No announcement yet.

Forum abbreviations - I'm new to this!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think the standard ones like lol or rofl or OH or whatever is ok, provided everyone knows what they mean

i do tend to type all in small letters but thats just cos i'm lazy and can only type one handed ..... i wouldn't do it for a letter though.

i think my son grew up at the right time, learned to write proper and spell before msn and texting really took off, so he missed most of it ...... it's when they start talking that way he gets told off, or when he comes out with real manc-isms in a reet broad accent that really annoys me, as he doesn't really have an accent normally.

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
      I've never quite understood the need to abbreviate on a forum, isn't it just being too lazy to type? It arose from texting where there was a need to keep the number of characters down. Now all it does it cause confusion. CMOF
      IMHO IANAL it came from Telegraph then TELEX...where you were charged by letter.

TELEX transmitted at 60 words a min, but you could type quicker, All TELEX messages started and ened with WRU (Who aRe yoU). To indentify the remote mechine.

If you cut down the number of chariters sent the OPS could then chat at the end of the message. If you were good and intune with the OP at the other end you could cut all the Vowles out nd stll th mssg wld mk snc. there by saving you 14 letters thn u cld cht.
      My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X