron them, life's too short for ironing anything.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  To me tissues will always be yet another bit of unnecesarry disposable waste (it's neither environmentally friendly to bin them or flush them)
                  With my present cold there is no way I would use cloth hankies. Whatever I use it is going to get disposed of in one or another. Also I would need dozens of cloth hankies per day and the cost, environmentally, to wash them is probably much greater than just using a tissue (or toilet paper).
                  Sorry, can't agree with you there.

Flytrap

Comment

My ex mother -in - law always used to boil hankies in the saucepan then wash it out and cook food in it yuck yuck yuck, We use tissues there is 6 boxes on the go at any one time, one in each room that we use including the two bedrooms and one in each car. oh and one in my shed so 7 then,
                    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                    and ends with backache

Comment

Box of tissues in the shed?? Now that's posh..we have a multifunctional loo roll

( mind you my shed is on the lottie!)
                      Last edited by Nicos; 14-11-2008, 02:11 PM.
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Flytrap View Post
                        With my present cold there is no way I would use cloth hankies. Whatever I use it is going to get disposed of in one or another. Also I would need dozens of cloth hankies per day and the cost, environmentally, to wash them is probably much greater than just using a tissue (or toilet paper).
                        Sorry, can't agree with you there.

Flytrap
                        Agree that there are times when your nose is running to fast to keep up but honestly the environmental impact of hankies v tissues comes down with hankies every time, only have to create them once, don't take much space up in the wash and last for ever - no contest.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'm getting through a loo roll a day at the moment with this cold (I don't buy tissues).

Anyway, what's wrong with a sleeve?
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've just read down through this thread - every post. I never knew the whole tissues-versus-hankies-issue was so entertaining.

Me, I use tissues.

And I never iron unless something is so wrinkled it can't be worn unless it's ironed.
                            Last edited by maytreefrannie; 15-11-2008, 11:51 AM.
                            My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

The best bit about a runny nose is when it pours out when you are in bed, trying to sleep

2 rolled up pieces of tissue stuck one up each nostril...flat on back...and snoring...YEY!!!!!....works a treat!!
                              Last edited by Nicos; 15-11-2008, 03:53 PM.
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I used to use a lot of tissues when I was a teenager, but that's another story...

Is it really OK to compost them? I assumed there would be a possible problem with germs breeding.
                                Last edited by HotStuff; 15-11-2008, 12:10 PM.
                                There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X