Is it a Record?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a Record?

One of our local newspapers is running a story about a gentleman named Stan Cox. He has been tending the same allotment in Edwinstowe for sixty years. The Edwinstowe allotments secretary asked other local allotment associations if they knew of anyone holding an allotment for longer and the longest they could come up with was about 35 years.

Stan says the allotment keeps him fit and active and despite his age (84) he has no intention of giving it up any time soon.

Do you think there would be any chance of getting GYO to run a feature about him and his plot in the magazine? I'm sure it would be very interesting.
    It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Bet he's got his plot just about right by now then, although he probably wants to just improve.............
    I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

nah bet he's got at least 2 weeds

Comment

Way to go Stan, I bet it was built into him, with the dig for victory and all that. I bet he's seen some changes in that time, there's a lot less vegetable choice around these days for a start.
        I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Here's the 'oldest working gardener' at 103 yrs- but not a 'lottie lad'

Good on him

103-year-old gardener is Britain's oldest worker | Mail Online
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Cripes if I have my lottie for 60 yrs I will be 112 yrs old !!!
            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
            and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              Here's the 'oldest working gardener' at 103 yrs- but not a 'lottie lad'

Good on him

103-year-old gardener is Britain's oldest worker | Mail Online
              I think both the gardeners and the photographers eyes are deceiving them if they think that garden is well kept. Look at those weeds!!
              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

My Uncle Horace died aged 84 having taken on both his Dad's plots when he was 19 (because his dad died) He gave up the livestock one when rationing ended in the 50's, but kept on the fruit and veg one right up until the end (about 1984). I think the plots were originally taken on by his dad when he first married in 1888, which means that plot was in the family for a heck of a long time. Recently though allotments haven't been too popular so I imagine that anyone who's had one for this amount of time is now in a very small minority. Both my grandads grew their own, but in their back gardens and there was a definite sense that they thought an allotment was 'beneath them' somehow and both acted all superior when Horace said he was off to the lottie for a bit.

If I have my lottie for another 60 years I'll be 81. Not.
                Last edited by bluemoon; 05-11-2008, 12:35 PM.
                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X